Truckstops in Northern Italy

It’s me again, out of my comfort zone looking for somewhere to eat.

The week after next I am off to Austria to bring back a dog to SW France. On the way out I have a routier marked near Modane and I hope it is still there. Then I am going over Mont Cenis, happy memories, is that one on the top still open? Probably a silly question as I think trucks are banned that way now.

However it is in Italy that I am lost, haven’t been no further than a brief border incursion in 30 odd years. I will be following the non toll routes past Turin and Milan and crossing the Austrian border at Tarvisio, heading for Villach, and will be looking for somewhere to overnight as close to there as possible.

After collecting at Villach first thing next morning I want to get back beyond Turin for the next night and will be branching left at Susa to go over Mont Genevre so will be looking for somewhere between those two points.

Any ideas, anyone?

Can’t help on the outbound journey but homeward bound you’ve got Carisio, near the A26/A4 junction.

skorpio:
Can’t help on the outbound journey but homeward bound you’ve got Carisio, near the A26/A4 junction.

Thanks Skorpio, I did think of Carisio, many happy memories of there, but I reckon a bit too soon for me. I want to get back to Mezin, near Agen and my destination, the following day as I have been offered a good meal and breakfast in the morning. :wink:

From there it is about 3 and a half hours home. :smiley:

There’s also one at Susa, signed off the motorway, just near the ss25 jct.

skorpio:
There’s also one at Susa, signed off the motorway, just near the ss25 jct.

That’ll be the one I want, thanks. :smiley:

Ristorante Miglio Verde? Looks the business to me. :wink:

Mount Cenis now has a weight limit of 3.5 or 7.5 tons, they have to keep it open for milatary purposes and for electricity vehicles.
If you are in a car or van, it is allowed.
If using the free national roads , there are not many places to eat, and they close early, most are family owned establishments, that do pizza, pasta and steaks.
The motorway toll road restaurants have high quality meals, from cold buffet starters, soups, mains, fresh salads, puddings and so on, then finish with cheese.
At Autogrill, drivers fill in a form to receive a 25 per cent discount on meals, they then post the card or give you a card at the cashiers till.
In most towns and villages, there are fast food outlets such as kebabs, chicken and pizza fast food and are open late at night.
In the center of Milan in Duemo square by the cathedral, the Autogrill cafe has a happy hour with free snacks if you buy a drink.
The free roads are slower, more fuel is used and agriculture vehicles to slow the journey.

Things have moved on a bit now Toby. I may now have a Dobermann to take fom Reims to Frejus beforehand, so my kicking off point for Italy and Austria will be over the pass due north of Nice. Will be sad to miss out on a nostalgic return over Cenis but can’t be helped.

I did know about the weight limit there but these days I roll with a Berlingo and a Teardrop caravan so no problems with weights, routes or hours.

I reckon the resto marked by Skorpio in Susa looks like a good’un for my return, eastward bound there are a couple to the north of Nice but I will also need to overnight near the Italian/Austrian border.

If you want to see what occupies my time now that I have left the heavies behind, click on the link below and you will get an idea. My latest was only uploaded a few days ago and now includes links to videos.

Thanks again.

OK, stupid question, Which Frejus?
There’s the tunnel, and there’s the small town near Nice.

I’m also a bit out of date for Italy. But I remember truckstops at Santhia, Carisio, and 2 near Novara, the Sisters and Alkatraz. Then there’s Campogalliano and there’s another Autoporto a bit before the border with Austria. Turin Autoporto as well.
Coming up towards the tunnel Frejus in France there’s Modane of course and before there is an old favourite of the Muppets, the one at St Maria des Cuine (which is the autoroute parking area) at J26. Just off the junction is an AS24, behind that is an Intermarche with lorry parking behind it and a nice resto on the left front corner of the building looking at it from the front.

Also, if you can get hold of an IDS services location book of maps, it also lists what else is available. Parking spaces, resto or caff, showers etc. Most of the bunker fuel service providers do the same thing, AS24, Shell and so on. Any of them will give you a good idea of what’s at their site. Unfortunately not what might be just a km down the road tho.

Thanks for all that info Simon, I will certainly look at what you suggest but with particular interest towards the Austrian border.

It is the town near Nice where I am delivering, a week tomorrow at 2pm and then heading north to cross the mountains. There is a routier only about 40kms along that route but may be a bit too soon so may carry on across the border and try there.

I don’t normally use peages, to keep the costs down, plus I don’t much like the boredom of motorways, but I think I may have to jump on for a section in order to get to a decent stopover.

I used to have the map you mention but it has long since disappeared, I might try and get hold of one before I go.

BTW, I was up your neck of the woods a few weeks ago, delivering a dog to Leven. As the Newhaven summer timetable didn’t suit making for Grantshouse, I stopped at Stibbington Diner on the way up and on the way back too. What a brilliant place, I thought they’d all disappeared in England. Plus, as I am a volunteer and driving only a car and trailer, the man let me stop without paying parking (I think the dog making a fuss of him didn’t hurt :laughing: ). I stopped the night in Leven with the family and did look in at Grantshouse on the way back for a cup of tea and a cake though. :wink:

What a fantastic job you now do i have read a couple of your adventures and deffo will take the time to read the rest as a animal lover myself my up most respect gos out to you please keep up the good work and keep them interesting storeys coming. :smiley:

EASTKENT:
What a fantastic job you now do i have read a couple of your adventures and deffo will take the time to read the rest as a animal lover myself my up most respect gos out to you please keep up the good work and keep them interesting storeys coming. :smiley:

Thank you Eastkent, did you read the latest one at the bottom of the list, where I got ■■■■■■ with a Dutch driver at Fitou, north of Perpignan?

We were both on late starts in the morning, I had only 15kms to go for a 10am rdv, and he with a long load (a tram) down into Spain with restrictions on his movement times. So we got into the cafe/calvas after dinner and that was that. :unamused: :laughing:

The reason I asked about which Frejus is because I made a classic mistake on my first trip.
I was heading for the Tunnel Frejus, but couldn’t see it in my map book of Europe, because it was under my thumb on the edge of both pages :blush:
Sooooo I looked up Frejus in the index. It wasn’t quite where I expected it to be, but a tunnel Frejus and a town Frejus will be fairly close to each other. Stands to reason dunnit ? :blush: :laughing: :laughing:

Just north of Susa is Chiusa did San Michele (sp) it’s on the the old road up to Bardoneccia, it used to be the place to stop in that area.

I used to run south through that Austrian/Italian border often in the early 90s, I remember a good hotel routiers type place in Arnoldstein that was pretty decent, really nice goulash in there.

Spardo:

EASTKENT:

Thank you Eastkent, did you read the latest one at the bottom of the list, where I got ■■■■■■ with a Dutch driver at Fitou, north of Perpignan?

We were both on late starts in the morning, I had only 15kms to go for a 10am rdv, and he with a long load (a tram) down into Spain with restrictions on his movement times. So we got into the cafe/calvas after dinner and that was that. :unamused: :laughing:

Yes have read it and a few more excellent stuff.

Thanks again to all. Just got back this morning after 8 days on the road. First Reims, then Frejus (the town), over to Villach and back to Mezin, which is to the SW of Agen.

So, routiers. The first night was spent at Chateauroux, L’Escale, because it is open on Saturdays and just cuts the journey down to my next rest to a manageable degree. This one was a BP Truckstop at Sennece les Macons, just north of that town, because it is open Sundays. In the more than 15 years I have lived in France I have never heard so many English voices, I thought you had all disappeared from the continent. :confused: Despite a later French driver turning his nose up at the place, the food wasn’t at all bad and the English and Dutch company, good.

After delivering my Dobermann girl to Frejus, and clearing up her diaorrhea :unamused: I headed via Nice north to the Col de Lombarde and the Sunset Routier at St. Jeannet. I saw the trucks from the road but had to ask in the parking where the resto was. :astonished: Turned out to be a few portakabins stuck together and was surprisingly very good inside. So was the food and the, French, company.

Sadly during the night I was overcome with diaorrhea and sickness myself (caught from the Dobie rather than the food?) but had recovered by morning, though I didn’t eat again for the rest of that day apart from a snack and a couple of beers in a bar that evening. No routier this but a friendly face speaking both English and French and a quiet place to park for the night. I think this was between Vicenzo and Treviso. Surprisingly to me they were open from 4am to 11pm though I had to leave earlier in the morning to keep my 8am rdv at Villach on Wednesday. Running low on fuel and trying to avoid high Italian prices I made it over the border at Cocchio and straight into a Shell autohof. I was so pleased to see the comparatively low price of diesel there that I filled up instead of putting 10 litres in before checking the rest of the territory. Big mistake, down the road it was €0.99/litre, if only I’d followed my usual cautious practice. :imp:

Didn’t see the Arnoldstein place, Newmercman, but then I wasn’t looking for a stopover at that point. Collected Buffy, my Bearded Collie passenger for France. She was very calm and friendly, a perfect travelling companion despite her horrendous story. Travelling with her owner and his girfriend in a '60s Alvis they had been driving in a club rally and then went over the edge and rolled several times into the valley below. He was killed instantly and the girlfriend very badly injured (she is still in hospital there more than 3 weeks later). Buffy was thrown clear and picked up quivering next to the river into which the car had fallen, and then collected by the Villach refuge some 75 kms away.

Not such a rush on the way back so I didn’t bother to go all the way to Pavia. as previously planned, but stopped at a routier between Cremona and there. Lucky the food was good because everybody in the place was miserable as sin, drivers and staff, all the drivers sitting apart in silence. :frowning: A French driver the next night commented ‘Italiens, un mentalite different’.

Checked out the resto in Susa Skorpio but couldn’t find it but did see a routier a few kms east of the town on the SP 25. Nearly got wiped out by a wagon and drag driver, heavily laden and dropping almost to a stop on the hairpins when changing down, because he didn’t see me and thus give me room when I overtook on a straight stretch, almost pushing me into the oncoming traffic. He vented his spleen by blowing his horns and flashing his lights instead of driving a little closer to the wall. I think I frightened him as we were only a couple of inches apart when I suddenly appeared alongside his door, pity he wasn’t as proficient with his mirrors as he was with other things. :imp:

Safely over the Col de Genevre after asking for 10 litres on the card at a garage to get me back to cheaperfuelland. He said I could only have €30 worth on the card, so I gave him the cash and took just 5 litres. :laughing:

The routier I was heading for at Chorges, just to the east of Gap, did not appear to be there anymore, so I carried on to one I know 150 kms further one at Bagnols sur Ceze on the N86. There a scruffy and eccentric couple gave me a very good meal and, back in France, back in good company again. :smiley:

At least that little bit of extra distance made Friday a really easy run and I rolled in at destination just as the church was striking 4pm, right on time. Parked up in the street outside in this old medeval town with its narrow streets and ancient buildings, but dined and spent the evening with Buffy’s new owner and others of her late master’s friends.

Thanks again for all the info and, if anyone else is making a similar trip (don’t try Lombarde in a lorry though, worse than Cenis and you won’t make it, I was down to 1st on many of the hairpins) I’ll be glad to pass on the little routier info that I gleaned.

Checked out the resto in Susa Skorpio but couldn’t find it

Couldn’t find it :question: :question: :open_mouth:
It was right beside the autorstrada and sign posted Autoporto the last time I saw it, at Susa West. A huge lorry park and a big, multistory building. I didn’t think it was possible to miss it :open_mouth:

Things may have changed since I was last in the area, over 10 years ago.
I’m told they’ve built a new autoroute from Turin to Milan, the ASTM. We don’t have to duck under the edges of those bridges any more, for instance :smiley:

It is marked on Google as being the building next to the large parking area but as I passed it didn’t look like a restaurant at all, just a big house. I wasn’t stopping so didn’t get a chance to check it out properly though.

I did use that last bit of autostrada by mistake so came off at the junction you mention and there was an obvious routier not far along with a lorry park (not huge though) but before reaching the town proper. This is the one I have noted if I have need again in the future.

That’ll be the place Spardo. It wasn’t a huge lorry park, just a large dirt yard behind the Intermarche… It’d probably hold about 20 wagons at a push.
Great little place when we were using it frequently, popular with everyone so hopefully the remaining Brits and more French frequent the place now.

Simon:
That’ll be the place Spardo. It wasn’t a huge lorry park, just a large dirt yard behind the Intermarche… It’d probably hold about 20 wagons at a push.
Great little place when we were using it frequently, popular with everyone so hopefully the remaining Brits and more French frequent the place now.

As I say, I have noted it for the future, but I hope they are a bit more friendly than that one at Cremona. It’s not an Italian trait I would have thought to be miserable and unfriendly. The bar where I overnighted on the way out couldn’t have been more friendly, and for breakfast the morning after that I called in at another for coffee and ablutions and the charming old gentleman behind the bar was very chatty, in French too. I say old, but we were so interested in each other that we swapped birth dates and it turned out he was 3 months younger than me. :unamused: :laughing:

I have always, here and elsewhere, defended the hole in the floor toilets, against a lot of Brit opposition I might say. I have always thought that they were more healthy because my bum never has to have contact with someone else’s. Providing they are clean and well maintained. This was the case in both of those bars and the routier at Cremona. Absolutely spotless and pristine. A bit hard on a pair of very old knees though. :neutral_face: :laughing: