BEFORE you book your training, READ THIS........

ianhl:
Thanks, I was going to just put a link up but have seen there is already one there, Tony knight in Crawley is someone I recommend 100% ,the thing that impressed me the most was that unlike some of the other places I contacted that promised you this and promised you that i,e guaranteed pass/ guaranteed work afterwards etc , the only thing he guarantees is the fact that when your test comes he will have prepared you for it!.
As i said before hes a good instructor and when I save my pennies up Im going back to him to get my C+E

Good for him that is the only guarantee any one can give…the only one we have ever given.

wesshaw81:
I’m so glad I found this site! At the end of the month, I was going to pay a deposit to DirectLGV. After browsing the boards here though, I think I will go direct to a local school. I was going to go the whole hog, and book back to back catagory C and C+E courses. Would this be the best way? Or would it be wiser to try for the cat C 1st, and gain experience that way, then try to upgrade to the C+E.
I’m looking to change job’s as at the moment I’m driving a taxi, and at the moment it isn’t going anywhere. And hasn’t been for some time now…
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Welcome weeshaw81 if you would like any advice feel free to PM me or call all the best.

Yes., Going direct should save time and money. If something sounds too good to be true. It normally is just that. Too good to be true.

You can find some useful tips and local providers at www.hgvlgvtraining.co.uk

seanpargeter:
You can find some useful tips and local providers at hgvlgvtraining.co.uk

and on this site by clicking the link in my signature below :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I quote from hgvlgvtraining website ‘We only promote companies that employ DSA or RTITB approved instructors’.

Well there checking system still isn’t working because I know of one on their site who do not employ either DSA or RTITB approved instructors - and it’s not us! It’s not the first time I’ve mentioned this either!

Hi. www.hgvlgvtraining.co.uk here. Just read the previous post. We do require mebers to employ DSA approved instructors. That is the criteria. Those that are found not to have DSA approval will be removed.

Hi all. im in the process of choosing a training school. I live not too far from E.P training in Leatherhead.Has anyone ever used them an could anyone give some reviews on them if so. Any input would be appreciated. cheers :smiley:

eddie41085:
Hi all. im in the process of choosing a training school. I live not too far from E.P training in Leatherhead.Has anyone ever used them an could anyone give some reviews on them if so. Any input would be appreciated. cheers :smiley:

Have answered you in a new post - HERE :slight_smile:

First of all, let me introduce myself. My names karl, im 28, from Gloucester and ive recently been offered the financial opportunity to take my C And C+E licenses. Its something ive wanted to do now for the past 5 years but could never, fully afford to do them. Im a fully qualified bricklayer but about 2 years ago, something beautiful but unfortunate happened in my life, which meant i had to give up work and around that time, work had slowed down to a stop, due to the recession (which in a way was a blessing). I Took a year off to take care of things and then about 4 months ago, i re-took my Counterbalance and reach truck licenses and went back to working in a warehouse for a company called Ceva logistics. And just when i think ive found a stable income in these hard times, The company announces that they are moving 200 miles away because “business would be more practical”. A couple of days later, i received a phone call from a family member whod heard about this and offered to pay for me to do my HGV licenses. This for me is a huge step and its been something that ive thought long and hard about, my wife agrees that i should go for it if i`m really keen ( i am 100% up for the new challenge) And i have no disillusions of “how hard can it be, sitting behind a wheel allday”. :smiley:

Now then, to My point of posting.
Im so glad that i found this site because, ive been racking my brains as to which company to go with. I did about 2 days research on reputable driving schools and the 2 names that jumped out at me were, C&G europe, gloucester and Universal.
I did come across a company called Advantage and their write up was pretty engaging, offering all kinds of discounts for booking with them, choosing back to back courses and so on so (just for research purposes) i left my number on an email, asking for prices on courses.

With-in 2 hours, i had a friendly young guy phoning me up and asking me questions on how serious i was about wanting to be a lorry driver and what sort of “candidate” could i be for his company, how would i be paying for the course,blah blah blah…(i think he called it an “assessment” interview) But in all honestly, this guys sounded like he was just out of training shorts and was reading everything of a screen…EVERYTHING! :smiley:

After about 1 hour (and me being 5 minutes l8 for work), he hit me with the funniest thing ive ever heard, ""so i understand, youll be paying with your wifes card, As a favour to you i could phone her up for you to get the payment and start the ball rolling!“” I aint being funny but i hadnt even said what course/courses i wanted to do, so i had to stop him right there and cut him dead…

I got talking to a lorry driver that comes into load up about it, l8r on in the day and he told me about this site and what it was all about and im so glad he did, this was the first post i looked at and it saved me from paying money that i obviously would have lost, had i have gone with this “monkey-broker” firm. The company i have chosen to go with is C&G because, they have good pass rates, good accreditations and most of the local drivers took their licenses with C&G and rave on how good they are. Plus the fact that it has also been listed on this site and as professional drivers, i`m more likely to take your word for it.

I have my medical booked for the 21st of may which is costing £76 (my local doctors). I`m told that its reasonable but could be a little bit cheaper. What do you guys think, Personally i think its wrong that we should pay for something that will eventually work towards getting us a job but, if i gotta pay, i gotta pay.

My job ends in 2 months time and as soon as it is, im going to grab the bull by the horns and book my course (ill take my theory test before hand just so i can jump straight in, provi)ding i pass.

As a final, i just want to say that any help that any of you have, will be greatly received and i look forward to a long and knowledgable time here. I know that this is the right place to be at the time of my new career venture. :slight_smile:

Stonehouse69 - I have replied to you HERE :slight_smile:

Hi All,

I have just joined the forum and got my first Class 1 full time driving job and thought it might be nice to recommend the Training that I got.

I shopped around and found a lot of ‘corporate’ sounding companies, they wanted me to pay for an information pack that included my ‘D2’ medical form as I was in a hurry to get it. For these reasons I kept on phoning other people, it sounded too dodgy before i even started.

The only company that offered a ‘D2’ freely, posting at their own cost is the company I ended up training with.

Atlas LGV in Doncaster are fantastic. The assesment lesson was £25 inc VAT, they have their own yard for reversing exercises and braking exercises and their own Class 1 and Class 2 Scania’s, both the same age roughly so easy to switch from one to the other.

The whole process of practical driving tuition and tests took me 1 month, Class 2 - got 8 minors and Class 1- got 4 minors.

Class 2 - Total 16 hours tuition + Test
Class 1 - Total 13 hours tuituion + Test

Total cost including test fees = £2090 inc VAT

The times given are based on what I needed, individual tuition hours are worked out from a good assesment lesson.

Hope this helps anyone in the Yorkshire/North Lincolnshire area.

Matt

I think anyone who wants to do any kind of training should probably look on Google earth, if the training school is located in a hi rise flat in Dagenham or Derby then maybe it is not for you, however it is on an industrial estate it may be worth a further look :laughing:

Highway HGV. Has anybody got any reviews about these guys?

Sorry mate, but due to the serious nature of the allegation that you have made, we’ve had to temporarily remove the content of your post until we can verify it.

Please watch for a private message (PM.)

blueovalcraig:
Highway HGV. Has anybody got any reviews about these guys?

Highway HGV appear to have a school at their headquarters, and are brokers (middlemen) for driver training across the rest of the country.
As has been mentioned throughout this thread. Find an LGV driver training establishment near you. Check them out. Have a good look at their facilities and equipment and if they meet your requirements, use them. Giving your hard earned cash to a middleman is rarely a good idea.
However it is your hard earned cash, to do with as you like.

Good comments Simon. Go direct not through a 3rd party. Why pay a brokers when it’s easier, cheaper and less hassle to go direct? U can google my user name and visit the 1st site under natural listings. We only promote indies that are DSA approved (instructor or centre)

hgvlgvtraining

Very nice information and helpful topic is posted.
Good post…

Highway HGV?

Please click on link below

hgvlgvtraining.co.uk/blog/20 … nd-guilty/

ROG:
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ROG
FROM HERE
:
Over the past few months I have had quite a few PMs asking if this or that company are brokers (middlemen) so I thought a list of them might be useful.

It is recommended by those on this site that the potential LGV trainee should visit the school they may wish to train with so that they can meet the instructor(s) and perhaps view the truck(s) and any facilities before parting with any money.

I am delberately not going to make comments as to the credibility, or not, of any broker - I am quite sure members will post their own personal experiences or views if they wish to.
Please remember that this site has rules on making unfounded accusations or deflamatory remarks etc

BROKERS
easyashgv.co.uk
britishschooloftrucking.com
advantagehgv.co.uk
highwaylgv.co.uk
directlgv.co.uk
thelgvtrainingcompany.co.uk
hgvtrainingbroker.co.uk/index.html
networkhgv.co.uk/index.htm
hgvexpress.co.uk/index.html
focushgv.co.uk/index.htm
drivelgv.co.uk/

Any more?

Please add Highway HGV to your list highwayhgvtraining.co.uk

I have been using this website for a couple of weeks now and even though its a paid website I still think its a fantastic website to learn on.

Not sure if this has been linked in the forums before but here it is just incase.

http://www.drivingtheory4all.co.uk

Goodluck with your theory and hazzard perception tests :wink: