A1 closed N Yorks

yt03:
Touch wood I’ve not seen anything like this with my own eyes, got to feel sorry for the people who witnessed it’ nothing they can do to help :frowning:

Was thinking exactly the same myself. I was about 20 mind behind it happening, so it was already flashing up on matrix, so I shot off up the A19.

I came back past it southbound just after noon. It wasn’t a pretty sight. There was plenty of traffic still stuck, waiting to be turned around. Must have been horrific for those who saw it happen right infront of them.

RIP

Sad to hear of the death of the Artic driver at this accident at 7am this morning on the northbound A1 nr Leeming bar. The 2 vehicles involved were a Artic & a Car transporter the artic caught fire that spread to the car transporter.
I was on the road heading North to Stanley & we were diverted up the A19 as they closed the A1 it was still closed Northbound when I returned this pm.
Again thoughts & prayers with the Drivers & their families.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eagerbeaver:
There is also hard shoulder available on that stretch, so it begs the question as to why this car transporter wasn’t in it? :confused:

Surely no vehicle failure is so catastrophic that you cannot get onto the shoulder?

Traffic comes to a standstill…vehicle in queue breaks down…traffic clears…hey Presto.

eagerbeaver:

SouthEastCashew:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
A kid on Twitter has said that he went past at about 7am this morning and the car transporter was in lane one with its hazard lights on and he had to pull out to avoid it.

You can see for miles ahead of you on that stretch of the A1 so something horrible has happened to the turner’s driver at the wheel :confused: condolences with the family at a sad time.

There is also hard shoulder available on that stretch, so it begs the question as to why this car transporter wasn’t in it? :confused:

Surely no vehicle failure is so catastrophic that you cannot get onto the shoulder? Regardless of this it’s a terrible incident and it’s yet another driver not making it home :frowning: RIP Drive.

In the footage being passed about both the Turners lorry and the transporter are on the hard shoulder. Transporter is sitting with cab and trailer perfectly straight so it looks like it was there at the point of impact rather than being shunted there from lane one.

mbax81:

yt03:
Touch wood I’ve not seen anything like this with my own eyes, got to feel sorry for the people who witnessed it’ nothing they can do to help :frowning:

Was thinking exactly the same myself. I was about 20 mind behind it happening, so it was already flashing up on matrix, so I shot off up the A19.

I came back past it southbound just after noon. It wasn’t a pretty sight. There was plenty of traffic still stuck, waiting to be turned around. Must have been horrific for those who saw it happen right infront of them.

RIP

Just hope he/she did not suffer too much, not a nice picture what’s been posted all over Facebook… pretty certain the family won’t want to see that carnage

commonrail:

eagerbeaver:

Surely no vehicle failure is so catastrophic that you cannot get onto the shoulder?

Traffic comes to a standstill…vehicle in queue breaks down…traffic clears…hey Presto.

Never thought of that mate :blush: Flat battery, starter motor gone etc…
Just goes to show, there are some smart cookies driving trucks after all :wink:

The incident occurred in lane 1 according to eye witnesses. The Turners was cruising at speed and has ridden up over the lower decks of the transporter. The two vehicles have continued to travel forward considerably from point of impact, as there is debris behind.

A my mate told my mate story but plausible.
Guy said he passed a Turners truck as normal, then roughly four miles later found the car transporter stationery with two ■■■■■■■■■ lines behind it indicating trailer brakes had come on. The rest we know sad sad incident for all involved.

RIP drive

Just had 2 photos of this sent to me, unrequested btw.
They do clearly show both vehicles squarely on the hard shoulder.

If I was driving on a smart motorway in Italy…and the matrix said "hard shoulder for emergencies only "…

Deffo on hard shoulder, I went up last night about 9:30 ish the main three lanes open hard shoulder had the burn damage on it.

A terrible thing to happen to anyone and made me think of some friends who are over there from Oz. Driving up the M1 and one of their kids were sick in the hire car. What did they do? They stopped on the hard shoulder to clear some of it up. If only these people had enough common sense to realise what chance they’re taking.

Turns out the transporter was indeed stranded in lane one. North Yorkshire police have issued this request within the last hour on Facebook:

KEY WITNESS SOUGHT: Please share with your professional driver friends and family - thank you.

Police investigating a fatal collision involving a car transporter and a lorry are appealing to the driver of another HGV to come forward.

The crash happened just before 7am on Tuesday 22 May 2018 on the A1 northbound between junctions 50 and 51 (Baldersby/Ripon and Leeming Bar/Bedale) when a lorry collided with a stationery car transporter that had broken down in the inside lane. Sadly, the driver of the lorry, a 55-year-old man from Suffolk died at the scene of the collision.

It is believed that another HGV was travelling north shortly before the collision happened and the driver took evasive action to avoid the car transporter by driving along the hard shoulder.

Officers are appealing to the driver to come forward. It is possible that this unknown vehicle entered the motorway from junction 49 or 50.

They are also appealing to anyone who may have dash-cam footage taken before the crash happened or of the collision itself.

If you believe you are the driver, or have any dash-cam footage, please contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2 and ask for the Major Collision Investigation Team. Or email MCIT@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk

Please quote reference number 12180089977 when calling.

The road was closed while all three emergency services responded to the collision, to allow investigators to examine the scene, and to allow recovery of the damaged vehicles. It reopened at around 8pm.

The driver of the car transporter was uninjured.

We are not yet in a position to release the identity of the man who died.

I work for " the company " and this is a tradegy.

A driver you see around the yard or queing up at traffic office is no longer here, all he did was his days work.

Rest In Peace.

Fellow drivers - please please take care out there … this is a very dangerous job !!

R.I.P. drive what a tragic thing to happen. Thoughts to his family and friends

Link to collection for the Driver’s family here if anyone is interested. Rip Steve.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk