Average speed cameras

More and more smart cameras linked to Anpr systems or road sensors , they also work 24hrs a day using infrared. More and more have zero tolerance so even a couple of mph over gives you a Fixed penalty .
Plus LOADS of camera vans being used and regular police and VOSA joint operations along heavy usage routes especially at night . If you look closely the police sometimes have an extra presence at ferry ports monitoring traffic and this just happens to coincide with operations further along the main routes .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

harrawaffa:
I’m up and down Dundee to Aberdeen a couple of times a week. On the limiter all the way since the new cameras went up just the same as when the Gatso cameras were there. No tickets. Just need to slow down for the Laurencekirk section.

Why? Its no different there

chaversdad:

harrawaffa:
I’m up and down Dundee to Aberdeen a couple of times a week. On the limiter all the way since the new cameras went up just the same as when the Gatso cameras were there. No tickets. Just need to slow down for the Laurencekirk section.

Drops down to 50 for everyone including cars. That junction has always had a lower speed limit than the rest of the road. The Gatso that used to be there was set at 50 where as the rest were set at 70.

edd1974:
It doesn’t look good for me then as I’m a coach driver who drives an Audi… :open_mouth: :laughing:

And I’m guessing you tow a stupid caravan as well
[/quote]
Do I hell!!

harrawaffa:

chaversdad:

harrawaffa:

Drops down to 50 for everyone including cars. That junction has always had a lower speed limit than the rest of the road. The Gatso that used to be there was set at 50 where as the rest were set at 70.

I appreciate that but the limit for a trucks 50 on all of it so the bit were its 50 for everyone shouldnt make any difference, i just leave it on the limiter all the way from Inverness to Dunblane

DAF95XF:

Freight Dog:

edd1974:
I haven’t tried it . But do see other wagons going flat out which made me wonder. And don’t even get me started on speed limit for coaches. If we have to do 56 they should as there carrying human beings.

Why is the maximum speed on motorways for coaches 70? They’re heavy goods vehicles really. Weigh, what 10/12 tonnes? Goods are humans like you say. In my opinion and personal experience they commonly seem to be driven badly. Normally worse for tailgating than Audi’s :laughing:

It doesn’t look good for me then as I’m a coach driver who drives an Audi… :open_mouth: :laughing:

Ha. Is it an Audi coach too? :laughing:

Freight Dog:

DAF95XF:

Freight Dog:

edd1974:
I haven’t tried it . But do see other wagons going flat out which made me wonder. And don’t even get me started on speed limit for coaches. If we have to do 56 they should as there carrying human beings.

Why is the maximum speed on motorways for coaches 70? They’re heavy goods vehicles really. Weigh, what 10/12 tonnes? Goods are humans like you say. In my opinion and personal experience they commonly seem to be driven badly. Normally worse for tailgating than Audi’s :laughing:

Ha. Is it an Audi coach too? :laughing:

No it’s a Scania :laughing:

chaversdad:

harrawaffa:

chaversdad:

harrawaffa:

I appreciate that but the limit for a trucks 50 on all of it so the bit were its 50 for everyone shouldnt make any difference, i just leave it on the limiter all the way from Inverness to Dunblane

You’re not even talking about the same road as me. That’s the A9. OP and myself are talking about A90. But yes you can sit on the limiter all the way up the A9 if you’re lucky enough to get a clear road.

All these increases in cameras and lowering the tolerances tells me that they’re getting more and more desperate, it would be interesting to see any stats that prove they have made the roads safer, or is it that more people are sticking to speed limits nowadays and they’re trying to stop a nice revenue stream from drying up.
Roll on fully automated vehicles…their profits from speeding and parking fines would disappear, then where will they get their cash from?

edd1974:
Not been for a while but was up the a9 to aviemore bit ago was signs up hgv trial speed 60 mph instead of 50. Is that still going on. Should be rolled out on dual carriages ways in the country if no lights roundabouts etc about

No the trial speed is 50mph not 40mph, because parts of the A9 are single carriageway. As is usual with Scotland it is still backward vis a vis speed limits. In places 50 and 60 mph would be perfectly acceptable. In others eg A82 no way unless you are a ■■■■■■ I mean logger driver.

There were some new average cameras installed down my way (A565 between Southport and Tarleton) - they are for a 50mph limit (on a duel carriageway which they claim is an accident hotspot). They released the figures for tickets issued, none were for speeds below 56mph. I regularly travel at 55mph and haven’t heard anything.

Ironically this accident reduction technique proved useless as there was an accident on that stretch not long after they were turned on !

There is a 50mph section of the A127 that has average speed cameras,it also has a 70mph section also covered by cameras then after that none.The thing is when you enter the 50 from the 70 most of the time you are tailgated by idiots who don’t seem to know or care about the cameras.Perhaps they know something I don’t,they could be switched off,you wouldn’t know until you got a ticket,then it would be too late.

Has anyone on here actually had a ticket for speeding through a set of “average” cameras?

If we’re on the limiter, we can do 56mph. There are many sets of roadworks on motorways around the country with 40 or 50mph speed limits AND “Average” cameras. That means all these trucks hurtling through the roadworks on the limiter (and frequently “on the phone” as well!) in theory should be getting speeding citations all the time - surely?

Winseer:
Has anyone on here actually had a ticket for speeding through a set of “average” cameras?

If we’re on the limiter, we can do 56mph. There are many sets of roadworks on motorways around the country with 40 or 50mph speed limits AND “Average” cameras. That means all these trucks hurtling through the roadworks on the limiter (and frequently “on the phone” as well!) in theory should be getting speeding citations all the time - surely?

There are a PILE of “average speed” camera’s on the A2 Belfast to Bangor one of NI’s busiest roads.
Pile of traffic lights on it too.

Last time stats were published the camera’s had caught a grand total of FIFTEEN drivers over a THREE year period!!![emoji50]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

I remember an M1 stretch that had “800 drivers convicted so far this year” on it around 2012. Have not seen any such signs since though.

Because the average cameras don’t flash - you never knew if you’ve been caught or not. The way so many drivers run through the roadworks on the limiter with impunity - suggests that no one is getting done, ever, of course.

I’d never speed through road works. But on long open empty roads I would

Winseer:
The way so many drivers run through the roadworks on the limiter with impunity - suggests that no one is getting done, ever, of course.

Unless you go through the post of these drivers how would you know they dont receive NIPs? Not seeing a patrol car with "bluesntwos" pulling them over isnt evidence they are getting away with it.

Big Truck:
Last time stats were published the camera’s had caught a grand total of FIFTEEN drivers over a THREE year period!!![emoji50]

Maybe you missed this in the BelfastLive site?
w.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/psni-reveal-number-drivers-caught-12752433
1,100 prosecutions year to March 2017 on the A2.
“The number of drivers caught by the average speed cameras on the A2 in the last year has been revealed.
More than 1,100 motorists were caught on the A2 carriageway between Bangor and Belfast in the last year by the average speed cameras.
Police released the figures to break the common misconception in the area that the cameras do not catch anyone.”

Franglais:

Winseer:
The way so many drivers run through the roadworks on the limiter with impunity - suggests that no one is getting done, ever, of course.

Unless you go through the post of these drivers how would you know they dont receive NIPs? Not seeing a patrol car with "bluesntwos" pulling them over isnt evidence they are getting away with it.

Big Truck:

Maybe you missed this in the BelfastLive site?
w.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/psni-reveal-number-drivers-caught-12752433
1,100 prosecutions year to March 2017 on the A2.
“The number of drivers caught by the average speed cameras on the A2 in the last year has been revealed.
More than 1,100 motorists were caught on the A2 carriageway between Bangor and Belfast in the last year by the average speed cameras.
Police released the figures to break the common misconception in the area that the cameras do not catch anyone.”

They changed the tolerances on them without a doubt as it did make news in the local papers ref how few drivers they caught first couple of yrs they were turned on.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Winseer:

I heard a rumour a while back that a night trunker for a Scottish tang outfit gained numerous sets of points from going through average cameras when the works were on near the M6 toll.

harrawaffa:

chaversdad:

harrawaffa:

Actually, that camera was set over 56mph. Used to fly through it years ago at 56, definitely accurate cos it got sent back to the garage, as the ■■■■■■■■ lowered the limit during a taco calibration.