Anybody remember SCA Express?

Sean the Man.

Harry
I Knew Sean when he drove for Cecil and Mark Compton from Bournemouth and then STS ,I think he lives in Ringwood . He was always very smart and when I knew him the word was he was ex SAS ,mind you they all were !!

dieseldog6:
Truckyboy, heres a name from the 60’ you may remember, light brown, bullnosed mercs, Charlie Poulter. used to see em all the time when I as traveling with my Dad in the 60’s

Weren’t they a Davis Bros. subsidiary? Or am I mixing them up with someone else?

kerbut Thats Sean alright. He was ex-SCA not SAS! He worked as a steward on cruise liners before he took up driving. A good bloke was Sean,always helpful.

240 Gardner:

dieseldog6:
Truckyboy, heres a name from the 60’ you may remember, light brown, bullnosed mercs, Charlie Poulter. used to see em all the time when I as traveling with my Dad in the 60’s

Weren’t they a Davis Bros. subsidiary? Or am I mixing them up with someone else?

you are right ,charles poulter was owned by solly davies but it was separate from davies bros, i worked for both companies at sometime in the 60s ,poulter and thomas potter priestly were based in the highway, harry,hubby and sammy ran davies bros in wapping high rd. there was another brother frankie,who ran bow bells trans based in the minories beside tower bridge but all he was interested in was fruit to the markets .in the posting before this one ,there is a sca truck with a photo of tony burroughs who was on poulters same time as me, there was a lot of faces on those companies, all the villians in london was on there at some time or another.

SUPERCUBE Tony Burroughs,good bloke.Any idea what happened to him?

no sorry ,last saw him he was working for/with his brother on demolition, but that was a few years ago.

SUPERCUBE:

240 Gardner:

dieseldog6:

you are right ,charles poulter was owned by solly davies but it was separate from davies bros, i worked for both companies at sometime in the 60s ,poulter and thomas potter priestly were based in the highway, harry,hubby and sammy ran davies bros in wapping high rd. there was another brother frankie,who ran bow bells trans based in the minories beside tower bridge but all he was interested in was fruit to the markets .in the posting before this one ,there is a sca truck with a photo of tony burroughs who was on poulters same time as me, there was a lot of faces on those companies, all the villians in london was on there at some time or another.

W. H. Bowker bought 3 Mercs from Davies Bros. in the 1960s, but I think that they may have come from the Charles Poulter fleet. PUV 435F was a bull-nose motor

SUPERCUBE Tony was always immaculate,a real ladies man. I can’t imagine him swinging a sledge hammer… :laughing:

240 Gardner:

SUPERCUBE:

240 Gardner:

dieseldog6:

W. H. Bowker bought 3 Mercs from Davies Bros. in the 1960s, but I think that they may have come from the Charles Poulter fleet. PUV 435F was a bull-nose motor

they most likely were bought from the receiver after poulters went into liquidation, they were cream coloured with gold leaf writing . a condition of employment was you had to take the truck home as there was nowhere to park near the office. bottom end of the highway, near what is now the limehouse link was where we left m/t trailers,both sides of the road. there was a yard opposite the free trade wharf but when he started buying those long trailers(33`) we couldnt get them in. you wouldnt be allowed to operate like that today.

harry:
SUPERCUBE Tony was always immaculate,a real ladies man. I can’t imagine him swinging a sledge hammer… :laughing:

harry. i know it seems very unlikely ,i am quoting what i was told ,but i would imagine he was driving a tipper or doing something less manual .

Funny thing was that when we were both on SCA we both had clapped-out Jags & we both sold them to the chief mechanic who was a Jag lover. I had a MK 10 & Tone had a 2.4 Morse. I don’t think either of them ever ran again when the old boy bought them… :laughing:

ask any driver who worked for Harry Robinson if they agree on your opinion
of him and you will get a BIG NEGATIVO and yes i am shouting

Hi i worked for SCA in march 1970 for about 18 months,the drivers i remember were Ralph mullings (road manager) George Drew, Mark Holmes, (popeye)Dave Funnal,Keith Parley (the sun news paper did a report on a trip to italy with him),Jock Hastie,Jones brothers from southhampton,Micky Maunders,Bob and Chalky the mechanics,Jeff sears ex driver went in the office,also Mike Young (of young brothers)was a subby with a new G88 volvo and another subby Mike furnell with a blue F88 one of the first 16 speeders.Maureen was in the office with Janie buttler who later had a pub in bethnal green with Mark who worked on Adrian chambers racing camero.The shunters were Ron hall and Alan bates i think his last name was.We cleared customs at ratcliff cross wharfe off of the highway which was reall small.The trailers had the rear axles right at the end of the chassis like a yank one,also they were box trailers with canverse tops that were a ■■■■■■ to strip.Hope this jogs a few memories.Martin harris

Sorry Martin but we have tender ears, if you need to disguise a naughty word, it’s a cert it’s not allowed.D. :wink:
However, you are very welcome to TN :slight_smile:

boyzee:
Hi i worked for SCA in march 1970 for about 18 months,the drivers i remember were Ralph mullings (road manager) George Drew, Mark Holmes, (popeye)Dave Funnal,Keith Parley (the sun news paper did a report on a trip to italy with him),Jock Hastie,Jones brothers from southhampton,Micky Maunders,Bob and Chalky the mechanics,Jeff sears ex driver went in the office,also Mike Young (of young brothers)was a subby with a new G88 volvo and another subby Mike furnell with a blue F88 one of the first 16 speeders.Maureen was in the office with Janie buttler who later had a pub in bethnal green with Mark who worked on Adrian chambers racing camero.The shunters were Ron hall and Alan bates i think his last name was.We cleared customs at ratcliff cross wharfe off of the highway which was reall small.The trailers had the rear axles right at the end of the chassis like a yank one,also they were box trailers with canverse tops that were a f–ker to strip.Hope this jogs a few memories.Martin harris

bloody hell what a memory - i’m struggling to think where i went last week and i dare say i’m considerably younger than you?! great remaniscences anyway :sunglasses:

Glad I looked in, what a smashing thread! Some other good old companies from the past and some very well known drivers such as Ralph (smelly socks)
Mullins,Ronnie Hall,Sean Moran and many more. Last time I saw Ron was in the 80’s I think when he came round home and bought a load of hanging meat hooks off me. A bloody gentleman. As for the road train SCA had at Chandlers ford, I picked up the body for the dangler on a flat trailer. It was from somewhere in Kent (Ashford I believe) and the company I think was called Speedfrieght. I think at that time there were two brothers on SCA, Bob and Peter Jones. Sadly the younger Peter died a few years ago but I still see Bob.
On the theme of Sammy Williams. I do remember they put a ■■■■■■■ engine into a Scania 110 and were told to take the Scania badge off or they would be sued. As for Ralph Hilton (HTS) can any one else remember him scratching a living as o/d in a Thames Trader 4 wheeler? You chaps are certainly bringing back a few memories for me. Keep them coming!!

Who was the company who were on Choats Road on the lane to London and Coastal oil wharves? Now Transport Developments Group.

They ran some old Leylands and AEC painted in a real muddy brown. Still going I think.

TIR Original:
Glad I looked in, what a smashing thread! Some other good old companies from the past and some very well known drivers such as Ralph (smelly socks)
Mullins,Ronnie Hall,Sean Moran and many more. Last time I saw Ron was in the 80’s I think when he came round home and bought a load of hanging meat hooks off me. A bloody gentleman. As for the road train SCA had at Chandlers ford, I picked up the body for the dangler on a flat trailer. It was from somewhere in Kent (Ashford I believe) and the company I think was called Speedfrieght. I think at that time there were two brothers on SCA, Bob and Peter Jones. Sadly the younger Peter died a few years ago but I still see Bob.
On the theme of Sammy Williams. I do remember they put a ■■■■■■■ engine into a Scania 110 and were told to take the Scania badge off or they would be sued. As for Ralph Hilton (HTS) can any one else remember him scratching a living as o/d in a Thames Trader 4 wheeler? You chaps are certainly bringing back a few memories for me. Keep them coming!!

That’s really sad to here about about poor Peter Jones. I had heard that he had bought a caff down in Devon somewhere. Then he worked for North Devon Meats. Please give my regards to Bobby, when nwext you se him. My name is Steve Holman. We all worked togerther on SCA late seventies/early eighties.

Sorry, I meant late sixties/early seventies

rexyu:
Sorry, I meant late sixties/early seventies

rexyu do you remember johnny & jimmy bunce,john drove the paris van his brother jim drove the transit and did a bit of shunting later on.Jim was a big bloke large sideburns he was going up commercial street early one morning in one of the left ■■■■■■ 110s,he overtook a car that was turning left when a car came out of a turning on his right.He hit the car and the car driver died this must have been around 73/74.