A to Z Transport Miscellaney

Rank and Rank Hovis selection

Rank Foden.jpg

Rank Hovis.jpg

Ranks Reivers.jpg

Rank’s Hippo, now for the sharp eyed amongst us, this Leyland Hippo was photographed in 1931, look back at the Leyland Beaver of Pritchard’s photographed in 1966. 35 years separate the photos, but what is common to both photos? (Apart from the obvious of both lorries being Leylands)

Rayleigh Roller Flour Mills (E. Garrett)

Rayleigh Roller Mills, (E. Garrett).jpg

Read Woodrow

Reads of Norwich

RHM Agriculture

Robinsons of Deptford Bridge

Foden DG 2.jpg

Rolls Royce engine in ERF (sorry Dennis :cry: :cry: )

gingerfold:
Read Woodrow

Now that’s a nice shot of a brand new Scammell ! I wonder what year it was taken, early 60’s maybe ? and it is shod on cross ply tyres. And would it have had the Leyland 600 or the Gardner 150 LX I wonder. Cheers Dennis.

Roquette Contract ERFs (Turners of Soham)

Roquette Contract.jpg

gingerfold:

Cheap 'an nasty ! :blush: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

gingerfold:
Read Woodrow

Now that’s a nice shot of a brand new Scammell ! I wonder what year it was taken, early 60’s maybe ? and it is shod on cross ply tyres. And would it have had the Leyland 600 or the Gardner 150 LX I wonder. Cheers Dennis.

1963 IIRC, and Leyland P.680. The trailer chassis, axles, suspension are also Scammell

gingerfold:

Bewick:

gingerfold:
Read Woodrow

1963 IIRC, and Leyland P.680. The trailer chassis, axles, suspension are also Scammell

Thanks for the info “GF”, Brady’s ran a couple of Scammell units and at least one 8 wheeler of similar vintage all of which had the 150 LX engine. Cheers Dennis.

gingerfold:
Rank’s Hippo, now for the sharp eyed amongst us, this Leyland Hippo was photographed in 1931, look back at the Leyland Beaver of Pritchard’s photographed in 1966. 35 years separate the photos, but what is common to both photos? (Apart from the obvious of both lorries being Leylands)

Is it that the ships in the background both belonged to The Blue Star Line Graham. :confused:
I am now certain that the photo of the Pritchard’s Beaver was taken in Birkenhead Docks. :smiley:

Rank%20Hippo.jpg

Pritchard%20Beaver.jpg

TruckNet.Old Time Lorries.A To Z Transport Miscellaney.Page 19.The Letter R For…We Will See :wink: :slight_smile: …VALKYRIE.
Tuesday,22nd August,2017.

Ralph.
Motor Trucks Marque,made from 1967 to 1971.A South African marque founded by Ralph Lewis,

Rolway Enterprises,Opshirton,Johannesburg,South Africa.1967-1970.

Rolway Enterprises,P.O.BOX 3988,Alrode,Transvaal,South Africa.1970-1971.

Produced just 42 motor trucks during it’s lifetime.Ralph mainly produced custom-built motor trucks,and fitted high
quality engines from ■■■■■■■ and Detroit Diesel,gearboxes by Allison,Clark,Fuller and Spicer,drive axles
from Rockwell-Standard and Hendrickson.
Among the models built were a 105 tons GVW 10x10,Detroit Diesel 12V71 V12-Engined tank transporter for the South African military,four 6x4 heavy haulage ballast diesel road locomotives for South African Railways and some Ralph Model C12C3,
■■■■■■■ V12 700 BHP Diesel-Engined,71.4 Tons GTW,6x4 Tractive Unit-Tipper-Bodied Articulated Lorry-Motor Trucks.

Photographs of Ralph’s are almost as rare as Guy Big J4T Gardner 8LXB 240-250 Tractive Units! :exclamation: :slight_smile:

Ralph Normal Control 6x4 Articulated Lowloader Motor Truck-Lorry.Ralph marque,made by Rolway Enterprises - address No.2 - P.O.BOX 3988,Alrode,Transvaal,South Africa.1967-1971:-

Ralph Normal Control-Bonneted 6x4 Flat-Bodied Articulated Motor Truck-Lorry.Ralph marque,made by -address No.1 - Rolway Enterprises,Opshirton,Johannesburg,South Africa.1967-1971:-

Ralph Normal Control-Bonneted 6x4 Flat-Bodied Articulated Motor Truck-Lorry.Ralph marque,made by -address No.1 - Rolway Enterprises,Opshirton,Johannesburg,South Africa.1967-1971..png

I wish that I could obtain bigger and better photographs of the Ralph COE Motor Truck,QV photograph.

Ralph COE 4x2 or 6x4 Tactive Unit-Articulated Lowloader Motor Truck-Lorry.Ralph marque,made by Rolway Enterprises.I want bigger and better photographs of this Ralph COE model motor truck.Please :slight_smile: :-

Ralph COE 4x2 or 6x4 Tactive Unit-Articulated Lowloader  Motor Truck-Lorry.Ralph marque,made by Rolway Enterprises.I want bigger and better photographs of this Ralph COE model motor truck.Please..png

Rigid Lorries-Motor Trucks…and for reasons of photograph-attachment restrictions there ain’t a rigid
eight-wheeler lorry in sight! :exclamation: :unamused: :smiley: :slight_smile:

And if you think rigid eight-wheeler lorries are impressive - which they are of course - just get a load of

this fascinating and magnificent lot! :exclamation: :smiley: :slight_smile:

Oshkosh D-Series D-3464-3D-1,Twin Steer Rigid 12x10-Lift Up Trailing Axle Concrete Mixer Motor Truck-Lorry.G.R.I.Gravel Company.Designed to suit differant axle-load regulations in differant states.USA.Hanks Pictures:-

Autocar ACX COE Triple Steer Rigid 12x6 Motor Truck-Lorry:-

Kenworth Conventional-Normal Control Triple Steer Rigid 12x6 Tractive Unit-Artic Motor Truck-Lorry:-

Kenworth Conventional-Normal Control Triple Steer Rigid 12x6 Tractive Unit-Artic Motor Truck-Lorry.png

Kenworth K200 COE Twin Steer Rigid 10x4-Trailing or Pusher Axle or 10x6 Heavy Recovery Vehicle - HRV - Wrecker -
Breakdown Lorry - Tow Truck.INCREDIBLE HULK.Truckworks.Australia:-

Kenworth K200 COE Twin Steer Rigid 10x4-Trailing or Pusher Axle or 10x6 Heavy Recovery Vehicle - HRV  - Wrecker - Breakdown Lorry - Tow Truck.INCREDIBLE HULK.Truckworks.Australia.png

Kenworth Crazy Tow Truck :smiley: ,QV photograph below.

Kenworth Conventional-Normal Control Triple Steer Rigid 12x4-Liftup Pusher Axle Heavy Recovery Vehicle - HRV - Wrecker - Breakdown Lorry - Tow Truck.Crazy Tow Truck,Pinterest:-

Kenworth Conventional-Normal Control Triple Steer Rigid 12x4-Liftup Pusher Axle  Heavy Recovery Vehicle - HRV  - Wrecker - Breakdown Lorry - Tow Truck.Crazy Tow Truck,Pinterest.png

…And this is a even more delightfully even crazier OSHKOSH! :exclamation: :smiley: :slight_smile: …QV photographs below.

Oshkosh S-Series Front Discharge Mixer,Rear ■■■■■■■ or Detroit Diesel 13 or ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ CNG-Engined,Front And Rear Steer Rigid 14x6-Triple Lift Up Pusher Axles And Rear Steer Tag Axle Concrete Mixer Motor Truck.Geneva Rock.FOV:-

Oshkosh S-Series Front Discharge Mixer,Rear ■■■■■■■ or Detroit Diesel 13 or ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ CNG-Engined,Front And Rear Steer Rigid 14x6-Triple Lift Up Pusher Axles And Rear Steer Tag Axle Concrete Mixer Motor Truck.JBP.FOLSV:-

VALKYRIE

Very interesting photos once again Valkyrie. :slight_smile:
The first picture of the Ralph with the SC registration plate would indicate that in the seventies it was registered in Oranjemund, South West Africa. As Oranjemund is in the diamond areas it may of belonged to Consolidated Diamond Mines, Anglo American or De Beer Mining.
The second picture shows that the vehicle was registered in Durban in Natal, South Africa and at a guess by looking at the livery it may of belonged to TruckAfrica. :slight_smile:

mushroomman:

gingerfold:

Is it that the ships in the background both belonged to The Blue Star Line Graham. :confused:
I am now certain that the photo of the Pritchard’s Beaver was taken in Birkenhead Docks. :smiley:

10/10 :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Rowe-Hillmaster trucks.

gingerfold:

My first ex Rank Hovis trailer was exactly like this one coupled to the ERF.
It could have been the very one that I bought. Cant see the fleet number,
I had to go all the way solo to Rank Hovis at Felixstowe to collect it.
The roof width was slightly narrower than the width of the flatbed.

Regards, Ray Smyth

To continue with Letter R, This Ford D1311 was another ex Rank Hovis lorry that I bought
when it was about 5 years old. This lorry,like many Rank Hovis vehicles,was bodied by
Southfields of Loughborough. The “Midnight Blue” paint on the cab was applied by me
with a brush, I think I borrowed the paint from Robert Baillie Transport at Wigan.

Ray Smyth.