Aidley,s of urmston

Hi . My dad work for aidleys on and of for a while. Harold Johnson or haj. He Always said best job he had apart from priestner. Anyone got any pics of the Atki’s. I spent a lot of time in my dad’s and absolutely loved goin with my Ald man up to hull every day from cpc.

Bewick:

RICKYMAC:
hi dennis whats the easiest way of uploading pics on to the site,can u not load them on directly,i have a photo of e312 ynd when it was fresh out of the paint shop dont know if you bought that one or not,also their is a photo on here at your depot of a renault r series demo would the driver in it be the late john snape by any chance i think he may of worked for you at some time the flat cap is the give away,he worked for a firm near macclsefield where i was also a fitter for a long time[rick]

Here you are Rick,a shot of the young lady in question stood by that very motor !! If you open an account on Photobucket,for free,then put your photos onto there then you can up-load those shots onto this sight,hope it makes sense although there are some more knowledgable lads on here than me ! Don’t recall a John Snape working for me at Bewick Transport,it might have been for WRM which was after my time.Cheers Dennis.

I’d sack that sign writer Dennis,he’s getting worse!!!

David

HI JOHNSON 3012 JUST WONDERED HOW YOUR DAD WAS KEEPING NOT SEEN HIM FOR ABOUT TWENTY YEARS,IS HE STILL IN WARRINGTON ? LAST I HEARD HE WAS WORKING FOR TIBBET AND BRITAIN,THE OLD BORDERER HE USED TO DRIVE ORIGINALLY WAS OWNED BY MY DAD UNTIL JIM AIDLEY BOUGHT HIM OUT.

I used to work with the Swales when they subbed for Twibells dad and two sons one was called Andy had a bad limp

HI SENIOR50 MAYBE I KNOW YOU, JOHN SWALES WORKS FOR WILLIAM KIRK AT ADLINGTON AS NIGHT WATCHMAN,I THINK HE MUST BE ABOUT 75 YEARS OLD I SAW HIM ABOUT FOUR YEARS AGO,HE STILL LOOKS THE SAME,DONT KNOW WHAT HIS LADS ARE DOING THESE DAYS BUT HAVE KNOWN THEM ALL FOR ABOUT 30 YEARS.

Has he still got his pipe? Also there was anther lad who was a there for years carnt remember his name when working for the Swales then worked for a lad called Steve Kirk from Mobberly
Really nice man used to live in Sale was famed for being hung like a horse

HI SENIOR50 YEP STILL HAD THE PIPE AND THE CREW CUT,THINK THE GUY YOU MENTIONED WAS BARRY KENYON,THE GUY WITH THE LARGE TOOL,WAS SPEAKING TO HIM ABOUT A YEAR AGO HE WAS JUST RECOVERING FROM A BACK OPERATION BUT WAS DOING OK,THINK HE HAD BEEN DOING A BIT FOR JACK RICHARDS BUT HE MAY OF RETIRED SINCE.

Yer that’s it Barry last time I saw him he was on for Richards had a good few nights out with him over the years

're: rickymac. Lost my dad 4 years ago unfortunately. he left tibbets and retired when he was 55 due tTo his health but had a very happy 20 years of travelling and looking after grandkids. My mum still remember s most of the name of drivers he worked with. And I have lots of happy memories of aidleys with my dad which got me into driving myself, driving tankers. Remember the atki and how much my dad loved that truck so much so that he nearly bought it.

What’s your dad’s name Ricky?

HI JOHNSON3012 MY DADS NAME IS ALEC HE,S 74 YEARS OLD NOW,BUT HAS ONLY JUST RETIRED SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR DAD HE WAS A GREAT GUY,REMEMBER HIM AND YOUR MUM AT CHRISTMAS PARTIES AT THE A.E.U CLUB AT ECCLES GOOD TIMES INDEED, DONT KNOW IF YOU NEW GERALD PRIESTNER WHO YOUR DAD WORKED FOR BUT HE PASSED AWAY 3 DAYS AGO BUT WAS IN HIS LATE EIGHTIES.

Hi guys I hope you read this post. I used to work for Barry the brick but was running for Aidleys at first with a Boxer Rigid on P&G but later run one of the Atki Borderers SWT 954M. I remember Alec b4 he went to Air Products, Barry (DDK) Kenyon, Charlie Plum, Jimmy White, Kenny Rushworth, Barry Townend. Pipey Swales and his lads Ollie Beak & Dave Rimmer in the office. I was put on contract shunting for United Biscuits at Stockport then they offered me a full time job so I left Barry & Aidleys. Its a real shame that the company went to the wall as it was a great set of lads and I enjoyed working there. :smiley: :smiley:

HI CHARLIE HOPE ALL IS WELL,NOT SEEN YOU FOR A LONG TIME,THINK THE LAST TIME I SAW YOU WAS ON THE PICNIC AREA ON THE M56 THAT WAS ABOUT 25 YEARS AGO BET YOUR READY FOR RETIREMENT, JOHN ATKINSON DIED A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO THINK HE WAS OVER 90 YEARS OLD I BELIEVE HE HAD DEMENTIA IN THE END,PIPEY SWALES IS STILL WORKING ON THE SECURITY AT WILLIAM KIRKS AT ADLINGTON.

hi
some pics of my time at aidleys,i ended up with a 113 scania but didnt take any pics of it

dave

cracking pics dave thanks for posting worked out of the mill for a few months with steve chap jimmy wright Ronnie and a few others remember hdb new at Westbourne rd cheers rob

1960s I lived near Aidleys original yard off Grofts Bank Road Urmston. When my hours were up I would get a lift home. Next morning I would walk to Preistners at Flixton road Carrington or Aidleys Urmston to get a lift back to my lorry.
Original Photo posted from moomooland Northwest trucks
Regards Kev

Aidleys.jpg

Paul Duggan’s superb ERF Aseries in original Aidleys livery

THE A SERIES OF AIDLEYS OF URMSTON WAS DRIVEN FROM NEW BY JOHN{PIPEY}SWALES ON THE KELLOGS CONTRACT,FOR THE FIRST FEW YEARS OF ITS LIFE IT DID BRIDGEWATER AND BACK EVERY DAY SO CLOCKED UP A FEW MOTORWAY MILES,