Any old promotor drivers around

In June 1983, so I’m told by her who knows best, I asked Staggie in our office, if I could do a load to Yugo which involved a bit of a run round as I wanted to take my wife Gill with me. She hadn’t been with me since ten years earlier, when I had been delivering fruit to Covent Garden Market for a previous employer, she had come along, at midnight, to help me offload. “Of course Brian, is there anything else I can do for you” was his caustic reply. (those who knew Staggie will recognise this reaction from him). “Well yes there is. I want to go via France and Italy”. “No problem Brian” he said after he came down off the ceiling. It was a rare event to do a Yugo via France and Italy due to the lack of permits. Now thinking he was on firm ground he asked again. “And is there anything else, any little thing I can help you with”. By now I was wondering how much further I could push him. “I would like to ship over on Sally Line out of Ramsgate” I said. It took about ten minutes for the bright red hue of his cheeks and the twitch to recede and one of the girls in the office to prise his fingers off the arms of his office chair. However, it was then that the spluttering started and I thought it best to come back in half an hour. When I finally returned Dave had calmed down and through gritted teeth agreed to all my demands. I was then going to ask if the trip could be arranged so I could be week-ended on the way down in Italy and also on the way back. But I thought perhaps that was a request too far. But, by pure luck, thats what happened.

We shipped over on a Thursday. As all those who used Sally Line in the early days will know the big attraction on board was the Smorgasbord self service restaurant. It was a fantastic Scandinavian extravaganza of dishes some of us had only read about. The only drawback of using Sally was that she went to Dunkirk. Still that wasn’t the end of the world. I remember poodling down the old RN south of Paris, I never used the autoroutes unless I was in a hurry. We stopped at various Le Routier cafe’s for my wife to sample the best French drivers cuisine. We then crossed the River Saone at Macon and made our way to the Shell Station the other side of Bourge-en-Bresse. Here we filled up with diesel and both had a shower. We then drove up into the Alps and through the Blanc stopping for the night in a quiet spot in Aosta. I wasn’t one for the Bakehouse or any of the other watering/feeding holes, much preferring to have somewhere to myself.

On the Saturday we headed off across northern Italy finally arriving at the little service area of Duino Sud just east of Trieste where we parked up for the next two nights. Now, for those not in the know, if you walk out the back of these services you go down the hill for a kilometre or so you come to a lovely little harbour with restaurants and bars nearby. We made our way down there on the Sunday and had a very pleasant day in the warm June sunshine.

Monday morning saw us pushing off early and after crossing into Yugo made our way to Celja where we cleared customs and tipped part of our load. On our way to Celja we had stopped and bought some tomatoes. Unfortunately these had an adverse affect on my wife’s stomach and for the next few days she was definitely under the weather. Whilst we were in Celja customs we went to the small cafe where they had tripe on the menu the very sight of which made her feel even worse. It left me feeling a bit queasy to. The following day saw us in Rijeka where we had a couple of drums of oil to drop off at the shipyard. Once delivered we went for a walk around the harbour. Unfortunately, we came to the fish market where my wife went a colour of green I had never seen before. We left there quickly and returned to the lorry. Next stop was the Zagreb Hotel for another shower and hopefully somewhere where she could regroup.

On Wednesday we made our way down the concrete strip to The National at Belgrade. This road didn’t help her stomach one bit. As anyone who used that road in those days will know it was rough. It was built just after WW2 and paid for by the Yanks. Unfortunately by 1983 is was one of the worst roads in Yugo to drive on. Each section of concrete was a different height from the next and so all you got was this bang, bang, bang at very even intervals as you drove along it. It reminded me of the drip, drip, drip, Chinese water torture I had read about. Once we got to the National we had another shower and then I introduced her to all the George’s in the restaurant. It always made me laugh when they came to your table, stood there with their writing pad and pen and said “wat you want George”. That cheered her up a bit as well. Its no doubt been mentioned on this forum many times but the waiters would buy the huge bottles of Whiskey we could buy in the duty free shop as we passed through the Bulgy border if we were coming up that way. I remember on one trip Promotor driver George Fardell bought a bottle and stashed it in his trailer. When he arrived at the National it lay smashed on the floor. You couldn’t talk to him for a week after that. He didn’t want you to see him crying.

Thursday saw us in Smederavo at the steel works where we tipped the remainder of our load. We ran back to the National where there was a telex waiting for us. We had a reload of wooden furniture waiting for us in Nova Gorica, back up on the Italian border. As my wife was feeling a lot better by then I thought we should push on that afternoon. We did, arriving there late evening. Friday we reloaded and did customs. As the Italian border was just down the road we crossed over and parked up for the night. On the Saturday we made our way to Lake Garda where as luck would have it, we were week-ended for the second time this trip. On the Sunday we had a pleasant day there. The weather was great and we strolled along the edge of the lake finding a small restaurant for an excellent meal.

Monday saw us drive across Italy to the entrance of the Blanc where I committed the cardinal sin of stopping the wrong side of the dividing line between Italy and France. There were quite a few lorries there that evening all trying to find somewhere to stop so they could go and do customs. I could’nt find a space until I had crossed the line. This little jumped up Italian customs official came running out shouting and hollering. I hadn’t a clue what he was on about but then this British driver, who spoke Italian, came over and said I was being fined about twenty billion lira or two hundred pounds for crossing the line. I was a bit shell shocked to hear this (how was I going to explain it to Staggie). Anyway the other driver did his best for me and the fine was reduced to only ten billion lira or one hundred pounds.

Thankfully the remainder of our trip was uneventful and we shipped home courtesy of Sally Line on the Wednesday where we attacked the Smorgasbord once again.

sandway:
… As all those who used Sally Line in the early days will know the big attraction on board was the Smorgasbord self service restaurant. …

Im sure the prawns on that smorgas board crossed the channel, backwards and forwards, more times than most of the drivers! :laughing:

Great little tale of how it used to be sandway :wink:

M&C Jamie:

sandway:
Took this picture whilst in the Londra on the trip where Welly Ward had his accident. Am fairly sure their names were Hewie and George and that the Transcon was George’s lorry. They may have been double manning but doubt it. Snow chains are on and they left a day before us heading, I think, to Kuwait.

I’m sure a lot of you know them or have info. If so, lets hear it.

You are right sandway, it is the terrible twins Hughie and George McClennan who were based in Port Talbot. They may have bought it from Gentleman George Ghin who owned taytrans at one time.
regards Jamie.

Hi Dave, I remember seeing that Transcon at the Mocamp about 1980ish and I seemed to think that it had a Scottish connection to it. I remember that Gentleman George worked for A.C.H. in the late eighties but I can’t remember when he finished doing the Middle East.
The last that I heard about the Terrible Twins, Hughie and George was when either Peter Wall or Alfie Jones told me that they seemed to be spending most of their time operating out of an armchair, next to the payphone in a working men’s club in or near Port Talbot.
Maybe Sandway or Efes can remember the owner driver from South Wales who used to deliver two Jaguar cars down to the Middle East in a box van,I think that his name could of been Colin.

B.T.W. Brian, that was a very nice story that you wrote about the trip with your wife and if I get the time then I shall tell you about a trip that I did with my wife and something that happened to her in The Pudding Shop in Istanbul.
And finally, can anybody tell us anything about this company who were mentioned on the Middle East thread some time ago.

Now I am getting confused. Efes tells us he drove for Taytran who were from Crowborough and was friendly with Chris Taylor the son. Another well respected TNUK contributor mentions the terrible twins from South Wales and George Chin who at one time possibly owned Taytran and now mushroomman thinks there was a Scottish connection with the company? However, I only met those two lads shown in the photo the once and I always thought George and the Taytran lorry were from north of the border but I don’t know what made me think that.

I have mentioned on this forum many times that my “little grey cells” let me down occasionally. Have I got the names, George and Hewie, supposedly the two drivers shown in the photo confused with the terrible twins. Not in appearance though, as I shipped over with them from Koper to Tartous when one of them fell out of the top bunk and cracked some ribs. So I kinda know them.

Thanks for the kind words re my last post about the Yugo trip with my wife mushroomman. Looking forward to reading of your experiences with yours down to Istanbul. Please not another of War and Peace dimensions though. You show my little jottings up for what they are. Cant help with the photos of the lorries you posted or who took the Jags down to the M/E. As you say maybe Efes can help.

There is nothing wrong with your little grey cells Brian. :smiley:
It was me and I don’t know how many other old drivers on here who had forgotten all about that fantastic Smorgasbord on The Sally Line or the sound of that Kadunk…Kadunk…Kadunk every time you went over those concrete sections on the Yugoslav Autoput, until you mentioned it. :wink:

Danish lorry I think. Was it a lapse of concentration or tiredness? It was easy to get one wheel off the tarmac and then lose control.

Swedish Brian! “BILSPEDITION” is or was a Swedish company, also the reg is Swedish! Not necessarily a Swedish steering wheel attendant though, even back then!

Nottsnortherner:
Swedish Brian! “BILSPEDITION” is or was a Swedish company, also the reg is Swedish! Not necessarily a Swedish steering wheel attendant though, even back then!

Always nice when someone replies to the deliberate mistake!!! Yes, it was Bilspedition. I bet its its still laying there but the load of tiles will have gone.

sandway:
Now I am getting confused. Efes tells us he drove for Taytran who were from Crowborough and was friendly with Chris Taylor the son. Another well respected TNUK contributor mentions the terrible twins from South Wales and George Chin who at one time possibly owned Taytran and now mushroomman thinks there was a Scottish connection with the company? However, I only met those two lads shown in the photo the once and I always thought George and the Taytran lorry were from north of the border but I don’t know what made me think that.

I have mentioned on this forum many times that my “little grey cells” let me down occasionally. Have I got the names, George and Hewie, supposedly the two drivers shown in the photo confused with the terrible twins. Not in appearance though, as I shipped over with them from Koper to Tartous when one of them fell out of the top bunk and cracked some ribs. So I kinda know them.

Thanks for the kind words re my last post about the Yugo trip with my wife mushroomman. Looking forward to reading of your experiences with yours down to Istanbul. Please not another of War and Peace dimensions though. You show my little jottings up for what they are. Cant help with the photos of the lorries you posted or who took the Jags down to the M/E. As you say maybe Efes can help.

I was a bit dubious about “Taytran” being the Taylor’s company name to be honest but when I saw people saying Taytran was owned by Chris & Ken Taylor (sandway?) and I assumed it was my failing memory and had forgotten. The white Iveco in which I went to Baghdad in Jan 1979 was not sign-written. I thought the Taylor business was called “Star Transport” but then “Taytran” did seem a likely name… If indeed they used a name at all being owner drivers… How much I’ve forgotten.

Efes:

sandway:

I was a bit dubious about “Taytran” being the Taylor’s company name to be honest but when I saw people saying Taytran was owned by Chris & Ken Taylor (sandway?) and I assumed it was my failing memory and had forgotten. The white Iveco in which I went to Baghdad in Jan 1979 was not sign-written. I thought the Taylor business was called “Star Transport” but then “Taytran” did seem a likely name… If indeed they used a name at all being owner drivers… How much I’ve forgotten.

Thanks Efes. I think we’ll let this Taytran topic die a natural death. We’re not going to get to the bottom of it.

To confuse the issue of Taytran a bit more, in 1980 I ran down to Baghdad from Kapik with a driver called Ray who worked for Taytran, he always wore a flat cap,and I met him a couple of times that year.
I also ran to Baghdad with another Taytran driver around that time, he was called Andy, I was told years later that he had married a girl from Birds in Birmingham and that he was now their transport manager.
I seem to remember that they both had red Transcons without any signwriting on them.
Pete

sandway:

sandway:
Took this picture whilst in the Londra on the trip where Welly Ward had his accident. Am fairly sure their names were Hewie and George and that the Transcon was George’s lorry. They may have been double manning but doubt it. Snow chains are on and they left a day before us heading, I think, to Kuwait.

I’m sure a lot of you know them or have info. If so, lets hear it.

volvo303 posted on Oct 11 2012 that Taytran was owned by Ken Taylor and son Chris drove for him. volvo303 had also driven a Taytran Transcon. Come on you knowledgeable ones. Lets have some more info.

I took my limited knowledge of Taytran from what volvo303 posted concerning ownership. One thing that is certain is that they were running Transcons. Red Transcons been mentioned. Are they ex Brighton Van Hire lorries?
volvo303 worked for BIS Redhill so not far from Crowborough. He only posted 4 times. Have a read of them Efes. Interesting info.

Attached photo of a Scania 142. A sad sight. Early 80’s.

Or perhaps being Dutch, he forgot to switch the coffee perculator off!

Another photo from my diminishing collection. Looks like red and white British Transcon?

Couple of photos taken late 70’s of the Bosphorus, Istanbul. Lorry in front is, I think, Black Jack of Hicks. The first bridge was opened on October 30th 1973. The true M/E pioneers used this route long before the bridge was built. I was not amongst them!

last picture taken from the haliç bridge just 5-6 km before the first bosphorus bridge. on the right side you may see the hagia sophias minarets and the half of the dome. the bridge is on the golden horn haliç of the istanbul. you may see the ship yards on the shore nowadays there is a museum of science (rahmi koç museum) right on the place of that grey coaster. and walking paths, parks on the shore. on the old pictures there is always a dark athmosphre on the istanbul ı wonder why maybe because of the coal clouds the iar seems very polluted?
mr.sandway thank you for that nice pictures. also respect your crash story on mardin. regards from istanbul

same area after 40 years.

Many thanks smidaredevil from Istanbul for the great photo and information. Its always good to get up to date information or to be put right where I have made an error. Its good because at least I know someone is interested. I have attached another photo hopefully showing the west bank of the Bosphorus from the First Bridge and a second picture showing the lovely county further down in I think the Tarsus mountains.

That’s looking down on the mosque in Ortakoy in the first pic. There was an old fashioned street market down there and some nice waterfront café terraces and one of the very few cinemas left open in Istanbul in the nineties. There was a serious terrorist incident there very recently, I noticed on the news. Nice pics Sandway! Robert