Bell lines newport

Hi all, first post here.

Thought you might like this old photo of Ollie Huish’s White carrying a 40ft Bell container. It’s a scan of a double page pic that I restored on PS from an early 80’s edition of Truck magazine which I used to buy as a kid and recently found in the attic. I used to live on The Coldra, so Bell trucks were a very familiar sight and in particular, we used to drool over this rare beast.

(Copyright to Truck magazine if it still exists under some other title today.)

MackTruck2.jpg

hi lads, is there any ex bell lines newport drivers here from 80’s 90’s or does anybody have any pictures? i drove for john beynon evans pulling a 20ft tipping trailer with a merc… firms there then were bevan brothers roy and russell, cj morris, steve swain,swains, wts,roger marshall, clissolds,david taylor garages,john edwards,jon dark… drivers mike, ray, (snowy rip) dusty, dave all on bevan & sons… charlie, butty ,aubry on cj morris. arthur and tony on wts,steve and clive from john edwards to name but a few… any feed back or pics would be great… paul jb evans 95…

Hi Paul,
I know the firms you mention,but don’t know any of the drivers. I know a few that drove for John Evans,but I think thats a different firm to the one that you drove for.I’m sure someone on here will know them.
Cheers Dave.

Hi Paul.
I remember Bell Lines Newport,changing over at Symonds Yat in the 70s,presumably with the North East drivers.They reckoned that they had allocated parking slots but I never saw any signs and there were many arguments on the southbound side :laughing: Sorry no photos though.

Hi ,here are a couple of pics from the scrapbook. :smiley:

Cheers Bubbs. :wink:

used to drive part time for a guy who subbed on Bell Line from Teesport.

bubbleman:
Hi ,here are a couple of pics from the scrapbook. :smiley:

Cheers Bubbs. :wink:

thanks bubbs… that daf my grandfather had her brand new when he drove for john… spent a lot of school hols in the passenger seat of that truck…
if you have any more pics it would be great… fantastic seeing that truck again…
regards paul…

Chris Webb:
Hi Paul.
I remember Bell Lines Newport,changing over at Symonds Yat in the 70s,presumably with the North East drivers.They reckoned that they had allocated parking slots but I never saw any signs and there were many arguments on the southbound side :laughing: Sorry no photos though.

thanks chris, i was only a kid in the seventies and was in and out of bells with my grandfather jack white who drove for j.b.e… can remember nights out in whitchurch the raven and symonds yat…

The Biker:
used to drive part time for a guy who subbed on Bell Line from Teesport.

There were a couple of Bell Line motors used to park in Pickhill near Thirsk

Hi, I used to drive for Russell Bevan on and off for 3 years. He helped me through uni by giving me night runs to Tilbury, Liverpool plus Seawheel work etc. We used to do a lot of Bell Line work or Seawheel as went too. I spent alot of time at Avonmouth when it went over there. Many a good night with the Graham from CJ Morrris aka DANSAS (Day and night saturday and sunday), Delbert from CJ Morris, Flapper from Lloyds and others… I have pics somewhere…

WN
He was based in Harrogate and had a low cab 112 and 6 wheel roadtrain

placidcasual:
Hi, I used to drive for Russell Bevan on and off for 3 years. He helped me through uni by giving me night runs to Tilbury, Liverpool plus Seawheel work etc. We used to do a lot of Bell Line work or Seawheel as went too. I spent alot of time at Avonmouth when it went over there. Many a good night with the Graham from CJ Morrris aka DANSAS (Day and night saturday and sunday), Delbert from CJ Morris, Flapper from Lloyds and others… I have pics somewhere…

we prob met somewhere… graham from cj morris and flapper good guys… would be great to see pics if you can dig them out…

I used to pull Bell line boxes out of mostly Teesport with the ocasional trip down to Newport in a previous life.
This was my first proper truck. Cat powered with a 13spd fuller.
Drivers used to get treated with contempt by most Bell line staff and there was a kind of poetic justice when a disasterous truck and trailer leasing deal with Lex transfleet contributed to their demise.

wire:
I used to pull Bell line boxes out of mostly Teesport with the ocasional trip down to Newport in a previous life.
This was my first proper truck. Cat powered with a 13spd fuller.
Drivers used to get treated with contempt by most Bell line staff and there was a kind of poetic justice when a disasterous truck and trailer leasing deal with Lex transfleet contributed to their demise.

thanks wire, loved the run up to teesport usually to collect an 20ft ici box

when i was a truck mad kid growing up in south wales in the 70’s,our family business was located next door to a company called j&m transport,one of their jobs was storage and onward delivery of zinc ingots for bell lines.i have many photos from that era and will post them as soon as i figure out how to!

here we go.[/img]

sorry guys! i seem to be making a pigs ear of this!

Nice one Andrew,you’ve cracked it,tidy F88.

placidcasual:

I see graham most days tipping at our place with chemicals,been there 20 years he said.He is still on for cj morris.Derek green has retired but still does a bit for cj morris when he’s adriver down.I havn’t heard anything about flapper for a long time.My father in law worked there for a few good years,
Gordie,wears a flat cap.Charlie is retired but does a few days for a local breakers yard.Aubrey is long retired and Glyn aka the bear.Mouse sadly died a few years ago.Lived just across the road from me.

Tonyb

Spent a few years at Bell Lines at Spyatty Lane ( wrong spelling) in Newport… Bubblemans photo of AAX 819T the Bell Rebel was driven by Frank Simms and the number plates on the front reffered to him and his son Adrian… I remember this from a very awkward moment in the shipping office when one of the Lloyds of Ludlow drivers asked if Adrian was the name of his boyfriend!!!