Ancient brits heading east!

chazzer:
I remember Don Mottram he was a friend of a mate of mine Malcolm Maynard, I met him a couple of times, nice guy but I think he ran into money problems doing M/E.

WELL AS ONE OF HIS SONS , I CAN TELL YOU , HE HAD A CRASH IN IRAN AND HAD A BROKEN NECK , SO AFTER A HARD BATTLE HE GOT BACK ON HIS FEET SOLD UP AND ENDING UP BUYING A BIG HOTEL , SO NO MONEY PROBLEMS… . THANKS.

mechanic77:
Good Eric Vick pic, I wonder how many times on that trip the A series driver asked the other guy to swap trucks for a while. :smiley:
Neil.

I asked him quite a few times :slight_smile:

Greyhound_1:

mechanic77:
Good Eric Vick pic, I wonder how many times on that trip the A series driver asked the other guy to swap trucks for a while. :smiley:
Neil.

I asked him quite a few times :slight_smile:

So did you get to drive the LHD ERF ‘Europeans’ at all? Robert

whiplash:

truckerash:
After reading all the comments regarding this photo (put on the Astran/Middle East drivers thread by Orientmack), I thought it would be good to see what other “gems” we can find.
I have seen many photos of ‘Ancient Brits heading East’ but never seen this one before. There must be someone who knows something about it? Recognise it Bubbs?

One of Fred K Archers perhaps, Ash?

Just found this piccky, I met this wagon going up Mon-Cenis in the mid 70s, the driver had a bad leg with a high soled boot. He IIRC was going to the M/E, I recall he had a trade pack of loo rolls in his cab.

A few years later met again in Swiss, IIRC now in a Crusader fitted with auto box from a bus.

M&C Jamie:
There were at least three or maybe four of Ollins Overland Crusaders, running from uk to Iran in the seventies, up until the revolution. They also had an english manager based in Teheran. I met them on several occasions on route to and from Iran. One of their drivers was Ron Roberts who also had a hotel in Illfracombe. He was a coloured guy whose father was American and mother was German. He spoke fluent German and was also a Black belt in Karate. One of the others was a big blonde haired londoner by the name of Mick and it looks like him who is looking out of the drivers seat , speaking to one of the directors in the photo. One of the other drivers was called Dave ■■ another Londoner who was running with Don Hubbard one winter trip when he lost the end off his little finger. So Ollins Overland Did make it to Teheran and back on many occasions. Regards Jamie.
Driver who lost his finger was IIRC Brian Peak

A Scot Lost in the Valley’s.

rondavies:

hutpik:
Hi Ian.Thats interesting to know,that Goldy went to OZ.
As to the reg,it was Jimmy Withers motor.Nice guy,we ran together a couple of times.It may have been me that posted a pic of his motor some time ago on here.Mike

Is this the photo you were referring to?

Archbold’s Fiat 619 behind it.

Looks like one of RK Crisps Big Js ?

jeffrey ellener:

rondavies:

hutpik:
Hi Ian.Thats interesting to know,that Goldy went to OZ.
As to the reg,it was Jimmy Withers motor.Nice guy,we ran together a couple of times.It may have been me that posted a pic of his motor some time ago on here.Mike

Is this the photo you were referring to?

Archbold’s Fiat 619 behind it.

That looks like a Commer van on the left of the picture?

David

Opinions on the reliability of Rolls Royce diesels on the TIR-trail vary greatly on this forum. This Commercial Motor take on RR reliability is interesting; and from the horse’s mouth too. Though I have to say that comparing UK trunk-work with long-haul probably isn’t the best way to find the truth! As a general rule of thumb I would think that as far as reliability is concerned, road vehicles fall into two categories: well-maintained and ill-maintained!

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … el-engines

NMP - apparently taken in Londra Camping, Istanbul.

Never seen a Barton transport co truck before,although I do recall Barton as a bus or coach company in or around Nottingham.

David

I saw Barton’s on the middle east a few times in the 70s they mainly ran Fiat’s, I thought it strange at first as I had only ever seen the busses running around my area.
Steve

NMP

Bartons 2.jpg

NMP

Birdie4x4:
NMP

Many thanks for posting those, Birdie4x4! I grew in Nottingham as a nipper and I remember well their fascinating fleet of buses. Barton used to rebuild its own buses and there was a an ultra-lowbridge AEC double-decker that they built (I think on a Loline chassis). They were a very innovative lot and I believe they more or less led the way in post-war Continental coach travel, pioneering trips into war-torn Europe in the late '40s and early '50s.

I had no idea they ran lorries until very recently. And I had no idea they did Middle-east until I found the picture I posted above this weekend. Furthermore, until you posted that last pic, I didn’t they ran magnificent ‘spready’ tilts in their own livery either! :sunglasses:

Cheers! Ro.

NMP
Aparently this is the driver and truck that did the first trip to the Middle East for Barton’s…

Birdie4x4:
NMP
Aparently this is the driver and truck that did the first trip to the Middle East for Barton’s…

Excellent! :smiley:

I’ve just found a couple of pics online too. As follows:

9bfbaa44bb055a23ae5c4f6833d17759.jpg
12518240674_3b6d239d6d.jpg
Rf4684a6a0dfa47893911cd17ff287be8.jpg

Classic and vintage commercial magazine did a feature on Bartons some years ago i think over a couple of issues, it featured the fiat /aec Londra photo, i don’t remember which issue, but it was definitely that mag, if anyone is interested in researching it.

Info was from driver or company so was interesting not like some others wher the info is incorrect.

Steve

Looks like Bartons did a bit of everything.

Click on page twice to read.

DEANB:
Looks like Bartons did a bit of everything.

Click on page twice to read.

They were a big concern back in the day Dean, haven’t seen their
Lorries around for years but doesn’t seem that long ago since I saw their coaches on the M1.