A90 Dundee-Aberdeen Average Speed

Hi everyone. Two questions

•Have the avg speed camera on the A90 been activate for large vehicles like the A9 has?
•If so, what’s the tolerance? My truck GPS shows 54mph when truck says 56mph. Would you get away with 4mph?

I’m always sitting at 80kph but loads of trucks fly past me. I’m hoping someone regularly does this stretch of road can tell me. My understanding is that the cameras are still set up for a blanket 70mph (apart from Laurencekirk). I know the A9 cameras can now tell the difference between cars and HGV/PCVs but not sure if this has been implemented on A90….
Thanks

Or…

Have I been caught speeding?

yourhavingalarf:
Or…

Have I been caught speeding?

My question relates to the fact that I seem to be the slowest truck on the A90 most of the time. I’m being constantly overtaken by people doing 56+.

Do you have an answer to the questions above?

Thanks

malyk_38:

No…

I don’t.

yourhavingalarf:

malyk_38:

No…

I don’t.

No probs, thanks buddy

I drove that route double manned a few times. The non driver said go for it like every one else, I said its my licence so just let them all pass. End of the day I am paid by the hour. A lot of drivers say that they are not activated but its not worth the risk.

alamcculloch:
I drove that route double manned a few times. The non driver said go for it like every one else, I said its my licence so just let them all pass. End of the day I am paid by the hour. A lot of drivers say that they are not activated but its not worth the risk.

That’s a fair point. You’re correct in saying it’s not worth the risk. I’m interested to know because I see so many companies doing well in excess of 50mph every day. Surely it would be common knowledge if they had been activated.

Speed on brother, hell ain’t half full

Few years back at last place I worked we had a regular run from Manchester to Aberdeen.
And I used to wonder the same thing.
I’d stick to 50 yet always had trucks overtaking me.
Same as roads before Dundee where signs say 7.5t and.over 40mph.
But I just stuck to 40/50 as didn’t want to find out plus going flat out you gain 6 miles for every hour driven which equates to roughly 10 mins so not worth it really

I’m wild, rowdy, like to live on the edge, danger is my middle name blah blah blah. I set my CC at 54 like I do everywhere else (including outside blind schools and old peoples homes) and I’ve never had any comeback.

Except for that one time……….

edd1974:
Few years back at last place I worked we had a regular run from Manchester to Aberdeen.
And I used to wonder the same thing.
I’d stick to 50 yet always had trucks overtaking me.
Same as roads before Dundee where signs say 7.5t and.over 40mph.
But I just stuck to 40/50 as didn’t want to find out plus going flat out you gain 6 miles for every hour driven which equates to roughly 10 mins so not worth it really

Thanks buddy, I see it the same way

the maoster:
I’m wild, rowdy, like to live on the edge, danger is my middle name blah blah blah. I set my CC at 54 like I do everywhere else (including outside blind schools and old peoples homes) and I’ve never had any comeback.

Except for that one time……….

nice try, but we all know that you work for one of those micro managed “safety first, safety always” companies, that treat you like a child, and use your truck’s microlise (or whatever monitoring system it has) scores to berate you for even the smallest infringement of their SSOW rules…

Gotta get top of the ranking, to get that “driver of the month” parking space… :grimacing:

Then again, I sometimes do get overtaken by XOPOGOPX trucks when I’m doing 56 on the limiter, so we may have crossed paths… :grimacing:

Does anyone have an answer to the original question?

malyk_38:

Best and only way to know.
Is next time your up there go flat out wait 28 days.
If you don’t get a ticket then obviously they don’t distinguish between trucks and cars
How ever if you do get a ticket at least your know they do.
It’s the only sure fire way to find out.
It’s ok some saying yes some saying no.
So just go for it and wait and see if a fine comes through

edd1974:

malyk_38:

Best and only way to know.
Is next time your up there go flat out wait 28 days.
If you don’t get a ticket then obviously they don’t distinguish between trucks and cars
How ever if you do get a ticket at least your know they do.
It’s the only sure fire way to find out.
It’s ok some saying yes some saying no.
So just go for it and wait and see if a fine comes through

Thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

Ring the authorities and ask them - should be an interesting conversation :laughing:

I’ve not been up there for about 6 months but I used to go up both roads at least once a week with my old firm. Unless it’s changed in the last few months your fine to crack on with both roads, mine was at 58/59 on gps and never had a bother, the other lads were at same and nobody ever got done. Just watch the camera vans, especially around Dundee, you’ll always get warning from the other trucks though as there’s still camaraderie up there

Night-and-day:
I’ve not been up there for about 6 months but I used to go up both roads at least once a week with my old firm. Unless it’s changed in the last few months your fine to crack on with both roads, mine was at 58/59 on gps and never had a bother, the other lads were at same and nobody ever got done. Just watch the camera vans, especially around Dundee, you’ll always get warning from the other trucks though as there’s still camaraderie up there

This is by far the most helpful comment. Now I understand why I see so many trucks going faster than me. Thanks

How are you going to know if it gets activated at some time in future?

Sploom:
How are you going to know if it gets activated at some time in future?

It’s probably worth a 10 year stretch of getting home an hour early every day until you get a £100 fine.