28 July Bridge strike M6 Closed jnc 32-33 Galgate both ways

sweeper1gg:

biggriffin:
How can that bridge be unsafe, it’s got a Volvo holding it up.

NOT FUNNY IS IT. its a truck forum, Mr brill driver

How dairy say that’s not a funny joke,not like he’s milking it is it?!

Is that a euphemism eagerbeaver? :smiley:

As one of the drivers who nighted out due to this incident I’d like to say thanks to all the people bringing water and supplies to those who needed it. Local people and the police were sharing water and food. The actions of those people made a very stressful and horrendous journey slightly easier to bear.

M6 V.jpg Fortunately it is due to the unusual strong design of the sub compartment Danish built fridge trailer, with all it’s compartment doors down the near side. that the front corner of it supported the bridge not the cab of the Volvo.

BossHogg:
Is that a euphemism eagerbeaver? :smiley:

Not lost on you I see mate :wink: Anyway, here’s a quick question for you lot…
Do you HAVE to wear hi viz crap when inside your vehicles? And are you allowed to sit with the engine running with air-con on?

(It’s a 2 part question :grimacing: )

HiVis is uniform and worn at all times outside of the station. And Aircon is on 24/7 during the summer. :wink:

How is it looking now? Closed still? Restrictions?

toonsy:

down to 2 lanes and open 50mph speed limit may have to take brigde out i heard.but i think they raise it a foot or so and build a new support under it

truckertart:
As one of the drivers who nighted out due to this incident I’d like to say thanks to all the people bringing water and supplies to those who needed it. Local people and the police were sharing water and food. The actions of those people made a very stressful and horrendous journey slightly easier to bear.

A mate of mine ( not driver author Sheila Quigley ) was stuck in this several car & lorry drivers helped out which she is out grateful as she happens to be diabetic as well seen on her facebook page

toonsy:

Two lanes open but traffic was a nightmare southbound when I went past about 2pm today

Turns out the driver is only 19 and only recently passed his test.

moomooland:

One of their drivers was in iceland rdc the other day speaking to an irish driver, he had only had his licence 6 weeks and fell asleep at the wheel 3 broken ribs and a puntured lung apparently.

m4rkj:
One of their drivers was in iceland rdc the other day speaking to an irish driver, he had only had his licence 6 weeks and fell asleep at the wheel 3 broken ribs and a puntured lung apparently.

Ah Iceland! Delivering frozen tat to them you’ll be lucky to get a turnaround in under 3 hours, so with the notable exception of Enfield that’s 3 hours sat in a holding cell with no way to rest or recuperate. Now I certainly wouldn’t go as far as pointing the finger of blame at Iceland for contributing to a driver falling asleep at the wheel as we have no way of knowing a particular drivers lifestyle, but surely it can’t help when 99.9% of all lorries on the road have a bed in them that the driver can properly relax on whist loading/unloadiing but he/she is denied access to it?

I heard from the police that it was a nearside front blow out? Yet now people are saying he fell asleep?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

m4rkj:
One of their drivers was in Iceland rdc the other day speaking to an irish driver, he had only had his licence 6 weeks and fell asleep at the wheel 3 broken ribs and a punctured lung apparently.

Spot on exactly right.

Seeing as its out now i did not want to say before but there is also dash cam footage from a driver following showing him drifting from lane to lane for about half a mile before he veered off the motorway.

moomooland:

m4rkj:
One of their drivers was in Iceland rdc the other day speaking to an irish driver, he had only had his licence 6 weeks and fell asleep at the wheel 3 broken ribs and a punctured lung apparently.

Spot on exactly right.

Seeing as its out now i did not want to say before but there is also dash cam footage from a driver following showing him drifting from lane to lane for about half a mile before he veered off the motorway.

Do you reckon he will be prosecuted?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

the maoster:

m4rkj:

Ah Iceland! Delivering frozen tat to them you’ll be lucky to get a turnaround in under 3 hours, so with the notable exception of Enfield that’s 3 hours sat in a holding cell with no way to rest or recuperate. Now I certainly wouldn’t go as far as pointing the finger of blame at Iceland for contributing to a driver falling asleep at the wheel as we have no way of knowing a particular drivers lifestyle, but surely it can’t help when 99.9% of all lorries on the road have a bed in them that the driver can properly relax on whist loading/unloadiing but he/she is denied access to it?

Companies in the “golden triangle” don’t help neither.Giving drivers crazy runs and pushing drivers to dangerous limits.They’re well known for it and avoided by many, hence why some kid with no experience was took on.

moomooland:

I know I was oot the game for a few years but when did they let 19 yr olds in class 1’ns.?

When I got my class 1 at 22 by christ I was Green but off I went and learnt with some very good journeymen to teach me the ropes(pardon the pun)but has the job stooped that low now?

I was a wee bit more growen up at that age than i was as a 19 year old and I was ready for life away with some serious responsibility and I learnt quick, I had to too work for who I did back then. I was put into the deep end shall we say with a well known outfit who had a reputation but they gave me a start and I grabbed it with both hands and made a good life for myself for 5 years.

Surely the establishment should see this and think about age etc?

rocketsquadron:

moomooland:

I know I was oot the game for a few years but when did they let 19 yr olds in class 1’ns.?

When I got my class 1 at 22 by christ I was Green but off I went and learnt with some very good journeymen to teach me the ropes(pardon the pun)but has the job stooped that low now?

I was a wee bit more growen up at that age than i was as a 19 year old and I was ready for life away with some serious responsibility and I learnt quick, I had to too work for who I did back then. I was put into the deep end shall we say with a well known outfit who had a reputation but they gave me a start and I grabbed it with both hands and made a good life for myself for 5 years.

You can take, pass and drive C+E for a living at 18 now believe it or not!

In September 2009, in line with the implementation of Driver CPC, the minimum age for driving an HGV (category C and C+E) vehicle was reduced from 21 to 18 years.

Reef:

rocketsquadron:

moomooland:

You can take, pass and drive C+E for a living at 18 now believe it or not!

In September 2009, in line with the implementation of Driver CPC, the minimum age for driving an HGV (category C and C+E) vehicle was reduced from 21 to 18 years.

Back then(93/94) they said the job was [zb]. It’s taking to a whole new level now then. I don’t believe it Victor Meldrow style.

What a mess.