A90 Dundee-Aberdeen Average Speed

stu675:

Sploom:
How are you going to know if it gets activated at some time in future?

It’s probably worth a 10 year stretch of getting home an hour early every day until you get a £100 fine.

I think I have posted this link before, but shows the risk of complacency on a regular route…

thisismoney.co.uk/money/car … times.html

Though a google shows his team got it down to 67 points and a 15 month ban.

standard.co.uk/news/crime/d … 84689.html

malyk_38:
Does anyone have an answer to the original question?

56 all the way is ok on the a90, on the a9 you wont average 50 mph but i sit at around 53 but you now have to watch out for the stealth vans that sit in random laybys taking your speed, there unmarked and have a campervan look from the back

scotstrucker:

malyk_38:
Does anyone have an answer to the original question?

56 all the way is ok on the a90, on the a9 you wont average 50 mph but i sit at around 53 but you now have to watch out for the stealth vans that sit in random laybys taking your speed, there unmarked and have a campervan look from the back

Its all in the name of road safety, of course.

The police also have units now that pull alongside you on the dual carriageway to see if you are being a naughty boy on the phone, drinking your coffee, eating etc.

Firstly anything over 56 mph on the flat creates the question of a dodgy limiter setting.
While 56 mph is under the usual 10% + 2 threshold assuming a 50 mph limit.
Which leaves the question is it worth the licence points roulette of taking the 10% + 2 at face value.
Bearing in mind the military grade weaponry ranged against drivers now with the ability to nick you from 1 kilometre away or more.

I go flat out and never got a ticket. Same on a1

10% + 1mph in Scotland. I’m up and down Dundee to Aberdeen in the car, speedo at 76mph, gps at 72mph, never had a ticket to date. A9 the same, you fine on limiter.

A1 the old Gatso’s, down by Tranent / Grantshouse, etc, they set at 40mph for trucks so slow up through them (had 3 tickets at them but used to be able to go unsigned in Scotland so never got prosecuted).

I know this an old thread but just an addition. I’ve recently seen speed camera vans on both routes. Now I know they aren’t after HGV’s but if all the cameras were active, why be there at all?

Camera vans are after any vehicles including lorries. And also after people using mobile phones, not wearing seatbelts and a myriad of other things. A human operator can certainly be able to tell if a lorry Is exceeding it’s speed limit for a certain road.

A typical lastech scope and camera will get a lock and reading from a distance which is way beyond the judgement of a human eye.They just point the thing randomly at approaching or receding vehicles and see what it says on the scope reading.If the speed is over whatever the limit and tolerance is for that vehicle is then they’ll nick you.