Forgetting to put the handbrake on

as said on a thread by someone if you forget to put your handbrake on you shouldnt have a licence so my question is how many of you have forgot to put your handbrake on stories please or a yes or no will do i have done it twice no damage was done apart from me pride :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

no, have tried to start it in gear and set of in neutral a few times though. flipping auto BAH!!!

I’ve done it a few times over the years. Never while dropping or hooking a trailer but when pulling up to park. Sit for a minute then go to get out and wonder why the ground is moving and realise I had been sitting with my foot on the brake pedal and forgot the handbrake. :blush: No big deal, excrement happens. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Once, I was driving a rigid and just delivered to a hotel, I drove back around to the automatic barrier and waited for it to open, it opened and I went thru, now the distance from the barrier to the junction was the same length as the rigid, I pulled up to the junction which was on a bit of an incline and noticed the barrier had come down but only half way, I thought it might of got caught on the back of the lorry, I didnt want to rip it off when I pulled away so jumped out to have a look what was wrong, as soon as i jumped down I noticed the lorry rolling backwards :open_mouth: I managed to jump back in the cab and pull the handbrake but also managed to snap the barrier completely off :laughing:

dreva:
as said on a thread by someone if you forget to put your handbrake on you shouldnt have a licence so my question is how many of you have forgot to put your handbrake on stories please or a yes or no will do i have done it twice no damage was done apart from me pride :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:[/quote

Are u admitting as the starter of this thread that u shouldn’t have a licence or shall we just put it down to something we’ve all done a million times and our brain tells us that we have indeed applied the handbrake simply because we have done it a million times before but on this one occasion :blush: …i’d have left the admission out if i was to start it or has yr opinion changed? I did it once,backed under trailer,couple of tugs, jumped out, lines on, legs up, trailer brake off then wheeeeeeeee…away she went! Quick pull on trailer brake , all ok, wasn’t spotted so kept it to meself…till now :blush: I blame the bloke who parked the trailer before i got to it n failed to pull park button when he dropped it (as were most of em when i had to shunt,to55ers) but that’s another thread!!

it wasnt in a lorry but when i worked for securicor omega i pulled up in a garage and i was desprate for a wee so i jumped out the van and went in the garage to the toilet and when i come out the bloke in the garage said is that your van i was lke yea why â– â–  then i looked and it had rolled off the forcourt went across the road and hit a car when i reversed it the car had a wacking great dent in the door :blush:

Coffeeholic:
I’ve done it a few times over the years. Never while dropping or hooking a trailer but when pulling up to park. Sit for a minute then go to get out and wonder why the ground is moving and realise I had been sitting with my foot on the brake pedal and forgot the handbrake. :blush: No big deal, excrement happens. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

No big deal unless you’re parked on a steep hill then zb would really happen as you took your foot off the brake and went to get out the door :open_mouth: :laughing: .But for me it was only once or twice when coupling up a unit to a trailer which could have been a fair sized deal too if the trailers did’nt have the old type mechanical park brake applied when I put the red line on.But for some reason it always seemed easier to make that mistake with an artic than a wagon and drag.

Carryfast:

Coffeeholic:

No big deal unless you’re parked on a steep hill then zb would really happen as you took your foot off the brake and went to get out the door :open_mouth: :laughing:

As I said excrement happens but it was no big deal on these occasions.

Actrosman:

dreva:
as said on a thread by someone if you forget to put your handbrake on you shouldnt have a licence so my question is how many of you have forgot to put your handbrake on stories please or a yes or no will do i have done it twice no damage was done apart from me pride :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
[/quote

Are u admitting as the starter of this thread that u shouldn’t have a licence or shall we just put it down to something we’ve all done a million times and our brain tells us that we have indeed applied the handbrake simply because we have done it a million times before but on this one occasion :blush: …i’d have left the admission out if i was to start it or has yr opinion changed? I did it once,backed under trailer,couple of tugs, jumped out, lines on, legs up, trailer brake off then wheeeeeeeee…away she went! Quick pull on trailer brake , all ok, wasn’t spotted so kept it to meself…till now :blush: I blame the bloke who parked the trailer before i got to it n failed to pull park button when he dropped it (as were most of em when i had to shunt,to55ers) but that’s another thread!!

wasnt me who made the comment mate it was another member on different thread this member says he never has hence this thread to prove a point that the driver whos motor run into the harbour was unlucky as we have all done it at some point hope this clears it up for you :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

dreva:

Actrosman:

dreva:
[/quote

wasnt me who made the comment mate it was another member on different thread mate so i have done it this member says he never has hence this thread to prove a point that the driver whos motor run into the harbour was unlucky as we have all done at some point hope this clears it up for you :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

There’s a bit of a difference in how easy it is to make that mistake though when coupling up to a trailer sitting with all of it’s own seperate brakes applied which seems to throw your thinking sometimes when you jump out to finish all the coupling jobs without putting the unit handbrake on and actually forgetting to put the handbrake on with a coupled up truck when you’ve stopped just like any other type of vehicle.But there might be more submerged trucks if more places had loading docks next to wharfs/shipping docks etc. :laughing:.

Don’t know if this counts -
Downhill slip road - one car in front who stops at the give way line - I stop behind it with my foot on footbrake and then go to put on the handbrake BUT…
… I released the footbrake before I engaged the hadbrake… truck rolls forward… BUMP :open_mouth:
Broke tail-light of car :blush: :blush: :blush:

I personally have never forgot to put the handbrake on any motor I have driven so far touchwood, but its a very simple reason why it happens. When you give the trailer a tug, its a similar feeling as when you pull away with the handbrake on so the sensation tricks your brain. Most trucks have a warning alarm these days when you open the door with the park brake off. Well my 55 plate does.

Done it just the once, for some reason I was driving a Salevesen DAF CF instead of the normal Renault Premium and had just gone under the trailer, opened the cab door to complete the hooking up procedure and the unit told me in a voice that the handbrake wasnt applied, luckily the trailer brake was on :laughing: :laughing:

Count me in :wink:

I was messing around with the sliding 5th wheel on a new (to me) 2033 Merc, before the days of air suspension & air slide 5th wheels, this was not always an easy task, after lots of getting in & out, moving back & forth an inch here & an inch there, I finally had it where I wanted & it was all locked in, so I jumped up on the catwalk, plugged in the suzies, turned on the taps & watched the propshaft start turning :open_mouth: it didn’t go far, but I wish it had, what had stopped it was the open drivers door digging into the side of the building I was alongside, the door was mangled :cry: :blush:

Never done it since though :wink:

Done the opposite with new auto, I’ve only tried to ■■■■■■ second gear :blush: :blush: :blush:

not just me then anymore for anymore :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Not yet for me but lately ive been double checking it’s on after reading the tales of woe on here :slight_smile:

Dogmatix:
I personally have never forgot to put the handbrake on any motor I have driven so far touchwood, but its a very simple reason why it happens. When you give the trailer a tug, its a similar feeling as when you pull away with the handbrake on so the sensation tricks your brain. Most trucks have a warning alarm these days when you open the door with the park brake off. Well my 55 plate does.

So did mine till I jammed a screw driver through it to shut the bloody thing up :stuck_out_tongue:

Did it once 20 years ago on immingham dock me and 2 other drivers ran after it, managed to stop it, it was heading for a boat moored up, haha.
Worst part, is now i suffer from OCD, I have walked away then gone back sometimes more than once to check i have put the bloody thing on, but like i say only done it once.

i did it a few weeks after passing my class 1.
late at night, rain, howling wind, nearly out of time and the trailer i was hooking up to needed the load strapping down.
i got distracted while coupling so i started again but forgot to reapply the hand brake after the second tug. it was nice of those 2 cars to stop me from demolishing that building! and i kept my job :smiley: