Barred From Aldi

IronEddie:
Curious as to where this stems from. Is it just warehouse managers trying their luck.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Lack of time given by upper management. Having to split and break down pallets requires staff members and their time which could be spent doing other things. So the ones in their Ivory Towers have sent down instructions that if pallets are mixed then its down to the driver to sort them. Having spoken to a driver who was hiding the fact his pallets were mixed, he told me its their way of making the suppliers put everything of one type on one pallet etc.

Radar19:

IronEddie:
Curious as to where this stems from. Is it just warehouse managers trying their luck.

Lack of time given by upper management. Having to split and break down pallets requires staff members and their time which could be spent doing other things. So the ones in their Ivory Towers have sent down instructions that if pallets are mixed then its down to the driver to sort them. Having spoken to a driver who was hiding the fact his pallets were mixed, he told me its their way of making the suppliers put everything of one type on one pallet etc.

And how much does the supplier care if the warehouse staff or driver are breaking down pallets? I think I know the answer!

IronEddie:

Radar19:

IronEddie:

And how much does the supplier care if the warehouse staff or driver are breaking down pallets? I think I know the answer!

They would do if they kept getting rejected all the time.

The-Snowman:
Took a load of bread to Aldi yesterday. 18 pallets
Gets on the bay and heads in.
“Lanes 23 to 26 driver” says the guy so I get a pallet truck and start unloading it. Just as I have about 4 pallets left the guy goes over to me
“These pallets are mixed. You need to seperate the trays onto individual pallets. You’ll get spare ones over there” he says, and uses his chewed pencil to point to where they are in the corner
“No, thats not my job mate” says I, shaking my head
“What?” says he
“Taking it off the trailer is one thing but im not breaking down pallets as well. Im not a stock boy”
“You need to”
“No I dont actually”
“The other drivers do”
“Ok. But im not doing it”
“well im not signing for it”
“well dont sign for it then. Ill just mark on it you refused to sign for it”

(Ive simplified the conversation slightly but that was the jist of it. Neither of us was cheeky, rude or hostile)

After a bit of deliberation, he reluctantly signed the paperwork and I went back to the depot. By the time I arrived back, the desk man says to me “What happened at Aldis?” so I told him the general outline.

“Well hes been on the phone and says you’re not allowed on site anymore”.

Not quite the crushing blow thatll give me sleepless nights he seems to think it is! :laughing:

I know theres mixed feeling regarding lidl and aldis self tip policy. I fall on the “I dont mind as long as its a motorised pallet truck” side but there has to be a line. Seems I crossed it! :laughing:

obviously the loading point havent read the aldi rules, when they load it they supposed too group the same products together thus freeing up the time spent tipping so that when you tip it comes off in groups of the same product but well done i did the same with a load of lager.

There’s some great answers on here, especially the Dutch bloke, but in all seriousness, I never did mind helping out with tipping, but restacking and sorting it out… farkoff.

Trukkertone:
ask for the Bar in writing… and keep it for the rest of your career…
and see if you can get a Lidl one as well…

Wot’s the going rate for these on Ebay these days then? :stuck_out_tongue:

This self tipping is getting stupid now,because drivers tipped themselves they now want you to cut the wrap and bin it,line up the pallets in order etc etc,
Now I don’t mind self tipping but the problem is these “yes” men that will do anything they are told in fear of getting the load refused.
Iv heard drivers say it’s part of there job to do this, :open_mouth: well it’s not part of your job you are a driver not an aldi warehouse person…
Like I say I don’t mind self tipping but they are taking the urine now.

Do Lidl and Aldi pay suppliers to have their deliveries tipped and split down by the delivering haulier? Or is this a free of charge service we’re providing them with?

I think you’ll find it’s in the contract terms.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

Is it though? I’d imagine that any contract a haulier had would be with the supplier and not the likes of Aldi/Lidl etc. I’d also imagine that the subject of drivers self tipping and more wouldn’t even enter into negotiations.

damoq:
Do Lidl and Aldi pay suppliers to have their deliveries tipped and split down by the delivering haulier? Or is this a free of charge service we’re providing them with?

I think you’ll find that the receiver sees it as an added value service and the supplier allows it to smooth the way of the deal. I would think that most hauliers put up with it to keep the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got “banned” from an Aldi site a few months ago, not for refusing to tip the load, but for having the cheek to ask for the truck keys back after I finished tipping, went back in a week later and the guy that banned me didn’t say a word, although I guess he got a ticking off for his behaviour to a suppliers driver.
To add, I find it quite bizzare that drivers accept jobs at companies that deliver on a regular basis to Aldi and Lidl, then moan to anyone that will listen to them whilst self tipping their load or when they are on a truck forum, perhaps they missed the bit about having to self tip now and then at interview or failed to ask where they will be expected to tip just to save them having to moan about it.

the maoster:

Roymondo:

Is it though? I’d imagine that any contract a haulier had would be with the supplier and not the likes of Aldi/Lidl etc. I’d also imagine that the subject of drivers self tipping and more wouldn’t even enter into negotiations.

I was referring to the contract which exists between supplier and customer for the supply of the goods concerned.

The supplier may or may not have brought this requirement to the attention of the haulier…

I’d love to know how it works! If they do pay a premium to suppliers for drivers to split and tip loads, where does the money go? Do the suppliers pocket the money to boost their profits? Or do they pass it on to the hauliers? Either way, looks like the drivers are getting the ■■■■■ end of the deal.

So without nitpicking what’s happens if you pull your back stripping stock who is responsible there is nowhere in any drivers contact that says it’s part of your job.
So most are doing it just to get away quickly the truth been they still wait ages for paper work.
We don’t get paid enough for doing two jobs but you can be sure the hauliers who do that work have agreed something with the likes of aldi or lidl and are probably getting extra money for it and not paying you any extra

This splitting of loads to Aldi and/or Lidl is something that wonders me.

Whenever I have loaded at suppliers on the continent for Aldi and Lidl in Germany or the Benelux, and they have only a couple of cartons of one item, they would stack different pallets, with each one product, on top of each other and film them so you got one europallet consisting of different pallets with different products. These pallets are always accepted at Lidl or Aldi, so no splitting necessary.
Whenever I am at Aldi or Lidl distribution centers, it is rare to see drivers splitting pallets so most suppliers deliver like this.
So suppliers know Aldi and Lidl will not accept pallets with different products, and I presume the contracts for suppliers will be the same all over Europe, so if this is possible in the rest of europe, why would this be a problem in the UK ?

Who ever your delivering a load for, its their problem for cramming as much on a pallet as they can.
Most regular suppliers know they are not supposed to mix pallets but do it just to try and save on sending another motor,instead of keeping the items split and doubling one pallet on top of another
Once the load leaves their premises they leave the driver to take the flack,knowing full well when they get a phone call they can blame anybody and everybody barring themselves.

I reckon more firms are telling incoming drivers “You cannot take your break on our bays bud” (umpteen bays, you’re the only one occupying one)

It’s so they can ask you to do “Other Work”.

I suppose you could always pull the 6 hours WTD “must have break now” thing, combined with “I don’t mind waiting”.

Make sure that you really don’t though - or they’ll have you there for 3-4 hours like at Nobbies of old…
Now Nobbies is XPO - has anything much changed btw?

This is a perfect example of why you should be very careful if you decide to unload/load with manual/electric pallet trucks that you haven’t been trained by Aldi to use

ioshmagazine.com/article/in … t-training

When i did a trial shift at lidl for a company paired up with another driver i lasted 6 hours self loading and self tipping. One trip was enough, guy asked me where i was going and i said “i may be new to this game and not currently employed but im not this desperate yet”

Then had two other companies try to take advantage with the same unpaid trial shifts, both told to do one.