Auto vs Manual

Old John:

Carryfast:

Joepipe3:
Manual boxes a thing of the past,get with the times,they are out of date along with starting handles. Joepipe

And yet there it is in the photo in the 21st century.Remind us when was the last time anyone could order a truck with a starting handle.Probably because it’s not exactly easy to turn over a 12 litre diesel engine by hand when you need the compression to ignite the fuel.Unlike the effort required to shift the gears of even the most recalcitrant synchro box. :laughing:

It wasn’t that difficult to handle start a truck engine at all.
All you needed was, two men on the handle, one on the decompression levers and one holding a burning rag at the air intake. Heave ho and away you go. Simples.
Oh how I miss the good old days!

Pah! new fangled internal combustion engine are for wimps, :imp: steam power the only way, come in 3 hours before you need to leave and get the fire going to build up a head of steam. That’s trucking for real men. :smiley:

Before we had steam we had horses. Before horses we had those defeated in battle.
Gkad to see the present government are bringing back the good ole days.
Return to slavery now!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

[emoji23]

do you want to go back to wind up windows?
do you want manual door locking?
do you want to get up off your bum and change channels on the telly?
why would you want to drive a manual nowadays?
you only have 2 feet,you dont need 3 pedals,plus its safer on the road driving an auto to leave you 1 free hand for drinking a can of coke,or eating your piece and chilli chicken wrap when your in the middle of a good txt.

dieseldog999:
you only have 2 feet,you dont need 3 pedals,plus its safer on the road driving an auto to leave you 1 free hand for drinking a can of coke,or eating your piece and chilli chicken wrap when your in the middle of a good txt.

Blimey it’s all about the road safety benefits of left foot braking an artic using the brakes to slow method and replacing gears to go with more important things like texting. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Carryfast:

dieseldog999:

Blimey it’s all about the road safety benefits of left foot braking an artic using the brakes to slow method and replacing gears to go with more important things like texting. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

and its easier to roll a ciggie.

I like the manual, but it is a bit of a bugger if you’re cruising along and amusing yourself, (In a gentlemans way) and you have to change gear on a hill. Naturally, always end up with no hands on the wheel. Even worse if, at the same time, you get to the Billy Mill Roundabout and close your eyes in ecstasy!
Who says truck driving is boring?

So the insidious invasion of these Tourettes inducing autos is because we’re all w*nkers now? [emoji23]

Well, I for one am bucking the trend and I implore the rest of you that still think trucks should have proper transmissions to continue the fight back or MANual gearboxes will be lost forever. When we were getting quotes we had a job to find any manufacturer still offering it, DAF and MAN seem to be the only ones! Mercedes do but only in the narrow cabed Arocs construction motor. Thing is, I remember driving MAN comfort shifts back in the early 2000’s when I was at securicor and thinking they had totally nailed it so I was delighted when I found out they still offered it. The sales rep tried talking us out of it all the way for some reason but luckily my boss respected my wishes (driver retention he said [emoji4]) and stuck to his guns.

Auto everyday. I’m too used to autos now and love having a hand free for coffee, also I had a manual hire truck in while my truck went in for service and it was a pain in the arse. Clutch pedal was too stiff and gear stick required punching to knock it out of gear.

If I’m shunting though I want a manual.