Ackworth / Onward Transport

I’ve bumped the thread back to page one for the Selby enquirers.
Plenty ex employees on here. Regards Kevmac. (Ex Birtley)

Onward

Capture.PNG

Nice picture of the buffalo, i had one just like it at cas depot rwx 597 m. i think that was the reg. My first new wagon at onward, brings back memories if i could turn the clock back i would do it all again definitely. Mind you i was the best roper & sheeter :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . Learnt it at eric attwoods :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
Great days, great money ,great bunch of lads…where have they all gone, i bumped into tut orrell the other day he is a school caretaker now. Its funny after working with so many drivers that you dont see any of them anymore, or is it that im old now and they have all gone. :blush: :blush:

Any onward lads from cas remember this, load out of lumbs on a sunday morning 48 pallets of bottles then travel to mrs millers in abington. ■■■■ up :smiley: . Then monday up to dumbarton tip, over to bxl grangemouth load plastic pellets travel back home or maybe tip selby. 3 scotch a week great days, till tony benson shot you down and sent you to southampton or london crap work, took longer to do. :imp: :imp: and all done on flat trailers no wonder im worn out :astonished: :smiley: 2500 + points a week every week, year in year out, remember some of these black dog-tom thumb -mickey mouse -flitwick harry -tut orrell -cocko-leaky -bonzo bonson-so many names, ■■■■ skitt dave smythson gerry clegg :smiley: :sunglasses: :smiley:

Aye up Roy hows tricks !!
Did you hear about Jimmy Beard passing away? i didnt really know him r old man says he wasnt everybodys cup of tea.
Tuts been a caretaker a few years now think it came at the right time with there lass dying gave him something to do
ant seen leaky for years last i heard he was badly and it was tut who told me !!
But your right the years are flying by.
Andy

Aup andy yes im ok, hope your ok, i keep passing your yard but never see you anymore av you been propmoted or something :smiley: :smiley: , i knew jimmy beard i seem to remember he was into scuba diving and i might be wrong but i thought he had an underwater accident years ago back in the late 70s or early 80s, but your right he wasnt everybodies cup of tea, i still see danny kistel about, he calls into local papershop every morning .hows your dad keeping is he still puffing on that pipe, i havnt seen him being nominated as pipe smoker of the year yet, :confused: Went for my medical on Tuesday, have to have one every year now ive reached 45 :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Aye up Roy ,no mate ant been promoted i cant get any higher HA HA ye right Jimmy got the benz while diving he had a blood clot on his leg and he passed out and went up to fast !!!
Mi dads ok cheers still got the pipe going i bought him a new one for xmas you can always tell were he is at home just follow smoke trail.
Medical again Roy stick to the minibus mate give up the HGV all that CPC and crap!!!

BIG AW:
Aye up Roy ,no mate ant been promoted i cant get any higher HA HA ye right Jimmy got the benz while diving he had a blood clot on his leg and he passed out and went up to fast !!!
Mi dads ok cheers still got the pipe going i bought him a new one for xmas you can always tell were he is at home just follow smoke trail.
Medical again Roy stick to the minibus mate give up the HGV all that CPC and crap!!!

Hello Andy, I’ve also had my yearly medical. I don’t think I’ll bother after this year although the cpc and adr still have a few years to run.
Give my best to your dad. Regards Kev.

aup andy, cant give up, anyway still got to have medical for minibus its psv with tacho and cpc just same as hgv. same rules same hours its crackers man.any minibus on private hire with more than 8 passengers is a psv and comes under eu rules unless you don’t go more than 50 klm from base, then your on GB hours & rules. might buy a flatbed ■■■■■■ , got any spare pallets :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Raflph. Morton died last mounth

another old driver gone sad days me old mate, hope your keeping ok alec,oh and less of the old geezer, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

For your information, this week passed away Leopold Van Gaever at the age of 97! He was the founder/owner of the Belgian hauling company of the same name. Famous for her AEC fleet and the continental link for Ackworth. RIP.

mandator:
For your information, this week passed away Leopold Van Gaever at the age of 97! He was the founder/owner of the Belgian hauling company of the same name. Famous for her AEC fleet and the continental link for Ackworth. RIP.

Thank you that news, Mandator - I’ve quoted you on the AEC Bollekens thread. He certainly left a stylish legacy! RIP Robert

Well I’m still kicking about only just. So is Dave taylor.geff Chilton an Roy read

von henry:
Well I’m still kicking about only just. So is Dave taylor.geff Chilton an Roy read

Aye up Alec a few have gone this past 12 months Kenny Harris died in the last few weeks pete lumsdon gone only a few of you old lads left me and the others are now the older end ■■?

Andy

Hi Guys,
Just found this thread while looking up Ackworth Transport where I worked in the 70’s.
Jock Barclay taught me to drive aged 21 at the Ackworth school in 1977 and they gave me a job straight away.
Jimmy opposite (Jimmy Beard) took me out for the first week and taught me how to rope and sheet, loading trailers for ICI, spillers and down at Lumb’s (always a good breakfast) using an old Scammel trunker (fleet No.113 I think, what a pig for a novice). Soon progressed to a Buffalo (153) and then got an ex continental crusader (156, a pic on here somewhere) after Roy Bailey got a new ERF with a sleeper cab (sleepers, the bane of Frank Jolly’s life :smiley: )
Ces Haigh was transport manager then, diamond geezer who took it easy on a novice. Still remember a few names/nicknames besides Roy, Graham Jarvis, who started not long after me, Happy Barry Stevenson, Action man, Ferret, Tommy Murtagh, Diesel Dust, Des Smith, Pete Shaw in the garage and Ballacher the yard foreman. Sad that Jimmy Beard has passed, probably more from those days. Happy times and good money for the day. Still have some good memories from then and learned a lot. Haven’t trucked since the late 80’s and wouldn’t thank you for it now with the traffic and dumb kid drivers in their 9 volt Fiat Punto’s around. I don’t think I could as I lost half my left leg in a bad accident in 2000, (long story, but a mechanic didn’t do his job properly, something broke on the steering of my van, hit a tree at 50mph, killed my two passengers and two hours to cut me free).
Lived in Bridlington for the last 38 years and nearly went to work for Barry Read once (ex Selby depot) on international until my ex wife put the kybosh on that. Maybe some will remember me from then (maybe not, but hey), Stay safe if you’re still doing it.
Andy Tagg (Taggy)

Is your name Jeff Tallant ?

Supercrip:
Hi Guys,
Just found this thread while looking up Ackworth Transport where I worked in the 70’s.
Jock Barclay taught me to drive aged 21 at the Ackworth school in 1977 and they gave me a job straight away.
Jimmy opposite (Jimmy Beard) took me out for the first week and taught me how to rope and sheet, loading trailers for ICI, spillers and down at Lumb’s (always a good breakfast) using an old Scammel trunker (fleet No.113 I think, what a pig for a novice). Soon progressed to a Buffalo (153) and then got an ex continental crusader (156, a pic on here somewhere) after Roy Bailey got a new ERF with a sleeper cab (sleepers, the bane of Frank Jolly’s life :smiley: )
Ces Haigh was transport manager then, diamond geezer who took it easy on a novice. Still remember a few names/nicknames besides Roy, Graham Jarvis, who started not long after me, Happy Barry Stevenson, Action man, Ferret, Tommy Murtagh, Diesel Dust, Des Smith, Pete Shaw in the garage and Ballacher the yard foreman. Sad that Jimmy Beard has passed, probably more from those days. Happy times and good money for the day. Still have some good memories from then and learned a lot. Haven’t trucked since the late 80’s and wouldn’t thank you for it now with the traffic and dumb kid drivers in their 9 volt Fiat Punto’s around. I don’t think I could as I lost half my left leg in a bad accident in 2000, (long story, but a mechanic didn’t do his job properly, something broke on the steering of my van, hit a tree at 50mph, killed my two passengers and two hours to cut me free).
Lived in Bridlington for the last 38 years and nearly went to work for Barry Read once (ex Selby depot) on international until my ex wife put the kybosh on that. Maybe some will remember me from then (maybe not, but hey), Stay safe if you’re still doing it.
Andy Tagg (Taggy)

A couple of the mentioned drivers are still knocking around,I think they found other jobs with different hauliers working out of the same Ackworth yard,all gone now though just houses on the land.

Some fantastic pictures on here by the way…

An old article from 1963.

Click on page twice to read.

Don’t know if any of the ex ackworth/onward drivers still look at this post, but sad to report that ex Selby depot driver Barry Read passed away recently.
He left and set up on his own doing european stuff and did well for himself. We all get older eh? If link works it’s the funeral setting off from his home in Bridlington where I also now live. Safe trip driver. facebook.com/watch/?ref=sea … %20funeral