Ancient brits heading east!

what2do71:
Are you sure the Scammell is a model? I reckon that you are trying to pull the wool over our eyes. It looks like the real thing to me with everything else around it made to look larger than life!!!

Blimey Tony, You won’t get a better compliment than this Eh! :wink:

LB76:
The weathering looks great !

So do the leaky fuel filler caps :slight_smile:

Has he just blown some cherry?

3300John:
Hiya ian… when youve finished your project ther’s a 2600 DAF in this garden to be restored,
its been there 12 years or more as i know, sorry its not a very good photo some TN member
might stop and get one for us. its sitting on the B6265 ripon to boroughbridge road
MG]
someone might have a story about her.
John

Just looked on google maps and there’s a Volvo F? in the same garden… Might be worth someone calling by and asking about them…

Me.Paul.101:

3300John:
Hiya ian… when youve finished your project ther’s a 2600 DAF in this garden to be restored,
its been there 12 years or more as i know, sorry its not a very good photo some TN member
might stop and get one for us. its sitting on the B6265 ripon to boroughbridge road
MG]
John

Just looked on google maps and there’s a Volvo F? in the same garden… Might be worth someone calling by and asking about them

Hiya if you drive past i think you’ll see 2 volvo’s i think one has round headlights. i did stop one day for a look. that was at least
10 years ago. they looked like thay had been parked up for 5 maybe 6 years then by how the nettles and grass had grown.
i thought someone may have come back with a story about thyem by now. go google earth …map…yo51 9dp and have a look
John

Its an F10 or F12 flat top, cab doesnt look bad
Jerry

3300John:

Me.Paul.101:

3300John:
MG]
John

Just looked on google maps and there’s a Volvo F? in the same garden… Might be worth someone calling by and asking about them

Hiya if you drive past i think you’ll see 2 volvo’s i think one has round headlights. i did stop one day for a look. that was at least
10 years ago. they looked like thay had been parked up for 5 maybe 6 years then by how the nettles and grass had grown.
i thought someone may have come back with a story about thyem by now. go google earth …map…yo51 9dp and have a look
John

truckerash:
Few more Brits heading East;
This one’s for you HUTPIK…

A better view of the Guy Big J;

More from Fred Topham; These found ‘dead’ in Istanbul;

Used to drive that old H.M.C. (erf) for Bakers in the late 60s.Only did 42 back then so Milan was a long way!

V8Lenny:

[zb]
anorak:

V8Lenny:
Early 92 series had a lot of problems, Detroits lost their reputation because of that engine family. Later 92s were actually quite good if driven right but there were not many who knew how to drive them. Older 71 series was much better.

BTW, in Finland there was one Bedford TM towtruck with 475 hp 8V92. I think it was a special order?

In a handful of posts, more sense has been written about Detroit Diesel, than in the rest of the Forum.

Was the 475bhp Detroit not a 12v71 or 12v92? I thought the standard 8v92 had 430bhp, although I stand to be corrected. Apologies for the digression.

Reading US boards they say that last mechanical 8V92 had 475 hp, it was a silver one, the earlier weak engines were green if I understand right.

Sorry, little off topic, this was about ancient Brits heading east, not north…

V8Lenny found this detroit V8 445hp two brits headed to north east(atk3/83)

Hiya… i got destination Doha today on a disc from amazon £4.95.retail price was £17.95 that must be good.
the tape can go into the bin now.
John

I watched DD again last night, I swear I could smell the chip fan fat in my living room. I don’t suppose that along with a fridge, micro and coffee machine, many manufacturers offer a deep fat fryer as an option - do they■■? Does make me laugh when they’re trying to work out how to operate those ‘modern’ microwaves contraptions at the German services. We’ll never see times like that again as the world is a changing place.

This is a great thread !! these certainly were the days I reckon that it took a special breed to cope . Mind you it was,nt all that easy working internally in Saudi but it was fun …most of the time so to follow the theme I dug this photo out of my album taken between Taif and Riyadh 1977 just goes to show don,t leave it parked at the side of the road and slow down doing U turns… OK lads keep it coming

img118.jpg

Its a shame that V8 mandator couldn`t have been saved was this the original Globetrotter so many have imitated?

ramone:
Its a shame that V8 mandator couldn`t have been saved was this the original Globetrotter so many have imitated?

It did well to get as far as it did ,being a v8 ,never mind bringing it back?

scud:

ramone:

It did well to get as far as it did ,being a v8 ,never mind bringing it back?

Theres something on BLB about this V8 infact i think there were at least 2 of them

Hi Ash
Sorry I don’t have many pics at all, the ones I did have were stolen from my KW in DT’s compound outside Pireaus by 2 ‘gentlemen’ believed to be English driving a white Iveco.

Does anyone remember the rigid Leyland operated by I think John Dee back in the 70.'s? Browny coloured cab. I met the driver quite a few times he had a sideline importing ‘firewater’ into Saudi hidden in the roof linning—till he got caught!!!
Gavin

Anyone remember Iran Container Company? I think it qualifies for this thread as it carried the Hillman Hunter parts out to Tehran and had at least 20 British drivers including me.

Here’s a pic. of my pride and joy in 1973 .

That’s not me by the way! That’s Hassan the crane driver at the Salzburg terminal.

revman:
anyone remember john burden doing turkey in this ex fillingham erf

He still do birds with that old 1900 is it? :question: :confused:

Justin Kelly:

truckerash:
Few more Brits heading East;
This one’s for you HUTPIK…

A better view of the Guy Big J;

More from Fred Topham; These found ‘dead’ in Istanbul;

Used to drive that old H.M.C. (erf) for Bakers in the late 60s.Only did 42 back then so Milan was a long way!

as that guy got a 8 pot gardner stuck out the back off cab

tipperdave:

revman:

He did last year,but he does a bit for pawsons now

revman:

tipperdave:

revman:

He did last year,but he does a bit for pawsons now