A1 North Yorkshire Closed Wed 12/9/12

A1 Northbound closed from the A1 at Leeming Bar to the A1 at Catterick South.

Serious accident involving three lorries.

A large spillage of paint and battery acid is on the carriageway.

Diversion in operation - follow the diamond symbol via the A684 and A167 to rejoin at J58.

Just passed it heading south and it looks a mess.

Regards SB

I was wondering why it was closed. I was heading for the A19 anyway :wink:

Any more information welcome, one of our drivers was involved.

I was stuck in this just after it happened not good news :frowning:

gazetteherald.co.uk/news/992 … rry_crash/

Long time since i have seen that many emergency services attending a accident so had a idea it was serious :cry:

I guess its true when they say it’s 1 every week… :frowning:

Thanks for the link. Our driver was the gas driver. RIP.

The third truck belonged to Rhys Davies.

The combined harvester was on a low loader in the layby.

I think the gas motor belonged to BOC…

Yet another fatal accident in the early hours. When will people realise humans are NOT nocturnal creatures and the drivers hours are a joke when compared to all the other stupid rules we have to observe.
A thread on here last week for instance highlighted the need to twist the connector on the red line because it could fly off and lock the trailer brakes. A guy failed an assessment for this. Yellow vests all over the place. Hard hats. Safety goggles. steel toe caps for trunking ffs.

The fatalities in the early hours outnumber all these other things, but its ok as long as the supermarkets get the goods 24/7
Half of all HGV fatals are between 03-00 and 0-600.

R.I.P.

Expected to re-open 1900.

PHOTOS:

itv.com/news/calendar/story/ … ash-on-a1/

Looks extreme:

Cosmic:
Looks extreme:

Lorry driver killed in A1 horror smash as three HGVs collide on a dual carriageway | Daily Mail Online

Bloody hell… They Rhys driver has been so bloody lucky here. The whole passenger side of the cab literally sheered straight off.

I saw another picture of the front of the gas truck and there looked to be very little damage to it… I wonder if it was the impact from behind that caused the poor guys fatal injuries… Whatever happened. RIP

cheekymonkey:
Yet another fatal accident in the early hours. When will people realise humans are NOT nocturnal creatures and the drivers hours are a joke when compared to all the other stupid rules we have to observe.
A thread on here last week for instance highlighted the need to twist the connector on the red line because it could fly off and lock the trailer brakes. A guy failed an assessment for this. Yellow vests all over the place. Hard hats. Safety goggles. steel toe caps for trunking ffs.

The fatalities in the early hours outnumber all these other things, but its ok as long as the supermarkets get the goods 24/7
Half of all HGV fatals are between 03-00 and 0-600.

R.I.P.

I try not to start before 5.30 anymore, for that reason, when I’m back in our depot we’re covered in cotton wool, with health and safety, stupid things that just satisfy our health and safety manager, so I make a point now of no stupid early starts, and think what gets done gets done, and take it from there. Another good man lost doing his job… R.I.P. :cry:

North Yorkshire Police

Update on A1 fatal collision

This is an update on the fatal road traffic collision which occurred during the early hours of today - Wednesday 12 September 2012 - on the A1 south of Catterick.
Collision

We can confirm that the HGV driver who was killed in the incident is a 38-year-old man from the Stockton-on-Tees area. His next of kin have been informed but we are not expected to be in a position to name him until tomorrow at the earliest.

The 58-year-old driver of the HGV with a curtain side trailer, from the North Lincolnshire area, is being treated at Darlington Memorial Hospital. His condition is described as critical but stable.

No-one else was injured.

northyorkshire.police.uk/ind … cleid=9427

Pimpdaddy:

We sub-contract to BOC, but it wasn’t a BOC unit or driver.

Full article in the Mail Online HERE

Mike_:

Pimpdaddy:

We sub-contract to BOC, but it wasn’t a BOC unit or driver.

It’s a TDG (Norbert Tankers) unit.

Sad,very sad. Condolences to all those involved.

How much longer will they continue to build roads with not fit for purpose laybys. I know this stretch isn`t new but they are still building roads with laybys right by the side of them.

Cosmic:
It’s a TDG (Norbert Tankers) unit.

I’m sorry but it’s not. Norbert control most of the sub-contracted cylinder trunking, but there are a few other smaller outfits involved as well.

I’m not trying to be cryptic, it’s just that from my username, my employer would be able to work out who I am so I’d rather not name them on here.

The “official” story so far is that the driver was on the back of the trailer checking the cylinders (there was some highly hazardous product on board) when the Rhys Davies wagon hit the rear of the trailer.

Very sad indeed; he leaves a wife and two young children.