Atlas express

Hi that doesn’t look like a green one, did they have a Dodge dealership in Malvern, I know they had some kind of truck rental dealership as we had a couple of there wagons

atlas man:
Hi that doesn’t look like a green one, did they have a Dodge dealership in Malvern, I know they had some kind of truck rental dealership as we had a couple of there wagons

I don’t know about the Dodge and can’t remember who I dealt with but it was through the other deals I DEALT WITH BUT AI RECKON IT RAN FROM EAST MIDLANDS

TONY

Hi looking more closely at the picture is that an Atlas air motor, I had a 2417 when I started NJN 191P, was a good motor, was pretty quick but shook your fillings out :smiley:

atlas man:
Hi looking more closely at the picture is that an Atlas air motor, I had a 2417 when I started NJN 191P, was a good motor, was pretty quick but shook your fillings out :smiley:

Yes

5405871590_eddcf57f50.jpg

a99dce43222c2246da0f633ecb353029.jpg
13102185163_84c53481b2_m.jpg

The old ford 7v was kicking about at United Carriers for a while and when they took us over at Ripponden they asked us to store it as we had a few old motors of our own.
We got our paint shop to paint it in Ripponden livery and I took it on the Trans Pennine Run and to Goathland for the filming of the first ever episode of " Heartbeat ".
I left in 1997 and sometime later there was a management buy out. It was then " spirited away ", along with many other things from a once proud company.

Regards. John.

It did turn up at our depot for a while and I wondered what had happened to it, ive seen the Ripponden picture before but never realised it was the same motor, what happened to the old Ripponden motors were they scrapped after the buy out

atlas man:
It did turn up at our depot for a while and I wondered what had happened to it, ive seen the Ripponden picture before but never realised it was the same motor, what happened to the old Ripponden motors were they scrapped after the buy out

None of them were scrapped, they just went, no doubt someone made a bob or two :wink: They used to pop up on the rally circuits now and then but I don’t know for certain where any of them are now.
Regards. John.

youtu.be/wvd5Y_maKQc

A great little film

I used to meet up with a couple of Atlas Express lads at the Golden Glove opposite Spitalfields market in 1969,around about midnight.They had Ford “D” series and were from Coalville depot.I think they ran into their depot at Bermondsey.

I reckon the Volvo will have been a sprat to catch a mackerel from Mr McKelvie at Ailsa trucks. :slight_smile:

They carnt have been impressed with it don’t think they got another one

There used to be an owner driver called Bill Barnes( RIP) from Oxenholme nr. Kendal who ran a number of ridged 6 and 8 wheelers over the years and his regular traffic was Atlas Express from Manchester to Glasgow and his traffic back from Glasgow to Manchester was for Beatties biscuits,I think he did two round trips per week. His motors always had a van body and his most unluckiest motor was a brand new AEC Marshal about '70 (IIRC) and it was about 2 weeks old when he ran into the back of another motor on the A6 near the Astra Café south of Carlisle and the AEC was a right off. It didn’t help that Bill wore “bottle bottom” glasses !! Cheers Bewick.

Hi Bewick, I really enjoy reading your posts on here and looking at the pictures of your old lorry’s, did he have them in Atlas green or were they a different colour, there is a picture of an Atlas 6 wheeler on this thread

Couple from the net.

13102194443_73e0bb909b_m.jpg

It is nice to see that D seris KAY 20V we had the sister to it at Leeds KAY 21V, they ran the Fords for years but the oldest I saw was on the N plate 1975 I think, they did seem to move a bit from Bedfords on to Dodge for the rigids ,but im not sure if they had there fingers in a dealership

atlas man:
Hi Bewick, I really enjoy reading your posts on here and looking at the pictures of your old lorry’s, did he have them in Atlas green or were they a different colour, there is a picture of an Atlas 6 wheeler on this thread

Thanks for your kind comments “Atlas man” and I’m sorry I missed your post before Christmas ! Bill Barnes the O/D I mentioned would have been a subby for Atlas and they probably just loaded him with the none urgent stuff as he wasn’t known for rushing about but he was reliable so they could depend on him , but the Atlas traffic dried up for him in the later '70’s so we used to load him from a customer in Morecambe to RDB Freightlines in Rutherglen twice a week which suited him for his Beatties Biscuits traffic back to Manchester. He eventually retired not long after as like a few O/D’s I knew the World had moved on and the steady jobs they had done for years “tightened” up and were no longer viable propositions but they had been during the 50’s and 60’s and had provided a good living for the O/D’s concerned. I can mention it now but Billy Barnes had another “wife” and car etc in Glasgow apparently as he was there half a week every week so it was his second home !! Cheers Bewick.

Another Cargo

13102077555_bdcd44c279_o.jpg

That’s a nice pic, we had some of them cargos as well and also we had a couple of them Asda trailers, also had some with W H smiths and crown wallpaper