Ameys--anyone there?

Davidcox,
I know this was probably before your time but I think this was a Cowley beam when Amey owned Cowley Concrete I remember that they went to the Chiswick flyover, did you ever run out of Cowley ? --toshboy

Ameys AEC Tractor unit.jpg

toshboy:
Davidcox,
I know this was probably before your time but I think this was a Cowley beam when Amey owned Cowley Concrete I remember that they went to the Chiswick flyover, did you ever run out of Cowley ? --toshboy

Hi Ivor
Yep we took quite a few beams out of Cowley concrete, Radley rd, Abingdon. Mostly smallish beams but several at a time.
Also worked in there as a rigger/ slinger when I had a spell on the 15 ton coles crane.

Also remember one time coming out of the place and having to use the rear steering, one of the hydraulic pipes split and showered me in oil. I had to go into the toilets and wash myself down using swaffega!

As an aside, I Later bought my first house there, Radley Green, estate. Where my house was, was just about where they made the beams. I also found a lump of reinforced beam buried 9 ins under the back garden, it was approx 6ft x 9ins x 9ins and laying horizontal. It was bloody heavy so I left it where it was.

It was a brand new house and I had two drains in the garden 3ft apart, one drain was two bricks higher than the other, when I queried this and asked them to change it,they said that they had followed the contours of the land. I said there were no contours, this was a concrete works, they said not so many words were, “we are not going to change it and if you don’t like it don’t buy it”. As this was 1972 and house prices were rising rapidly, (even if you could find a new house for sale) I had to accept it.

toshboy:
Davidcox,

That trailer was parked up in the lower yard at Wotton. I remember that they used one of those AEC’s as a breakdown truck.

Hi davidcox, I remember Cowley Concrete, I had a buddy on Progressive who went there around '68ish, his name was Joe Maddison, he lived in St Peters Rd, if I remember correctly he drove an Albion Riever,.
Oily

davidcox:

Tra1:
First time I have posted on trucknet in regards a couple of things first to Joe Paris the Thames trader was 6 cubic yards and plant number was P1. If you tried scrambling there on Saturday afternoon now you would need a wetsuit. I think I may have seen Harold wall about 6 months ago driving one of his sons lorries, I know he was about 12 months ago. Someone mentioned Tony Baston he used to drive for Tony Dix running to Aylesbury premix most of the time before going to smith’s concrete at Cassington when Tony Dix packed up.

Hi Joe
Go to bottom of page click post reply,
An empty box comes up,
Go beneath this box and scroll until you get to the post you want to reply to,
Click top right corner of that post — quote,
Go back to empty box which now has the post you want to reply to in it,
Click in the box, write reply
Click. Preview below
If it’s okay click. Submit

Hi Lads
Yes I am the invisible man, probably just back from having more plastic surgery, had a motorcycle accident at Blackditch the other end of S/H pit, my bike was taken into Hovinghams pit in their shovel bucket and stored there, my brother in law Dave Cooper was the mechanic there. Tony Baston use to do three loads a day to Aylesbury, when he came back he went into the office and I loaded his six wheel Dodge with three quarter single out of the bins. I just phoned Frank Hall and he confirmed that Tony did three loads a day, Frank has an unenviable memory for his age. Joe Paris

Made it then Joe

Joe Paris:

davidcox:

Tra1:
First time I have posted on trucknet in regards a couple of things first to Joe Paris the Thames trader was 6 cubic yards and plant number was P1. If you tried scrambling there on Saturday afternoon now you would need a wetsuit. I think I may have seen Harold wall about 6 months ago driving one of his sons lorries, I know he was about 12 months ago. Someone mentioned Tony Baston he used to drive for Tony Dix running to Aylesbury premix most of the time before going to smith’s concrete at Cassington when Tony Dix packed up.

Hi Joe
Go to bottom of page click post reply,
An empty box comes up,
Go beneath this box and scroll until you get to the post you want to reply to,
Click top right corner of that post — quote,
Go back to empty box which now has the post you want to reply to in it,
Click in the box, write reply
Click. Preview below
If it’s okay click. Submit

Hi Lads
Yes I am the invisible man, probably just back from having more plastic surgery, had a motorcycle accident at Blackditch the other end of S/H pit, my bike was taken into Hovinghams pit in their shovel bucket and stored there, my brother in law Dave Cooper was the mechanic there. Tony Baston use to do three loads a day to Aylesbury, when he came back he went into the office and I loaded his six wheel Dodge with three quarter single out of the bins. I just phoned Frank Hall and he confirmed that Tony did three loads a day, Frank has an unenviable memory for his age. Joe Paris

Hi Joe , Not the invisible man now then ? I trust that you have no long lasting problems as a result ,anyway I got the right man but wrong vehicle not -bad after all these years. yes Tony was a flyer ,so he worked for Tony Dix and not Ameys then? others I remember were the shovel driver ,workshop foreman and the face to plant dumper driver (tall bloke) but names I need jogging on. Premix though there was Barret, King , Godfrey , Tinson, Beckley . a mixed bunch I would say (that’s enough ) . toshboy

davidcox:

toshboy:
Davidcox,

That trailer was parked up in the lower yard at Wotton. I remember that they used one of those AEC’s as a breakdown truck.

Hi David, yeah I remember the breakdown one that replaced the lhd GMC 6x6 ex us army truck ,pretty fast it was too, normal driver was Bob Wiskin , there was another AEC matador 7.7 tipper at the original Dorchester pit which was for keeping the washer bins empty. --toshboy

Joe Paris:
Thanks gents for posting all the great photos brings back so many memories, I started at Dix’s Pit in Stanton Harcourt by driving the dumper lorries emptying the bins and supplying premix, batcher man was of course the one and only Jimmy Barrett, need I say any more, lorries I drove was a S Type Bedford in Dix’s colour brown after Amey’s took over I was given a new Thames Trader in Yellow, later when Bob Farmer left I took over the Leyland Super Comet supplying Conbloc. I worked at Conbloc sweeping the pads and loading the lorries with the grab machines ( boring ) it was a dream come true when I got the job at Dix’s. Man in charge of the office was Frank Hall later to become sales manager a gent I have a lot of respect for, I call and have a cuppa with him now and again at Stonesfield, Frank is 94, he drove the old Comet 90’s for Dix’s before going into the office he still drives his car about today. The navvy drive, 22RB was Harold Wall, still OD at Cassington I think, he must be 80. Can you remember the Asphalt Plant at S/H with the two stroke, four wheel Commer’s of Birds of Northampton, blue with a pair of wings across the front. I remember the Foden S20 low Loader coming into the pit, I would loved to have got behind the wheel of that, Jim Collins the driver and Phil Bradley the mate, did you know Phil,? David. I later joined Phil at Hallet and Silderman of Watford. Back at Dix’s, I was off sick with flu for a couple of days, nock on the door, out of bed I got, at the door was Stan Dix, he was looking a bit sad he said sorry Joe I’ve got to give you this, my cards, I now realise after your comment that they were laying off young pit workers so old drivers who did not want to go Owner Drivers could have pit jobs and save Ameys high payouts. After Hallet and Silderman I got a job at Anderson and Blake of Eynsham, car and commercial breakers pulling in the lorry wrecks, I once spent a week down on the South Coast collecting old Premix Lorries and taking them to Morgans of Bishop’s Waltham, they then were exported, a great job. Later I drove for Chris Hayter in his early days and finished my driving career with Kingston Minerals at Fairford, Low Lowder and Tipper work. Before retiring my wife and I worked in many businesses together finishing in Cirencester, I’m still a lorry man at heart and never stop looking at them. Please keep coming up with the photos as I have none apart from me practising Scrambling on my Butaco Matisse flying over the slopes that the navy’s had dug. Joe Paris

Joe would one of the photos of you be leaning on your bike with your Austin /morris 1800 behind you if it is I have the same photos.

davidcox:
Joe
Remember Phil very well, he lived on BB Leys the last time I saw him. That said the last time I saw him must have been 1976 or 7 when I had changed jobs completely.
Phil didn’t have an HGV but wanted to get onto the ‘bigger’ stuff so left and went to Hallet and S

I remember when Phil bought a brand new red mini with white bonnet stripes. He often ran out of petrol on the way to Wotton as he couldn’t afford the petrol. He couldn’t afford shoes either, I’ve seen him come to work In leopard skin slippers!!! If you know Phil you will know why he was poor.

Both me and Phil while we were under 21yrs spent several weeks in railway sidings (now part of Milton tradings estate). We were given the small four wheel foden artic (VRX 110) and the 40ft trailer and one of the small Leylands and flatbed trailer.
Our job was to unload steel from railway trucks and take it around to the steel yard compound (Redpath Brown) that was then used to build the new, Didcot power station. It was in the middle of winter and they supplied us with an old ‘guards ‘ van, it was most appreciated as it had a coal burning stove in it.

Jim Collins left just after I joined, didn’t get to know him because I was just a 15yr old new kid so he never spoke with me. His place was taken by Bob Blowing (as in the wind as he always introduce himself) People found Bob a trifle hard to get on with. He got through a few drivers mates and so I then got put with him (promotion for me as it was the biggest wagon). Bob and I got on very well, I think he appreciated that I wasn’t completely stupid. We were driver and mate for several years, and he argued and won the argument for me to learn to drive our wagon, the six wheeled artic low loader 122 ERO. In those days you had to be 25yrs to drive an Amey truck, They made an exception for me and at 21yrs found myself driving Amey’s biggest wagon!
After I had passed my HGV (still 21) they gave me a Leyland comet low loader, I occasionally took out the Foden after Bob left if they had a big load to move.

For my mate on the Leyland I had a childhood buddy (Colin Brown) who was a year younger than me and was the spitting image of John Lennon. We used to get some funny looks getting out of the low loader with a big load on board and going into the old transport cafes. We were stared at even more when we had to take out the Foden 122 ERO, on one occasion we went to Thames Water on Osney island, Oxford to move their Prestman navy, and the manager there wouldn’t believe that I was the driver, and asked me to send him up (we were in his office).

Hi David, First meet Phil in the Stage Club, Oxford I also meet my wife there, would you believe Phil lives on Osney Island, been there a long time. Phil is still working as a carpenter, one man band called ATTIC+. Joe Paris

Hi Joe
It;s strange to think that Phil is a self employed carpenter who must be in his 70s now, I only remember him as a spiky haired, skinny youngster with an eternally runny nose.

He lived opposite the Black bird pub BBLeys with his parents in those days. A lot of water under the bridge since then.

I seem to remember he was a drivers mate with Mick Harding who was Horace Hardings (Toshboy will know him) son. At 16-17yrs old it was very strange to me that Mick Harding called his Dad Horace and not Dad!?

davidcox:
Hi Joe
It;s strange to think that Phil is a self employed carpenter who must be in his 70s now, I only remember him as a spiky haired, skinny youngster with an eternally runny nose.

He lived opposite the Black bird pub BBLeys with his parents in those days. A lot of water under the bridge since then.

I seem to remember he was a drivers mate with Mick Harding who was Horace Hardings (Toshboy will know him) son. At 16-17yrs old it was very strange to me that Mick Harding called his Dad Horace and not Dad!?

Hi David . Horace Harding must have been one of the oldest serving Amey men .

Dix2.jpg

Tra1:

Hi Tra 1,
In this picture who was the driver ,obviously one of Tony Dix s trucks , seen him around the pits a few times but never spoke to him as I remember- --toshboy

davidcox:

Hi david ,
this dirty one --was it yours ?

Amey dozer lowloader.jpg

toshboy:

Tra1:

Hi Tra 1,
In this picture who was the driver ,obviously one of Tony Dix s trucks , seen him around the pits a few times but never spoke to him as I remember- --toshboy

When I drove for Ameys at Coln Gravel Lechlade ( a long long time ago :slight_smile: ) Dix Had 3, 6 wheeler Dodges running out of there, cant for the life of me remember the drivers names, but 2 of the drivers were brothers, I think one of them emigrated to Australia.

toshboy:

davidcox:

Hi david ,
this dirty one --was it yours ?

Hi Ivan
No not my trailer, it is a Tasker trailer but the swan neck is to low and short for a six wheel unit. Methinks the unit is the predecessor of the smaller 4 wheeler Foden VRX 110 Mick Harding’s and later Trevor Bennett’s.

toshboy:

Tra1:

Hi Tra 1,

Nice clean looking Wetheril loader, been to Welling Garden City many times to pick new ones up from the factory.

Hi ex Ameys Low Loader drivers, hope this photo shows up on forum and I have one to follow which shows the navvy on the trailer. The man on the right is the Preistman driver Gerald Bowsher from White Horse Contractors on the left is the Ameys driver, hopefully you will know him.

Have any of you seen these photos before. Joe