Atlas express pontybodkin depot

I worked for Atlas Express in South Benfleet in 1970, got my HGV there. I went back to them in about 1986 they had then moved to Hovefields in Basildon and were just being taken over by United Carriers. I later moved on to Thompson Jewitt who shared the yard at Hovefields with United Carriers. Thomson Jewitt later moved to Barking (near River Road). I’m not sure but I think Bunzl took over TJ and United Carriers at that time. I was 23 when I started at Atlas Express in 1970 and they were a great bunch of blokes with a good social club. I remember Big John, Danny and Maurice well from back then. One down side was that they accused me of theft and suspended me when stuff went missing from my wagon. They later found the culprit and I was reinstated with bulk work instead of multi drop as compensation. I was given a beat up Bedford J Series walk through when I started there (it already had a dented side), on my first day driving back down the A13 a guy just drove into the back of me and I wasn’t even braking. He admitted responsibility and they were ok about that. Had a TK next (they were nearly all TKs at the time), later I had a new D Series and when I did the bulk work I had a Bedford KM. Happy days

Hi i worked at the leeds depot for a number of years we had D 2417s and then went on to cargos,after carriers took us over we got some of there old ERFs but then they closed us down in 1989,was a good place to work and the staff were a good set of lads

Blissy:
Im pretty sure they were bought out by United Carriers in the late eighties…and they in turn were bought out but not sure by who.

UNITED CARRIERS were bought out by the Geodis group who pulled the plug on them shortly afterwards

atlas man:
Hi i worked at the leeds depot for a number of years we had D 2417s and then went on to cargos,after carriers took us over we got some of there old ERFs but then they closed us down in 1989,was a good place to work and the staff were a good set of lads

My Dad worked for Atlas Express at their depot in Higher Walton (Preston Depot) from 1974 to its closure in December 1984. The depot was closed along with a few other smaller depots, Carlisle being one of them. The writing was on the wall by then!
I also worked there part time on the bank as a teenager and they were a good firm to work for.
When my Dad started there, they still ran quite a few Scammell Coupling Fords on the fleet and they also ran AEC Mandators on the bigger trunk runs.
Preston was a smaller depot with only one artic which my dad drove, an Albion Chieftan and later a Leyland Lynx (NWP 649P) when they went all fifth wheel in about 1976. I learnt to drive in as a lad. Apart from Fords, I know they ran Leyland Mastiff and Clydesdale units as well as a number of Bedford TMs but I dont know of any other Lynx units. I also discovered a Volvo F 86 at Rush Green motors scrap yard from a London depot.
I now own a preserved Leyland Lynx unit identical to my Dads and I intend to paint it up in the Atlas Express livery. I cant believe a firm of this size has not got more pictures available on the net, I would love to see some on here !

kingoftheroad:
anyone work for atlas express? i was at the pontybokin depot nr mold flintshire used to deliver all round the coast rhyl prestatyn and conway

Wasnt that the former Williams Bros depot ? thank you Trevor .

anyone work for atlas express? i was at the pontybokin depot nr mold flintshire used to deliver all round the coast rhyl prestatyn and conway

I used to work at the Benfleet Essex depot a long long time ago.
Started off on the loading bay…then on the Gold Band 7 and half tonners,then they put me through both my class 3 and finally my class 1 and I ended up night trunking to Leigh Delamere every night…looking back I did OK out of them :slight_smile:

The Atlas Express depot at Benfleet was that just off the London Road at Tarpots and did they has Ford D series

Carna:
The Atlas Express depot at Benfleet was that just off the London Road at Tarpots and did they has Ford D series

yeah thats the one…coming down the A13 from Pitsea you turned left at the lights at the Tarpots then immediately right into the yard (behind the shops)…eventually they relocated to one of the industrial estates in Basildon (think it was Cranes Farm)…and they did run all Ford D series…although later on there were a few Ford Cargos

is atlas express still going or have they been taken over anyone know?

Im pretty sure they were bought out by United Carriers in the late eighties…and they in turn were bought out but not sure by who.