Astran / Middle East Drivers

KurtMeyer:

Appy:
Fantastic !!

mitteleuropa.ihostfull.com/r … rland.html

Much thanks. The web page was a lot of work and it is not finished yet.

Some more questions:

AUSTRIA: Anyone know which was the preferred Gastarbeiter route ?

Salzburg Loeben Graz Maribor Zagreb

or

Salzburg Villack Klagenfurt Ljubljana Zagreb

AUSTRIA: The ‘Ho Chi Minh’ trail: I have it down as Radstadt - Liezen. Is that correct ?

YUGOSLAVIA: Anyone have exact directions to the ‘The Trees’ ? Is it still a functioning hotel ?

SOFIA: Anyone remember an hotels which were popular with ME drivers ?

I know I am very late joining this site but to answer one question, the only regular ME truck stop in Bulgaria that i remember was known as the STEPS, it was in quite a wooded area from memory, 1977, steep steps up from the road to the cafe and a large lorry park at the side of the road, I always stopped for a loaf of fresh home made bread, I’ve never tasted bread like it, If you parked up overnight the police would bring the fiki fiki girls up, if that was what you required!!!
Steve

Out the tunnel we come, Buzzer

hello sheeplady. are you still active on this forum. Tracker. DP

this truck was parked on transmarck at calais for a few months

ERF-NGC-European:

does anyone have Any jenkinsons from manchester pics please they were m,east regulars

Mike Ponsonby:

ERF-NGC-European:

You are right. I parked next to it briefly, coming back from the south in March 2006 when I was working for CSB, so you’re going back over 14 years ago! Funnily enough, I took a pic:

Yes robert i heard a few rumours why it was there but never found out why ■■

ERF-NGC-European:

Mike Ponsonby:

ERF-NGC-European:

You are right. I parked next to it briefly, coming back from the south in March 2006 when I was working for CSB, so you’re going back over 14 years ago! Funnily enough, I took a pic:

Mike Ponsonby:
does anyone have Any jenkinsons from manchester pics please they were m,east regulars

Here ya go Mike, an old workmate of mine called Barry Longden worked for Jenkies in the 70’s although they were actually from Salford. He told me that he took this photo while he was transiting Austria, probably on his way to Graz.

Been a few pics of this one on before but these are ‘new’. Subbie’s 142 with high roof and 13-sp Fuller 'box. NMPs

Rowena

118639916_301842970910835_7859167980281913906_n.jpg
93615128_10158011179143280_723789495039688704_n.jpg

NMP

Click on pages twice to read.

Hi All

For anyone on here that knew Bob here are the details for his funeral service.
The FUNERAL SERVICE for BOB “The Animal” HEDLEY
Is to be held at the Charing Crematorium, New Court Wood, Charing, Ashford, TN27 0EB, on Thursday 17th December at 1.45pm, leaving from his house at 1.15pm.
Family Flowers.
Donations to Weald Society for the Disabled.

Don’t remember seeing this pic before (so NMP then!)

Good old Billy Russel…R.I.P.

bullitt:
Just a thought but did any of the ex Astran or Middle East drivers on here know the driver who took the author of Cola Cowboys on his trip to M/E for the book?
I think his name was Trevor somebody and was quite an established M/E hand at that time.

No particular reason for asking, just wondering thats all, and was the tale of him being nearly lynched by a mob of Turkish villagers, leaving scars on his neck true, or abit of journalistic licence :wink:

Cheers, bullitt.

PS, come on chaps, about time we had some more tales and memories (with pics if possible) of those Middle East heydays. :laughing:

Wing commander long was his nickname a bit of a card though.

“Wonderful day for flying” !! One of his favourite sayings… :slight_smile:

GS OVERLAND:
“Wonderful day for flying” !! One of his favourite sayings… :slight_smile:

Wing Commander Long, on the left, about to take off from the Hotel Zagreb early 80’s.

Promotor 518.png

Anyone know anything about the 140?

As already stated, must be a subbie. Unusual to see Astran International on the cab signboard.

[zb]
anorak:
Anyone know anything about the 140?

That Scammell Crusader parked in the top right-hand corner of the pic: I reckon that is this one from Simon International, judging by the livery (and the white bumper). Rowena