Astran / Middle East Drivers

Found this today in a '70s issue of Commercial Motor! Robert

Scan_20170611.jpg

today on the M4,near j.17…i spotted a 143 Scania in Astran livery,hauling a flat loaded with steel! :astonished:

any info on that one please?

Karl Skilton has a 143 in Astran colours sounds like his,the truck and Karl has a lot of Middle East history.

Never seen this one before. Who is it?
Not my pic just found it on the web.

Danne

Dirty Dan:

Danne

It was my trailer for a bit. Can’t remember who’s Scania it was but the trailer boxes had diesel tanks built into them. I got caught in Austria with them first trip I used them.

Nick bull:

Dirty Dan:

Danne

It was my trailer for a bit. Can’t remember who’s Scania it was but the trailer boxes had diesel tanks built into them. I got caught in Austria with them first trip I used them.

Hi Nick! Aha it sure has the look hasnt :smiley: So the Astrians did not have any humor then? :smiley:
The Scania looks like an old Shell unit to me but maby wrong there.

Danne

Boatchaser:

gordon john:
I took this photo in 1980/81 on the Koper/Tartous Ferry. I believe the two lads on the right drove for a Evesham Company, can’t recall their names. Can anyone put names to these drivers?

Gordon
Forest of Dean

Gordon
My dad took this photo (and a couple more ) and I sure written on the back is Koper / Tartous , would this be the same boat. Not sure who the guy is anyone have a name

I asked did anyone know this guy back of the photo says J.Collins. Photo taken on the Koper/ Tartous ferry, well I,ve just found a old dairy of the old mans and und C is J.Collins of Greenside Ashford Kent , does that ring any belles with anyone

Boatchaser:

Boatchaser:

gordon john:
I took this photo in 1980/81 on the Koper/Tartous Ferry. I believe the two lads on the right drove for a Evesham Company, can’t recall their names. Can anyone put names to these drivers?

Gordon
Forest of Dean

Gordon
My dad took this photo (and a couple more ) and I sure written on the back is Koper / Tartous , would this be the same boat. Not sure who the guy is anyone have a name

I asked did anyone know this guy back of the photo says J.Collins. Photo taken on the Koper/ Tartous ferry, well I,ve just found a old dairy of the old mans and und C is J.Collins of Greenside Ashford Kent , does that ring any belles with anyone

Hi Boatchaser, he reminds me of a lad from the North East of England who used to drive for either Taffy Davis or Duncan Macrea. I think that his name could of been Bob or Brian.

Regards Steve.

Hi all.

Just too keep this thread going, I’m only on page 26 or something and I’ll tell you it’s better than any book money can buy lol.
Such an enjoyable read, I shall get to the end someday. Just can’t put my tablet down,wife’s going balmy most nights. :smiley:

Regards
Ali.

rocketsquadron:
…I’m only on page 26 or something and I’ll tell you it’s better than any book money can buy lol…

Are the photos and pictures that were posted X amount of years ago still there? Photobucket, which many were posted through, seems to have had a meltdown and many old pics have disappeared!? :open_mouth:

Hiya Bullitt, it looks like all my old photos have gone that I put on through Photo (z.b.) it.
Some of them were never backed up when my old computer packed in but I wasn’t too bothered as I could always access them through Photo (z.b.) it.
It’s sad when you think of all the old contributors on here who have passed away and now even their photos are no longer with us. :cry:

Regards Steve.

bullitt:

rocketsquadron:
…I’m only on page 26 or something and I’ll tell you it’s better than any book money can buy lol…

Are the photos and pictures that were posted X amount of years ago still there? Photobucket, which many were posted through, seems to have had a meltdown and many old pics have disappeared!? :open_mouth:

Hi Bullitt.

No pictures, only the odd 1 or 2 which must be up on a different format. As I read I can only imagine what could be pictured.
I’m hoping the further I read there’s a chance photofu##it will have been replaced.

Some of the stories are so funny, UK tramping from 20 years ago just doesn’t cut it like some on here.

Ali.

Interesting news film on Aljazeera:: Qatar hauling firms feel strain as Gulf dispute drags on

The road & Saudi border have changed beyond recognition
Not much more than a sand blown single carriageway & a few sheds at the border 40 odd years ago to a super highway & a very tidy looking border

Still lots of Mercs - 1844s now - but not able to work

whisperingsmith:
Interesting news film on Aljazeera:: Qatar hauling firms feel strain as Gulf dispute drags on

Qatar hauling firms feel strain as Gulf dispute drags on | News | Al Jazeera

The road & Saudi border have changed beyond recognition
Not much more than a sand blown single carriageway & a few sheds at the border 40 odd years ago to a super highway & a very tidy looking border

Still lots of Mercs - 1844s now - but not able to work

That’s amazing! :open_mouth: Here’s what Abu Samra looked like when I went down in 2001. :sunglasses: Robert

Tony Taylor:
some more

what a great picture of Dai Blunt

chris brearley:

Tony Taylor:
some more

what a great picture of Dai Blunt

Where?

hello sheeplady. hope all well with you. am enjoying my retirement

dazteahan:
0Uncle Noel & Brian Parkinson

This was my first truck on Asian transport as it was at that time. I did 6 trips to Tehran with it and then I was given ELK 384J which was a 140 road train. Good old days. Dave Poulton

tracker:

dazteahan:
Uncle Noel & Brian Parkinson

This was my first truck on Asian transport as it was at that time. I did 6 trips to Tehran with it and then I was given ELK 384J which was a 140 road train. Good old days. Dave Poulton

Hello Dave, brilliant to have you on here - welcome! You ran with me on my first Gulf trip in 2001. We were going to Doha in Qatar. I loaded and eventually joined you at Ancona docks. You were driving a rather splendid T-cab Scanny as a ‘seller’ - see picture below I took of you checking your load! I took a few pics on that trip.

Here we are parked up in Saudi. My wagon is in the foreground (just to jog your memory!).

This photo with you and me standing in front of your lorry must have been taken by Dave, the third bloke who ran with us. You may remember he took down his own lorry as a seller and it was his ‘one off’ Middle-East trip before changing career. The picture was taken at Abu Samr, the Qatari border. If you scroll back a page or two you’ll see someone has posted pics on here showing how much that has changed now.

Finally, here’s another shot of mine.

Take care, old mate! Robert :smiley:

Dave, I’ve found some more pics showing you and your wagon on that trip. The first ones were taken going over Amfissa, Greece in the snow.

You’re leading the way in this pic, taken in Turkey (south of Adana I think).

This was a brief stop in Jordan.

Tea break in Saudi.