A close shave !

I’ve met a driver who was behind his truck when the handbrake failed, it was a fairly new truck too, he survived only because of the rubber bumpers, and the fact that our heart surgeons in the North east are some of the top guys around, it smashed his rib cage to smithereens, he was the first guy to be operated on with a new surgical technique and was featured in the medical journals. Amazingly he went back to trucking after he was recovered, but he said now he always uses a chock when on an incline :smiley:
He got a solicitor to pursue a claim against Scania, but the solicitor reckoned they’d never be able to prove the all important “negligence”, he would have been quids in if they could.

m.a.n rules:
ahhh, so cloggy land is’nt totally flat :smiley: just learn from it mate and move on…

No, it seems they’ve put in some sneaky slopes over here as I found out the other night. :smiley:

I’ve learn’t from it and moved on, but I just thought what a crap way it would’ve been to meet my maker, behind a trailer load of white goods, instead of peacefully kicking the bucket in my own bed with my boots on.

citycat:

m.a.n rules:
ahhh, so cloggy land is’nt totally flat :smiley: just learn from it mate and move on…

No, it seems they’ve put in some sneaky slopes over here as I found out the other night. :smiley:

I’ve learn’t from it and moved on, but I just thought what a crap way it would’ve been to meet my maker, behind a trailer load of white goods, instead of peacefully kicking the bucket in my own bed with my boots on.

You wear boots to bed?
I know of ladies wearing stilettos, but not steelies!

robroy:

robroy:
Ever since I saw that vid of that silly old [zb] running down the slip road, carrying a piece of wood chasing after his truck which was running down on to the dual carriageway :laughing: ,…I’ve always double checked my handbrake.)

This is what I was on about…drop the bit of wood ffs!
youtu.be/0KIVeBngWv0

I don’t think it would have made any difference to the outcome. Even if he’d got to the truck he would have been crushed by the barrier if he’d attempted to get in. That bit of running he did probably nearly killed him as your legs tend to give up on you when you get old and try to run :frowning: .

Juddian:
Its nearly always rushing that causes this, same with missed pins, what i don’t get…and no its hasn’t happened to me and appreciate at that moment panic sets in…is why if you’ve released the trailer park brake or connected the red line and it starts to move you don’t simply re-apply the park brake or take the red line off again.

It’s a good point but as you say panic set in and I just ran for the cab. Would make a lot more sense to reapply the trailer brake

idrive:

Juddian:
Its nearly always rushing that causes this, same with missed pins, what i don’t get…and no its hasn’t happened to me and appreciate at that moment panic sets in…is why if you’ve released the trailer park brake or connected the red line and it starts to move you don’t simply re-apply the park brake or take the red line off again.

It’s a good point but as you say panic set in and I just ran for the cab. Would make a lot more sense to reapply the trailer brake

They’ve got a simple but effective solution to the problem of people forgetting to put the hand brake on when coupling up at TNT Kingsbury hub. The shunters park the trailers with the back wheel over the stopper so that you won’t roll away across the yard to the bays if you forget your hand brake.

DCPCFML:

idrive:

Juddian:

They’ve got a simple but effective solution to the problem of people forgetting to put the hand brake on when coupling up at TNT Kingsbury hub. The shunters park the trailers with the back wheel over the stopper so that you won’t roll away across the yard to the bays if you forget your hand brake.

Let me guess…
Some now deliberately don’t bother putting their handbrake on?

Franglais:

DCPCFML:

idrive:

Juddian:

Let me guess…

What on earth makes you think that? Why do you think a driver would deliberately leave the handbrake off? For what purpose?

robroy:

robroy:
Ever since I saw that vid of that silly old [zb] running down the slip road, carrying a piece of wood chasing after his truck which was running down on to the dual carriageway :laughing: ,…I’ve always double checked my handbrake.)

This is what I was on about…drop the bit of wood ffs!
youtu.be/0KIVeBngWv0

Hope the scumbag narrators on this video have since turned their lives around and are now wholesome members of our society. I think that’s how it works right :question:

DCPCFML:

Franglais:

DCPCFML:

idrive:

Juddian:

Let me guess…

What on earth makes you think that? Why do you think a driver would deliberately leave the handbrake off? For what purpose?

Why bother?
“Nah mate, no need. The wheels are over the bump”
“Old truck, saves building the air up again”
“I know what I’m doing”
“Oi, watch this! No brakes”
“Bet I can do it quicker than you”
“Did I put the handbra…don’t matter anyway. I won’t check”
How many reasons do you want?

I’m certainly not saying any are good reasons, but…

I drive an Xf. 18 plate. And if you leave the handbrake off. It actually says. Hand brake not applied. So a completely different warning to the rest

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Franglais:
Why bother?
“I know what I’m doing”

If those are the type of drivers you hang around with, keep the ■■■■ away from me. :unamused:

Happened to a guy i know, was at the back of his trailer putting his number plate on and trailer behind him rolled back and killed him instantly. Turns out the driver hooked in to the trailer behind him and didnt put his handbrake on. Soon as he put the airline’s on the trailer rolled back killing Chris (RIP) instantly.

another to watch out for is snow/icy condition i parked back in our yard big parcel company and needed to pop to the loo, i parked on a slight incline handbrake on neutral and off, lucky a driver horned at me whilst i was walking quickly jumped in push the foot break and it stopped. Tbh till this day i dont know why with the foot pedal it held, with the hand break is was rolling area wasn’t gritted much

TruckDriverBen:
another to watch out for is snow/icy condition i parked back in our yard big parcel company and needed to pop to the loo, i parked on a slight incline handbrake on neutral and off, lucky a driver horned at me whilst i was walking quickly jumped in push the foot break and it stopped. Tbh till this day i dont know why with the foot pedal it held, with the hand break is was rolling area wasn’t gritted much

Depending on year/make of vehicle:
The footbrake works on all axles, the handbrake doesn’t.

DCPCFML:

Franglais:
Why bother?
“I know what I’m doing”

If those are the type of drivers you hang around with, keep the [zb] away from me. :unamused:

We share the roads and transport yards with them.
Safer to assume every e is a numpty, and be wrong, rather than assume everyone is safe, and be proved wrong.

daftvader:
I drive an Xf. 18 plate. And if you leave the handbrake off. It actually says. Hand brake not applied. So a completely different warning to the rest

Is that manufacturer OE though? We had a fleet of Dafs (and currently have MAN) all of which had Aftermarket spoken alarms.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Juddian:

I was taught to put the red line on first, and to pause for a second to see if the outfit moved before connecting the other lines.

Sadly this doesn’t fit with my employer’s insistence that we connect service line first and emergency line last…

Roymondo:

daftvader:

Is that manufacturer OE though? We had a fleet of Dafs (and currently have MAN) all of which had Aftermarket spoken alarms.

Yeah. They did’nt have them fitted specifically. Thought it was the norm with modern trucks. As soon as i open the door and the handbrake is’nt on. It will give out the Audible warning.

I used to collect liquid egg from a place in Shepton Mallet as a trailer swap. The trailer, loaded with 20 IBCs of egg was always parked facing up on a steepish slope. Made me really nervous and I would check both brakes multiple times before putting the red line on.

I am ‘blessed’ with a vivid imagination and could see what would happen if I got it wrong.