Astran / Middle East Drivers

Anders Wester:
Your absolutly correct Danne , i was allways thinking ” Let’s create some summercondition” when there was bad traction.

Even better with a 3,5 tonne crane in the back of the truck.
I felt unbeatable in the snowy hills while i passed by my mates.

Snowy regards from Swedens riviera Pitea

1+ From a cold stockholm

On a personal note,as Whisering says the double drives did tend to go straight on with bends.I had a double drive DAF on IT\Afghan Int and it was hopeless in the Winter.I Always had to put 4 chains on due to the stupid system of ‘‘limited slip diffs’’ instead of conventional diff locks.The best Winter truck i had was the 6wheeled bogielift wagon & drag i had on Simons,would go anywhere.
PS Danne,it’s min 22c here tonight.

hutpik:
On a personal note,as Whisering says the double drives did tend to go straight on with bends.I had a double drive DAF on IT\Afghan Int and it was hopeless in the Winter.I Always had to put 4 chains on due to the stupid system of ‘‘limited slip diffs’’ instead of conventional diff locks.The best Winter truck i had was the 6wheeled bogielift wagon & drag i had on Simons,would go anywhere.
PS Danne,it’s min 22c here tonight.

Thats cold Mike,really cold but you get evan colder son to so just hang in there mate :smiley: . Was up to Östersund today but only -4 not to bad and the sun was up to.

Wheel Nut:
Volvo had Jake Brakes fitted on their F12 model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough - I didn’t know that - you live & learn eh? Were there many around? A Jake is certainly better than the old ‘flapper’ valve exhaust brake.

Cheers Keith

Can’t remember if these have been on here before. Robert

f0fc59ee71aba34ac7994b8a85fcc727.jpg

Lovely old 110 but I just can’t get past those flares :smiley:

eurotrans:

Not as bad as mine were in the very early '70s: purple corduroy flares - a triple whammy! At least they didn’t have a cotton flower print inserted pleat like some did! :open_mouth: Robert

GS OVERLAND:

KurtMeyer:

GS OVERLAND:
Where, along the stretch where military camps were ■■ Iraq was a scruffy place wasnt it, imagine what it is like nowadays !!
Do you remember the " left turn marker " for Razazza Lake, near Kerbala ■■ it was a pile of dead dogs, always “fresh” !! and then the sign " Welcome to Babylon" I never did get to see the hanging gardens, did you ? Tikrit Control used to give me the eeby jeebies to, you never knew what would happen when they stopped you.
GS

Do you remember any landmarks for Tikrit kontrolle or the approach and I will put it on the map.

Thx

Hi Kurt
If you enter the following co-ordinates on Google Maps you will land at the Tikrit Police Control. 34°40’55.6"N 43°37’36.9"E
Then if you click on Satellite view you can see it for real. :sunglasses:
Regards
GS

Thank you for the co-ordinates GS. An interesting location, no doubt much changed since the 70s.

Here is the Google Maps link in Satellite mode - Link to Googlemap

kmills:

Wheel Nut:
Volvo had Jake Brakes fitted on their F12 model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough - I didn’t know that - you live & learn eh? Were there many around? A Jake is certainly better than the old ‘flapper’ valve exhaust brake.

Cheers Keith

From December 1991

Volvo to get Jake Brakes

eurotrans:

I think anyone taking a mid-1970s vehicle to a show should arrive in period dress. All F88, 89, 110 and 140 drivers must have flares, lapels, Daisy Duke shorts, the lot- otherwise they’re not getting in. :laughing:

[zb]
anorak:

eurotrans:

I think anyone taking a mid-1970s vehicle to a show should arrive in period dress. All F88, 89, 110 and 140 drivers must have flares, lapels, Daisy Duke shorts, the lot- otherwise they’re not getting in. :laughing:

I think I’d have trouble growing the long hair again :cry: :smiley:

Lovely historical pics from the web.

I like the ‘Middle East Express’ on the wind deflector. That certainly sums up Mr Andrew Wilson Young.

ERF-NGC-European:

You all talking about all the experiences you whent through.all of you drivers that are still here,RIP.those that ave passed but not forgot .my father worked for mr,Vick,my uncle also. you drivers that are still with us All of you get together . write a book about all of the middle east days( from the proper drivers)for the real drivers out there it would be real reading

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Johnyplugg:

ERF-NGC-European:

You all talking about all the experiences you whent through.all of you drivers that are still here,RIP.those that ave passed but not forgot .my father worked for mr,Vick,my uncle also. you drivers that are still with us All of you get together . write a book about all of the middle east days( from the proper drivers)for the real drivers out there it would be real reading

Ah you’re the fellow who was going to send pictures and info for my Lorries of Arabia books but when I PM’d you about it I never heard from you again! All three books are now published but do feel free to bung anything on here you think might be of use, or better still post them on the ERF 1975 thread which has lots of Eric Vick stuff on :wink: It’d be a nice start to the New Year!

Cheers,

Robert

Great photos.

sandway:
Great photos.

+1 :sunglasses: and Happy New Year Sandway! R

ERF-NGC-European:

Johnyplugg:

ERF-NGC-European:

Ah you’re the fellow who was going to send pictures and info for my Lorries of Arabia books but when I PM’d you about it I never heard from you again! All three books are now published but do feel free to bung anything on here you think might be of use, or better still post them on the ERF 1975 thread which has lots of Eric Vick stuff on :wink: It’d be a nice start to the New Year!

Cheers,

Robert

Sorry i did not reply.not intentional. I’ve still not got to grips with this dam technology. I am john matley jnr.father drove 248 p.my uncle neil also worked for mr vick.i would like to know if it would be possible to get the drivers together father has passed neil is still here.it would be realy good listening and seeing people. To me it would be so intriguing. 079845432110

Johnyplugg:

ERF-NGC-European:

Johnyplugg:

ERF-NGC-European:

Cheers,

Robert

Sorry i did not reply.not intentional. I’ve still not got to grips with this dam technology. I am john matley jnr.father drove 248 p.my uncle neil also worked for mr vick.i would like to know if it would be possible to get the drivers together father has passed neil is still here.it would be realy good listening and seeing people. To me it would be so intriguing. 079845432110

No problem old mate! Your best bet is to get in touch with Chris Jeffries at Eric Vick. He still works there and is in touch with some of the old boys who would have worked with your father - Chris Till for example. There are also Richard Read drivers and fitters who worked with the Vijore lorries about - Steve Little for example. Good luck! R