Alcatraz and Carisio in Italy

welshboyinspain:
looking at yours and others descriptions i was obviously in the wrong place :blush: :blush:

There was another place, at a bridge, right above the A4 on the northern side. Iā€™ve been struggling to remember itā€™s name since I saw this thread. I think Iā€™ve dredged it up now, could it be Santhia ?
It looked a bit rough, although more like a well used old place that had been overtaken by newer smoother places, if you see what I mean.
Coming from Turin, I think it was before you got to the big service area at about the half way mark to Milan.

Simon:

welshboyinspain:
looking at yours and others descriptions i was obviously in the wrong place :blush: :blush:

There was another place, at a bridge, right above the A4 on the northern side. Iā€™ve been struggling to remember itā€™s name since I saw this thread. I think Iā€™ve dredged it up now, could it be Santhia ?

That would be the one, it was the exit before Carisio coming from Torino or the tunnels. It was an okay stop but I preferred Carisio.

KW:
Before the new showers were installed you had to go upstairs and use one of the hotel rooms.

I remember that, it always seemed very dark and gloomy up there.

the sisters AKA alkatraz was the worst ristorante i did ever go to in italy.
mainly because the food was crap and expensive.

Santhia was more preferable, probably due to the lack of drunken Brits wanted to conquer the planet

Vascoingles:
Santhia was more preferable, probably due to the lack of drunken Brits wanted to conquer the planet

Santhia was a favorite of mine too. Had a great barbeque with some of Curries one Sunday plus an agency driver who was a former hairdresser giving free haircuts. There was also a lake nearby iirc.

Coffeeholic:

Simon:

welshboyinspain:

That would be the one, it was the exit before Carisio coming from Torino or the tunnels

thats where i went wrong then coming from MI i came off after the tunnels

They were good as gold at Santhia, i got stuck out over New year in the late 80ā€™s with a couple of other Brits and Danish drivers . We were at Carrisio and were told they were shutting so went up to Santhia and they were happy to stay open New years eve for us :sunglasses: so it was only fair to make it worth their while with the bar bill :laughing: allways stayed there after that :smiley:

Vascoingles:

Quite right,Santhia was usually frequented by French and German driverā€™s,whereas Carisio was Dutch,English and Danish driverā€™s.

Coffeeholic:

Simon:

welshboyinspain:

That would be the one, it was the exit before Carisio coming from Torino or the tunnels. It was an okay stop but I preferred Carisio.

KW:
Before the new showers were installed you had to go upstairs and use one of the hotel rooms.

I remember that, it always seemed very dark and gloomy up there.

i used to use Santhia all the time till i changed to a murfitts driver then guess where i stopped lmfao
Geovanni the guy that owned Santhia was spot on even now though i hardly go down there he still bloody remembers meā€¦ could that be a good or bad thing :confused: :open_mouth:

Suedehead:
What was/is the name of the place the other side of the Autostrada from Carisio ?
Went in there a couple of times.
Bit of a ā€œposher gaffā€ . . .no Murfitts ,Em Rogers or Rennie Hogg drivers used it :sunglasses:
Tin hat ready :smiley:

Hullo Suedehead,
Carisio as you so rightly remember had two restaraunts, the first one was as you exited the Peage, turn left and immediately on the right was the ALBERGO GARONNE. This was by far the most popular, and I think most of us have been well oiled on the Frazzanti in there, it was owned and ran in my days by a large fat lady known to all and sundry a ā€œMommaā€ she looked like a large bullfrog, and used to walk up and down between the tables at the end of the evening, shouting ā€œFinito, Finitoā€ she was aided by a big Guy with a bushy black tash, Mario. She sold out to a real nice couple that lived just down the road by the traffic lights. I knew them quite well but do you know I just canā€™t think of their names right at this moment, but I shall. Mario left and went to work in a factory. Anna the sort of top waitress and a real nice girl stayed on. My son was always in there at that time as he was working from there with a g Medical Trailer with a Heart Scan Unit. The other Resteraunt you were asking about was over the other side of the Autostrada, you went past the entrance of the GARONNE over the flyover over the Autostrada and as you came down the other side and levelled off it was immediately on the right hand side. This was the Ristorante HOTEL PALLADINI. This was in the mid to late 70ā€™s the unofficial Italian Depot of MAT Transport. This was run by a real nice family the Paladinis, Enrico the father was a very smart and efficient bloke, his wife (who died from Cancer) , I canā€™t think of her name either was always there and was a very pleasant lady. As time went on the eldest son Franco finished his Italian militatry service and entered the business, also at about the same time the younger son Mario also joined the business. From what Iā€™ve heard over the years Enrico died, and I believe Mario went to prison for a while. More than that I canā€™t tell you. When I next speak to my lad Iā€™ll ask him, or if Brian is looking in he will certainly know.

Cheers, Archie.

Archie has answered the Palladini question, that was a decent feed in there, more expensive than Carisio, but more classy as it wasnā€™t really a lorry driverā€™s place. Santhia was good in the summer because of the swimming pool nearby and there was a disco not too far away where I learned the Italian for ā€˜ā– ā– ā– ā–  off you fat gitā€™ :laughing: In that area there was also the place in Novara, I knew it as Geneneā€™s or Janineā€™s.

In Milaninni as well as the Sisters, there was the Glasshouse (but Iā€™m leaving that well alone :laughing: ) and the one near the refinery at Pero, the one at Gorgonzola was also good for getting into Concorezzo early doors if you couldnā€™t get parked nearby, of course there was the place near there too.

Pescheira del Garda was another decent place to hang out, as was Sirmione a little further up the road, then there was the place up the road towards Vicenza, canā€™t for the life of me remember the town it was in, but it had a truckwash opposite, the boys with the skins used to be in there a lot, maybe one of them will remember, one of the waitresses had a nose like Joe Bugner :open_mouth:

Further south there was Modena North and Campogalliano, the most famous Italian place of all after Carisio, which Iā€™m suprised nobody has mentioned was in Prato John, Victors and then there was Orte with the poofters :laughing:

All the customs had places where we used to go nearby, itā€™s been a while and I forget the names, but they were all good, in fact I donā€™t think I ever had a bad meal in Italy full stop, if the job hadnā€™t gone down the pan after customs finished I reckon Iā€™d still be doing it now :cry:

Hullo all,
Just remembered the names of the couple that took over the Garonne from Momma, it was Silvio and Christina. I wonder if theyā€™re still there, from what I hear the parking area is double the size it used to be, strange, I thought there would be less traffic nowdays, and Iā€™m sure that I heard there was a Truckwash there also. I intend to do a small tour of central Europe this coming Summer so I shall call in for a quick nose around.
Cheers, Archie.

Archie
If it was your son with the medical scanner trailer ,didnā€™t he marry one of the waitresses from there ? I remember the security man there,rumor had it he shot his foot demonstrating his pistol to someone !!.

kerbut:
Archie
If it was your son with the medical scanner trailer ,didnā€™t he marry one of the waitresses from there ? I remember the security man there,rumor had it he shot his foot demonstrating his pistol to someone !!.

I heard the same rumour about the security man shooting himself in the foot. :laughing:

kerbut:
Archie

Hullo kerbut,
My lad didā€™nt marry one of the lasses from the Garrone, but he did set up home for a while with Margherita and they had a daughter. Mind you before that there was Brian who married Emmarosa, they are still married and living in the UK. There was also Clive, a fattish bloke with glasses, came from Hull. He was living with an English girl that was working there, Merrianne, or something like that, but as far as I know that fizzed out a long time ago. At that time my Son was about twenty three or four, long blondish hair and covered in tatoos, Nick is his name. He is still living in Italy at Monza, still not married and working still with a truck.
Cheers, Archie.

newmercman:
Pescheira del Garda was another decent place to hang out, as was Sirmione a little further up the road, then there was the place up the road towards Vicenza, canā€™t for the life of me remember the town it was in, but it had a truckwash opposite, the boys with the skins used to be in there a lot, maybe one of them will remember, one of the waitresses had a nose like Joe Bugner :open_mouth:

That would have been Monte Belluno i think. Used to stop there regulary on McKellars on the way to Zust Ambrossetti Vicenza! It was known by the english ranks as The eyes in the sky the story being the owners daughter got caught up with an english driver much to his annoyance so everytime a brit walked in his arms went up in the usual Italien way & he would look up to the ceiling! Be a drivers story it must be true!!! :unamused:

jacko22:

newmercman:

That would have been Monte Belluno i think. Used to stop there regulary on McKellars on the way to Zust Ambrossetti Vicenza! It was known by the english ranks as The eyes in the sky the story being the owners daughter got caught up with an english driver much to his annoyance so everytime a brit walked in his arms went up in the usual Italien way & he would look up to the ceiling! Be a drivers story it must be true!!! :unamused:

Montebello, thatā€™s the place, cheers Jacko, it was doing my nut in :laughing:

Thats the one-Montebello, How does anyone expect me to remember when i always staggered outa there ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– 

jacko22:
Thats the one-Montebello, How does anyone expect me to remember when i always staggered outa there ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– 

What he said :sunglasses:

jacko22:
It was known by the english ranks as The eyes in the sky the story being the owners daughter got caught up with an english driver much to his annoyance so everytime a brit walked in his arms went up in the usual Italien way & he would look up to the ceiling! Be a drivers story it must be true!!! :unamused:

Even if itā€™s not, weā€™ll let it enter folklore as itā€™s so good - hopefully it doesnā€™t upset the a-one crowd :grimacing:

Archie Paice:
I intend to do a small tour of central Europe this coming Summer

need anybody to carry your flask and butty box? :wink: