And we wonder why people don’t like us [Merged]

DickyNick:
So the mrs was with a colleague yesterday, colleague driving. Nervous driver, little experience, but needs must has to get from A to B. They are on a motorway and this nervous driver stays at 50mph. Also thinks at a junction they must move to lane 2 regardless until past the junction before moving back to lane 1. So they do this, in lane at 50mph with nothing in lane 1. Wrong I know and frustrating for anything behind.

What does mr bully boy professional driver in an artic do as a reaction to this? Accelerates up close behind to a point where it was scary for those in…

Absolutely inexcusable behaviour.

I know any vehicle is a killing machine but 44 tons of killing machine is in a league of its own for death and carnage.

I’m only a trainee for a class 1 and must admit I was astonished at the stopping distances for a truck in the dry (never mind wet!).

Saying that, the person driving the car obviously has a lot more to learn (or remember) about driving on a motorway or dual carriageway if they think it’s somehow ‘normal’ to pull into, then sit in the middle lane. If she’s a new driver she would have been told countless times about pulling left unless overtaking. It would have been hammered into her as part of passing the theory test.

Two wrongs don’t make a right. I hope BOTH parties look very carefully at their driving and think very carefully about how the situation could have been avoided.

Build5:
I know any vehicle is a killing machine but 44 tons of killing machine is in a league of its own for death and carnage.

Excellent work mate. It’s been too long since we were reminded of this.

If this was Top Trumps then you my friend would have just won.

DickyNick:

Juddian:
When people don’t use sensible road lane discipline or make normal progress then frustration happens, there’s lots of incompetent driving out there in all sorts of vehicles.
Most lorry drivers wouldn’t have done the tailgating flashing routine, they’d have simply stayed at their chosen cruising speed and gone past the slower travelling lane on the inside (which apprently didn’t have joining traffic?), which isn’t undertaking by the way.

Might be an idea for this car driver to get a P plate or make up a sign saying ‘new driver’ or something similar, so others understand the driving isn’t deliberately to baulk others (they do exist) or just oblivious to everyone else, but simply new driver nerves.

P plate L plate no plates doesn’t matter. A reaction like that from a professional driver is the reason we’re hated. Plain and simple. It’s incorrect of the car driver but ultimately cost the pro driver clearly in some massive rush about 30 seconds. As you say, if he was a good driver anyway he could have stayed in lane 1 and passed up the inside which isn’t a purposeful undertake so totally legal.

Excuse me, dear High horsed colleagues, but no. Roads and motorways were made for freight and traffic. Freight goes at 56 and traffic at 70. This is for a reason.

Of you can’t do at least 65 get off the motorway. And don’t hog the middle lanes or I will beep at you and call you naughty words…

Oh the humanity!!!

In reality I suspect the car driver will chalk it up to the other driver being in the wrong and I’m very much in the letting it go camp with these things but on the flip side if no-one honks them or flashes they carry on with their ■■■■ poor driving and the constant danger of obliviously causing an accident.

the maoster:

Build5:

Newbie Build5’s already sounding somewhat reptilian to me.

Juddian:
When people don’t use sensible road lane discipline or make normal progress then frustration happens, there’s lots of incompetent driving out there in all sorts of vehicles.
Most lorry drivers wouldn’t have done the tailgating flashing routine, they’d have simply stayed at their chosen cruising speed and gone past the slower travelling lane on the inside (which apprently didn’t have joining traffic?), which isn’t undertaking by the way.

Might be an idea for this car driver to get a P plate or make up a sign saying ‘new driver’ or something similar, so others understand the driving isn’t deliberately to baulk others (they do exist) or just oblivious to everyone else, but simply new driver nerves.

P plates are probably the worst cars to encounter as with L plates at least there’s a chance of someone who knows what they’re doing being in the car. Neither as potentially unpredictable as Baby On Board or hat wearers though.

I’ve said it before, some horrible people on this forum.
I’m on several forums and have never experienced the same level of these sort of people anywhere else on a forum.
Some of the responses on this thread are just horrible.

^^^ there’s one particular pub where I live that in normal times has some really horrible people who frequent it. There are a few knowledgeable and nice people but the horrible ones put me off. I don’t go in there, luckily I live in a country where I have the freedom to choose that.

the maoster:
^^^ there’s one particular pub where I live that in normal times has some really horrible people who frequent it. There are a few knowledgeable and nice people but the horrible ones put me off. I don’t go in there, luckily I live in a country where I have the freedom to choose that.

Sweden?

Own Account Driver:

the maoster:

Build5:

Obviously the trucker in the original post missed the memo about stopping distances.

Maybe instances like this is why truckers are constantly reminded as if they’re children that driving a [zb] off massive vehicle two inches from another vehicle, blowing horns and flashing lights is not a very sensible thing to do. It’s that sort of behaviour why I’ve got to go and sit and listen to some guy for 35 hours for a CPC

I had exactly the same thing happen to me in a van. Just a van! I flashed the car in front to move over and the old guy driving stamped on his brakes, came to a complete halt in the outside lane of the A34 and got out and looked at the back of his car. Meanwhile, I heard half a ton of furniture turn into matchsticks in the back of the van.

He waved at me and came up to my window. He thought I was signalling he had a flat tyre. He was oblivious to the accident he nearly caused and was about to cause unless we moved out of the carriageway.

It scared the beejesus out of me. Luckily, I was in a vehicle that could stop several hundred feet sooner than if I was in a truck.

Taught me a valuable lesson about not knowing what that other driver is thinking or what they may do.

Thinking back, I still don’t really blame him. He shouldn’t have been doing 29mph in a 40 in the outside lane. I’m not a traffic cop. I shouldn’t have flashed him.

Sorry if that makes me a ‘reptile’ or a troll.

Not getting too much into the third hand story, but 30 seconds lost, probably not even that.

You do wonder what the truck was doing in the outside lane in the first place, with apparently nothing to overtake.

Why didn’t you just pass him on the inside?

Build5:
It scared the beejesus out of me. Luckily, I was in a vehicle that could stop several hundred feet sooner than if I was in a truck.

Its a bloody lorry not a quarter mile long oil tanker that takes 5 miles to come to a halt :unamused:
When you next go out training to be an artic driver, ask the trainer if he’ll let you perform a full power stop from 50mph, the speed in question.
Note make sure everything in the cab that can move is already forward of you, and be prepared for just how violent and unpleasantly rapid that stop will be, and pray whatever is the weight on the back is secured proper like.

If you think you’re going to learn anything useful from the 35 hours DCPC course, then you are about to learn differently.

the maoster:
Why didn’t you just pass him on the inside?

slipping inside…mmm.

Juddian:

Build5:

Its a bloody lorry not a quarter mile long oil tanker that takes 5 miles to come to a halt :unamused:
When you next go out training to be an artic driver, ask the trainer if he’ll let you perform a full power stop from 50mph, the speed in question.
Note make sure everything in the cab that can move is already forward of you, and be prepared for just how violent and unpleasantly rapid that stop will be, and pray whatever is the weight on the back is secured proper like.

If you think you’re going to learn anything useful from the 35 hours DCPC course, then you are about to learn differently.

He won’t get the chance too anchor an artic up…

New passes ent welcome [emoji38][emoji38]

Sorry Mr J, couldn’t resist [emoji16]

To the op, had they not done the pass plus?
Used to be almost a mandatory when I was learning as if you hadn’t done your x amount of motorway learning your insurance was near double lol, my mates could never figure out why I had rs turbos an they had metros [emoji16]

Luckily my ‘formal’ car licence instructor insisted that every lesson included some form of ‘A’ road driving, and then after every 5th lesson he’d make a point of heading to the motorway, and off you went.

Pass plus was an additional bolt on, can’t remember how many hours but I’d done the M25/M11 by my 8th lesson, although I had got previous driving experience prior too formal learning…[emoji38]

Maybe you’re ‘colleague’ could benefit from something similar, get the awareness, confidence up?

I remember my first overtake in an artic, scared the ■■■■ outta me hahaha, so much so I just let the geezer on the NS peddle off ahead, an I sloped back in behind, definitely ■■■■■■ a few glory boys off behind me lol, but we have after all, all gotta start somewhere, and we’re not all gods from birth.

Long as no one killed, its been a good day [emoji108]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Build5:

Own Account Driver:

the maoster:

Build5:

Obviously the trucker in the original post missed the memo about stopping distances.

Maybe instances like this is why truckers are constantly reminded as if they’re children that driving a [zb] off massive vehicle two inches from another vehicle, blowing horns and flashing lights is not a very sensible thing to do. It’s that sort of behaviour why I’ve got to go and sit and listen to some guy for 35 hours for a CPC

I had exactly the same thing happen to me in a van. Just a van! I flashed the car in front to move over and the old guy driving stamped on his brakes, came to a complete halt in the outside lane of the A34 and got out and looked at the back of his car. Meanwhile, I heard half a ton of furniture turn into matchsticks in the back of the van.

He waved at me and came up to my window. He thought I was signalling he had a flat tyre. He was oblivious to the accident he nearly caused and was about to cause unless we moved out of the carriageway.

Taught me a valuable lesson about not knowing what that other driver is thinking or what they may do.

Thinking back, I still don’t really blame him. He shouldn’t have been doing 29mph in a 40 in the outside lane. I’m not a traffic cop. I shouldn’t have flashed him.

Sorry if that makes me a ‘reptile’ or a troll.

Sounds like you need another 7 hours, only this time trying paying attention during the load security module. :unamused:

I see this sort of crap car driving day in day out…so much so that it doesn’t bother me anymore. I just tut and thrash on ahead on the inside of the prats.
Personally this sort of car driving ought to be penalised with a forced re-test of their driving licence.
Oh and yes the artic driver is also a bellend.

Oh come on, ‘people’ hate ‘us’ because of the actions of 0.1%? If that’s true then I say ■■■■ such ‘people’. Fortunately this is only true in OP’s head. Granted I’m probably way under-experienced than most here but I’ve yet to meet someone that ‘hates’ me or my truck.

Hey look, 1 cop needlessly killed a detained suspect, let’s hate all the police! Oh, hold on…

If this “colleague” was doing an indicated 50mph when they randomly pulled in front of an overtaking truck for no reason, realistically that will be 45mph, so it’s really no surprise that the trucker was more than a little bit vexed. The colleague is clearly a danger and menace on the roads and needs their licence revoking immediately.

Why don’t you go and post this on Mumsnet, you’ll get alot more sympathy there sausage