Birmingham and black country firms

andyj1970:

jase:
Heres some more pictures of P.J.Butlers & sons trucks.
Moving on from the Leyland Marathons.in between the Y reg Roadtrain ,he had a c reg Roadtrain
Hiya…which i used to see driving through LEEK on its trip from Buxton to the Birmingham area with the
V hopper trailer carring what i thought was Lime for the steel works
John

andylad1:
does anybody remember marsden and sons from greets green in west bromwich they ceased trading in the late 80s i think does anyone have any photos or stories about this firm

hi andylad1 I worked there as a mechanic :smiley:

glover:

andylad1:
does anybody remember marsden and sons from greets green in west bromwich they ceased trading in the late 80s i think does anyone have any photos or stories about this firm

hi andylad1 I worked there as a mechanic :smiley:

Were their wagons AECs or Albions,dark blue with gold writing as I seem to remember a Marsden running up the A38 with steel strip.

Rounds transport (Netherton) Limited
flickr.com/photos/66188058@N … /lightbox/

With reference to Unisant Transport in Powke Lane:-

Trevor Leicester was the transport manager there and his assistant was a cockney guy called Geoff who always said “Gold” after every sentence.

Hope this is of interest. I used to work in the office for my dad at Rounds Transport, Netherton.

wagsie:
Can anyone remember Oak Transport, Dartmouth street, West Bromwich…Red lorries, Leylands i think…My dad was the Mechnic there…

hi Wagsie I’m new on here my elder brother worked for oak transport in the early 60s he drove a ERF lv pulling a 4in line dropside trl I think they had a couple of bmc six wheelers and some leyland 4 wheelers was the gaffers name warren something brgds ron

can anyone remember a transport co in greets grn called smith they ran green motors with brockhouse painted on the sideboards I think the gaffer was a woman

A friend of mine sent me this picture of a Guy belonging to Oldbury Transport. Anybody know anything about them?

Chris.

marathon1975:

r slicker:
here is a blast from the past for you.

i worked at stokes drums in west brom. are they still going ?. 2 ford cargo tractor units all steel drums handball on handball off. thats how i honed my crown green bowling skills rolling them off. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

still going but contracy load out know this is the last truck my dad drove he had it from new[/quote

Brilliant thanks. i had the x target express cargo cant remember the reg number hull and back was a challenge with its small tank and june used to give me £20.00 to buy fuel on the way back. used to go there at 50mph and back and always just made it back and shoved the 20 in my back pocket. good old days.

Chris Webb:
A friend of mine sent me this picture of a Guy belonging to Oldbury Transport. Anybody know anything about them?

Chris.

Evening all, Chris, Oldbury Transport… The Richardson twins, Roy, and Don.

Foden, AEC and Leyland agency, skip hire, contract hire, (before anyone knew what it was). All of Fodens 680 Leyland powered stock, all the 14.5ton BMC stock, (great for the Tarmac lads…untill first test, …then down to 14.25tons…the 14.5 only for council use!!! Main Edbro agents, anything you could want, really anything,(at their price)!!!

Oldbury Transport, Richardsons of Rugeley, and others. 100 London Road Oldbury,…I remember going as a youth with my Uncle to buy ropes and chains from their father, outside a big caravan, surrounded by ex forces stock!!!

Little suspecting that years later they would want me to work for them!!! I did not, but still have good memories of them.

Now, sadly Don gone, but an enormous property empire, run by the next generation, developed Merry Hill, (before Paul Sykes did his development, in your Sheffield)!!! But the rootes are still in lorries!!

By the way Gerald Broadbent still rates his cab design on that Guy as one of his best,…mind out for the Horse Trams, (my dream summer job…but no nappies)!! Cheerio for now.

Hi Saviem you are nearly correct with the address 100 dudley road east just past the blue ball pub brades vllage brgds ron quote=“Saviem”]

Chris Webb:

Chris.

Foden, AEC and Leyland agency, skip hire, contract hire, (before anyone knew what it was). All of Fodens 680 Leyland powered stock, all the 14.5ton BMC stock, (great for the Tarmac lads…untill first test, …then down to 14.25tons…the 14.5 only for council use!!! Main Edbro agents, anything you could want, really anything,(at their price)!!!

Oldbury Transport, Richardsons of Rugeley, and others. 100 London Road Oldbury,…I remember going as a youth with my Uncle to buy ropes and chains from their father, outside a big caravan, surrounded by ex forces stock!!!

Little suspecting that years later they would want me to work for them!!! I did not, but still have good memories of them.

Now, sadly Don gone, but an enormous property empire, run by the next generation, developed Merry Hill, (before Paul Sykes did his development, in your Sheffield)!!! But the rootes are still in lorries!!

By the way Gerald Broadbent still rates his cab design on that Guy as one of his best,…mind out for the Horse Trams, (my dream summer job…but no nappies)!! Cheerio for now.
[/quote]

Evening all, chainmaker, you are right!! (I am wrong)!! Is London Rd the continuation, going down towards Tipton?

The other “nice” operation down Dudley Rd, was the late Les Pottenger, LPT Transport, whose fleet was kept top line by the late Johnny Yapp, and Gentlemen, for those of you who do not know the Black Country men, LPTs fleet was impressive, to say the least!! As had been Chris Fosters fleet before he bought Round Oak Motor Services. And of course Johnny Yapp kept the Foster fleet superb in gloss Black and red, including their V8 AEC Mandator, which he got to run with reliability!!!

Happy days indeed, Im away to the Bollinger, Cheerio for now.

Saviem:
Evening all, chainmaker, you are right!! (I am wrong)!! Is London Rd the continuation, going down towards Tipton?

The other “nice” operation down Dudley Rd, was the late Les Pottenger, LPT Transport, whose fleet was kept top line by the late Johnny Yapp, and Gentlemen, for those of you who do not know the Black Country men, LPTs fleet was impressive, to say the least!! As had been Chris Fosters fleet before he bought Round Oak Motor Services. And of course Johnny Yapp kept the Foster fleet superb in gloss Black and red, including their V8 AEC Mandator, which he got to run with reliability!!!

Hi Saviem
A bloke near where i lived as a kid drove a Mandator for fosters. Always spotless, including the chassis of the trailers which were painted silver IIRC.

Graham

Thanks for the info regarding Oldbury Transport Saviem.I have relayed the info to my friend who says he should have twigged the Richardson connection. :smiley:

Chris

Hi Saviem I’m sorry never heard of london rd oldbury or tividale the continuation of dudleyeast is dudley rd west andtipton rd(at the fork) theres a london st in Smethwick but you may be thinking of london works steel (roling mills) who had a continuous mill on dudley rd east they also had a cross coutry mill in oldbury town (the anhour works) birchfield lane its now called church bridge I thinkbrgds ron

bloxotrix:

Saviem:

Hi Saviem
A bloke near where i lived as a kid drove a Mandator for fosters. Always spotless, including the chassis of the trailers which were painted silver IIRC.

Graham

J J Field in the snow

chainmaker:
Hi Saviem you are nearly correct with the address 100 dudley road east just past the blue ball pub brades vllage brgds ron quote=“Saviem”]

Chris Webb:

Chris.

[/quote]
Was Oldbury Transfer anything to do with Oldbury Transport?

Regards Jack.

rubberduck26:
Does anybody remember r howell based in electric avenue, witton?
My dad worked there in the 80’s.
They ran f7 volvo’s, think they had an f6 tractor unit aswell doing european work
He also worked for a company called sutcliffes, not sure where they were based but i remember my dad saying he had a black f89 with a gold s on the door.
He did have his own motors aswell, hewitts haulage, 2 110 scanias and a 111.
Again not sure where the yard was.
Sadly my dad passed away 10 yrs ago but any info would be much appreciated.

I known Lennie Venables and George James cannot think of the other driver off Sutcliffes they had 111 scania`s gold and one black one

Anyone remember WT Aldridge in Fellows Street Woverhampton i worked there after leaving Mainline Haulage later i upgraded to a Transcontinental doing Italy 1 of 3 they owned

Wt Aldridge draw bar.png

transcon.jpg

Has anyone got any photos of MEIRS TRANSPORT, run by REG MEIRS.

They were from Broad Lane , Bradmore, Wolverhampton and ran milk tankers doing collections for Mid-Counties dairies.

My grandad and great grandad both drove for them and would be well chuffed if anyone has any photos

JG