Astran / Middle East Drivers

380streamline:
TDX 400K - What happened to it? Any replies welcome!

Hi Streamline
Hit this link and it will give you a bit of it’s history.
mike-taylor-haulage.com/rich_text_3.html

v_58.jpg

GS OVERLAND:
Early morning pulling in at the Londra.

A few hours later, heading East to the Bosporus…

Hi Gavin
Did you get my pm?
I sent one yesterday and today
When I go to sent messages it says not sent
Regards
Cleve

Hello Cleve
Long time… :open_mouth: No I didn’t receive any PM. !
I will send you one right now. see if you get it.

dazteahan:
0Uncle Noel & Brian Parkinson

What a pleasant surprise to see the pic of Brian (Jake) Parkinson, I worked with him many years ago on Hoveringham Gravels at their Eastleigh quarry.
Later he worked for us at PBC European Southampton, a good friend missed by many.

GS OVERLAND:
Hello Cleve

Hello mate
Yea got that pm…
Long story why I ain’t been in contact
My email address is
Cleverer.1@icloud.com
Regards
Cleve.

scania cleve:

GS OVERLAND:
Hello Cleve

Hello mate
Yea got that pm…
Long story why I ain’t been in contact
My email address is
Cleverer.1@icloud.com
Regards
Cleve.

Mistake
Clevereed.1@icloud.com

Interesting pic that my son found somewhere, looks like Harwich

This is my wagon, “DHJ” with Streeky’s at the back - and the location is Ancona, waiting for the ferry!

I was very close Ken

Found on the web.

Not sure if this has been posted before ?

(Click on pages twice to magnify to read )

Pioneering stuff, brilliant!! :wink:

Top posting DeanB. Thank you!
Johnny

Sent from my Hol-U19 using Tapatalk

Destination No Doha:
theguardian.com/football/20 … a-football
How things change. The risks that people used to encounter on the roads of the Middle East are now completely eclipsed by the threat of being killed by religious fanatics. The place is now an official no-go zone. It all sounds awful. What are the thoughts of those TNUK contributors who made good friends on their East-bound travels?

Hi Anorak
Although overland transport to Doha all but dried up for Brit trucks about three years ago and even the Turks are not often seen in Qatar anymore, I still conduct export truck and trailer business to Doha. I was last in Doha in Jan this year and the city demolition and construction industries are booming ! but will no doubt now be struggling because of the border closure and restrictions on air transport. There is only one road in to Qatar, via Salwa / Abu Samra Border. Construction materials etc and almost all fresh produce are brought in overland from Dubai and Jordan and dairy produce from Saudi. Most bottled water also comes from UAE and Saudi by truck so there will be major shortages, already evident after merely two days of border closure. I haven’t experienced any hostile behaviour on my travels to Qatar or elsewhere in the region and still maintain almost weekly contact with Syrian, Lebanese, Iranian and Qatari friends, some that I have known since 1989. The Iranians have offered to supply Qatar with produce by sea which can be in Doha within 12 hrs of departure from the Iranian shores. Maybe this could lead to an alternative overland route via Iran and Ro-Ro to Doha Port. I sent a truck to Qatar via Turkey and Iran and then Ro-Ro from Bander Abbas to Sharjah and up to Qatar via UAE and Saudi a few years ago and it turned out to be a viable route except for the Iranian Transit Tax but who knows if things develop that tax may be dropped. Maybe this move will finally make the Qatari regime wake up and act in a way that would put an end to their silent support for extremist groups.
GS

GS OVERLAND:
Hi Anorak
Although overland transport to Doha all but dried up for Brit trucks about three years ago and even the Turks are not often seen in Qatar anymore, I still conduct export truck and trailer business to Doha. I was last in Doha in Jan this year and the city demolition and construction industries are booming ! but will no doubt now be struggling because of the border closure and restrictions on air transport. There is only one road in to Qatar, via Salwa / Abu Samra Border. Construction materials etc and almost all fresh produce are brought in overland from Dubai and Jordan and dairy produce from Saudi. Most bottled water also comes from UAE and Saudi by truck so there will be major shortages, already evident after merely two days of border closure. I haven’t experienced any hostile behaviour on my travels to Qatar or elsewhere in the region and still maintain almost weekly contact with Syrian, Lebanese, Iranian and Qatari friends, some that I have known since 1989. The Iranians have offered to supply Qatar with produce by sea which can be in Doha within 12 hrs of departure from the Iranian shores. Maybe this could lead to an alternative overland route via Iran and Ro-Ro to Doha Port. I sent a truck to Qatar via Turkey and Iran and then Ro-Ro from Bander Abbas to Sharjah and up to Qatar via UAE and Saudi a few years ago and it turned out to be a viable route except for the Iranian Transit Tax but who knows if things develop that tax may be dropped. Maybe this move will finally make the Qatari regime wake up and act in a way that would put an end to their silent support for extremist groups.
GS

A thoughtful answer to a thoughtful question. Thank you both. Robert

GS OVERLAND:
Hi Anorak
GS

Excellent information.

I got the impression from the Guardian that Qatar and the surrounding areas were a hotbed of fanaticism. The truth is obviously a lot less horrible.