Auto vs Manual

muckles:

Carryfast:
Bearing in mind other long established developments like air assisted clutches and now auto engine speed matching in which only someone without two arms and two legs would/should have the slightest issues.

So you’ve been saying that bringing back constant mesh boxes would sort out the wheat from the chaff and now you’re saying that a modern constant mesh box can be used by anybody?

Careful, you’ll make him dizzy :smiley:

Rjan:
Driving whilst manually shifting is now a circus act, something one does as a show of prowess rather than a necessary component of work. And like a circus act, nobody seriously suggests it is a better or safer way to work.

Best comment on the thread so far.

Sidevalve:

Rjan:
Driving whilst manually shifting is now a circus act, something one does as a show of prowess rather than a necessary component of work. And like a circus act, nobody seriously suggests it is a better or safer way to work.

Best comment on the thread so far.

I second this.

Well I’m quite happy with my 4 speed auto,it’s not very fast but it gets the job done but if they ever ask me to night out in it they can stick the job up their dark passage, I do like the automatic coupling system though. :sunglasses:

Carryfast:

muckles:

Carryfast:
Bearing in mind other long established developments like air assisted clutches and now auto engine speed matching in which only someone without two arms and two legs would/should have the slightest issues.

So you’ve been saying that bringing back constant mesh boxes would sort out the wheat from the chaff and now you’re saying that a modern constant mesh box can be used by anybody?

It’s obvious that I meant proper manual boxes won’t make the job ‘physically’ more demanding.But they probably will sort out the worst aspects of autos pandering to the brake and go brigade even with the added benefit of auto rev matching.Because even that won’t get them a gear to go with if they’ve made a banzai approach.Probably unlike an auto.

in which only someone without two arms and two legs would/should have the slightest issues.

Can’t see how that could be obvious that you meant manual boxes?

So you’re saying constant mesh boxes are more difficult, which brings us back to Rjans point about making the job more difficult than it needs to be. :confused:

Carryfast:

muckles:

Carryfast:

It’s obvious that I meant proper manual boxes won’t make the job ‘physically’ more demanding.But they probably will sort out the worst aspects of autos pandering to the brake and go brigade even with the added benefit of auto rev matching.Because even that won’t get them a gear to go with if they’ve made a banzai approach.Probably unlike an auto.

But the “demandingness” of the job is supposedly what keeps the novices off the road in your view!

What is wrong with a competent driver using an auto box?

I mean decent manuals are not particularly difficult to operate - I don’t know exactly what you mean by a “banzai” approach, but a manual is just as flexible as an auto in selecting gears. I could easily swing into a sharp turn whilst changing the range and changing the gear, all at the same time and steering with one hand (thanks to another modern tool of the devil, power steering), declutching with one foot and riding the brake pedal with the other.

I don’t make a habit of that in either manuals or autos, simply because I recognise and choose to obey the principle of not braking whilst steering - you finish bringing the truck to the desired speed for a turn before actually turning. If I was driving a manual at a good standard, the gear changing would be happening in overlap with being on the brake.

I don’t drive manuals noticeably differently from how I drive an auto. And if anything I drive autos more sedately.

Look what I’m getting around March time!

If you don’t ask you don’t get [emoji3]

nomiS36:

Lovely.
Equipped with one of those haptic devices I notice- no need to take your eyes from the road and look at the screen to discover which gear the programmer decided would be best in your situation, putting your hand there you can know which gear you’re and also select the correct one without risk of false input from dodgy software. Where you put the lever corresponds to the gear required.
One day all trucks, selected by thinking bosses for thinking drivers, will be like this.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

^^ Nice :smiley:

I didn’t think that was even possible these days.

Great post franglais [emoji1360]
Just to add, the squidgy bit between the seat and steering wheel who’s eyes and brain work in unison to see the gap and immediately release the clutch peddle for a clean predictable get away saving the need to apologise for being the wally that cut the other road user up.

Franglais:

nomiS36:

Lovely.
Equipped with one of those haptic devices I notice- no need to take your eyes from the road and look at the screen to discover which gear the programmer decided would be best in your situation, putting your hand there you can know which gear you’re and also select the correct one without risk of false input from dodgy software. Where you put the lever corresponds to the gear required.
One day all trucks, selected by thinking bosses for thinking drivers, will be like this.

@NomiS36 Nice that you got to choose, I always really liked the comfort shift, once you remembered to use the clutch when you came to a halt. :blush: :laughing:
@franglais I don’t reckon they’ll catch on, I tried one a couple of month ago, that sticky out thing got in the way of the arm rest and could only get to 10mph, with it screaming at the top of the rev range. :laughing:

nomiS36:
Just to add, the squidgy bit between the seat and steering wheel who’s eyes and brain work in unison to see the gap and immediately release the clutch peddle for a clean predictable get away saving the need to apologise for being the wally that cut the other road user up.

As you say, some of us have the coordination to manage these feats. I can even walk ‘n’ talk at the same time!

It may be nonsense, but, hey ho!

Nice Nomi.
Us? envious? never :grimacing: :cry: :neutral_face: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

nomiS36:

:smiley:

Manual boxes a thing of the past,get with the times,they are out of date along with starting handles,autos spend less time in workshop, a few years ago I had a RTO ten speed in a ERF the spare driver done a trip with it and when he came back he said he did not get the hang of the two speed back end ,I drained and flush the gear box. Joepipe

Joepipe3:
Manual boxes a thing of the past,get with the times,they are out of date along with starting handles,autos spend less time in workshop, a few years ago I had a RTO ten speed in a ERF the spare driver done a trip with it and when he came back he said he did not get the hang of the two speed back end ,I drained and flush the gear box. Joepipe

No you didn’t.

A.

Adonis.:

Joepipe3:

No you didn’t.

A.

Pantomime mode.

O yes he did.

He’s behind you

Joepipe3:
Manual boxes a thing of the past,get with the times,they are out of date along with starting handles. Joepipe

And yet there it is in the photo in the 21st century.Remind us when was the last time anyone could order a truck with a starting handle.Probably because it’s not exactly easy to turn over a 12 litre diesel engine by hand when you need the compression to ignite the fuel.Unlike the effort required to shift the gears of even the most recalcitrant synchro box. :laughing:

Carryfast:

Joepipe3:
Manual boxes a thing of the past,get with the times,they are out of date along with starting handles. Joepipe

And yet there it is in the photo in the 21st century.Remind us when was the last time anyone could order a truck with a starting handle.Probably because it’s not exactly easy to turn over a 12 litre diesel engine by hand when you need the compression to ignite the fuel.Unlike the effort required to shift the gears of even the most recalcitrant synchro box. :laughing:

It wasn’t that difficult to handle start a truck engine at all.
All you needed was, two men on the handle, one on the decompression levers and one holding a burning rag at the air intake. Heave ho and away you go. Simples.
Oh how I miss the good old days!