1960's &70's town centre lorry parks, where were they?

robroy:

dieseldog999:
did anyone else frequent preston,anywhere between the security park,and the jail was lots of waste ground where all the houses were knocked down…i think the iron horse was my fav pub well within staggering distance from the chinkys and chippys,plus all the clubs and dancing.wall to wall ■■■■■ where the mums and daughters were out on the pull together.i had many a lost day there.a quick flash of the hgv and you were a 1 night member…sin city at its best.
wolverhampton was also a fav with similar parking…i think it was the pub called the blue balls where all the jack and danny frequented,with the more confident ones,had a number in chalk on the sole of their shoes as that was the price in pounds…the amature ones just had to be kept topped up with drink and that was the job done…i think the pub was named the blue balls because thats how yours would look 1 week later if you wernt careful with your choice of in cab entertainment. :smiley:

Turk’s Head was it in Preston ?

god knows.mabey the iron duke??.it was in front of the security park,and there was space for 3 artics behind it…i was running cocacola out of glasgow all over uk and abroad at the time and it was handy bunging him a cpl of cases to ensure a spot.it was also handy for standing on the trailer next to the fence and swapping cases of coke for a few bottles of whiskey from a similar minded driver who was made to use the security on the other side of the fence… :smiley: .just made sure i have enough time up my sleeve…parked up…pubs and ■■■■■,then wondering what direction the pub was in after waking up in someones house in the morn…if all else failed it was back to the cab alone,though i remember being told that the chinky takeaway i flung away heading to a club late evening was eventually devoured stone cold about 4 in the morning when i was crawling about on my hands and knees in the waste ground as by that time i was starving and i couldnt remember where i flung it…where did all those good times go. :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:
did anyone else frequent preston,anywhere between the security park,and the jail was lots of waste ground where all the houses were knocked down…i think the iron horse was my fav pub well within staggering distance from the chinkys and chippys,plus all the clubs and dancing.wall to wall ■■■■■ where the mums and daughters were out on the pull together.i had many a lost day there.a quick flash of the hgv and you were a 1 night member…sin city at its best.
wolverhampton was also a fav with similar parking…i think it was the pub called the blue balls where all the jack and danny frequented,with the more confident ones,had a number in chalk on the sole of their shoes as that was the price in pounds…the amature ones just had to be kept topped up with drink and that was the job done…i think the pub was named the blue balls because thats how yours would look 1 week later if you wernt careful with your choice of in cab entertainment. :smiley:

Bloody hell DD 999 the Blue Ball was demolished in the early 80’s, here is photo of it for posterity! And if you walked back out of town down Walsall Street you also had the Dukes Head pub, spoilt for choice eh?!

^^^^^

I remember that pub in Preston well from frequenting it while on a week’s course at Seddon Atkinson’s training school at - was it Bamber Bridge?

If we are allowed to enjoy the non PC humour of the time - probably not - the group had great difficulty in controlling its mirth shortly after reaching the bar, when one of the members having perused the clientele ventured: " did you see the spear rack on the way in?"

A mate of mine in the seventies who used to drive for Fosters Transport in Lincoln used to park behind The Apollo Theatre in Ancoats when he was overnighting in Manchester. He would phone our house and if I was home then I would go and pick him up in my car and we would have a night out. Another central Manchester lorry park was near Tommy Ducks pub near the old Central Station. :smiley:

jolly sailor lorry park tamworth on the old a453 b’ham to Nottingham rd. two mins walk into town. long gone now.

NZ JAMIE:
There was a Lorry park in Tiverton Devon about ten minutes walk from the town center. Growing up there as a truck mad young fella I used to go down there most nights in summer with my camera,there were lots of locals who used it with quite a few distance wagons each night. Reading the names and places on the side of those wagons taught me far more than i learnt at school.

Sadly it’s all gone now,yep another Tescos…

i used to deliver to whitbread tiverton. about 1980 ish. remember [ i think,] the little brown jug pub seem to remember the whitbread canteen did pasties and chips and allsorts for breakfast.

Thinking of a few down south that I used to stop at, Newbury in the centre by the cinema, Warminster just off the main A36 in the centre (before the bypass/weight restriction) more recent ones that maybe still open, Marlborough at the rear of Waitrose and Brackley on the small trading estate opposite Tesco.

mushroomman:
A mate of mine in the seventies who used to drive for Fosters Transport in Lincoln used to park behind The Apollo Theatre in Ancoats when he was overnighting in Manchester. He would phone our house and if I was home then I would go and pick him up in my car and we would have a night out. Another central Manchester lorry park was near Tommy Ducks pub near the old Central Station. :smiley:

Did you pin any knickers on the Ducks ceiling MM??

David

Hi David, I thought that somebody might of remembered seeing all the knickers and bras pinned on the ceiling in Tommy Ducks. :laughing:
Another place that I was thinking about in the early seventies was the cattle market in Nottingham and paying a visit to the Trip To Jerusalem pub with a bunch of drivers. It must of been in 1974 as the Paper Lace song ‘Billy Don’t Be A Hero’ was being played continual on the jukebox :unamused: .

Regards Steve.

The Kernels cafe, Bloxwich, Thursday night regular.!!!

Racecourse Newton Abbot.

formertrucker:
3300John

The lorry park in Edmonton was in Willoughby Lane, over the bridge and down the lane. There was a gatehouse that was manned by a man whose daughter often accompanied him logging the vehicles in. Opposite the gatehouse was the toilet/washroom in a portacabin type building. As well as the pub over the bridge there was also a good chippy that was run by a Greek or Turkish guy, sold great ribs ‘n’ chips! The Basildon company I worked for used to haul the cookers for Mains Gas next door and they had an arrangement to park their trailers in the lorry park. Used to take the cookers all over the country (often reloading in Mains Gas in Padiham) as well as also trucking electric cookers out of Belling in Enfield. Wouldn’t mind a pound for every night I spent in the lorry park ready for an early start! The Tesco store is where Mains Gas used to be, I haven’t been round that area for years but you say that Ikea stands where the truck park used to be.

Sorry I’m late with this one john.I used to park at Edmonton early 80s when I worked for snaylams of Bolton and subbyed for jeakins.We also loaded cookers and delivered all over.I remember the chippy and we did all the same drops,with only being 12mls from padiam we were always there.Happy days.

regards dave.

lespullan:
A few more Long Eaton, Nuneaton, Taunton great night Turks Head pub, and Southampton Juniper Berry pub, Worcester Dolphin pub, all good places for food and drink. Les.

I remember long eaton lorry park. It was down midland street, it was opposite the police station in front of Bartons bus depot and at the side of Philips petroleum depot. The ironic thing of it was, when I was born I lived on midland street in the railway houses, and then all the railway houses got knocked down in 1971/72 and it became the lorry park around 1973 and I was destined to work on the railway like the rest of the family but ended up being a lorry driver.
The lorry park got built on and it became a gateway superstore around 1985/86 but it started to sink around 1992/93 and when asda bought the store they bought everything on the street and knocked everything down and started again. The Philips petroleum site is now the rear car park and the store, the lorry park is now the carpark and the bus depot is now the petrol station.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, can anybody remind me where in Newark the lorry park used to be? In the mid 80s? Seem to remember parking in the town centre but I cant place it on Google maps!

Steevo:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, can anybody remind me where in Newark the lorry park used to be? In the mid 80s? Seem to remember parking in the town centre but I cant place it on Google maps!

By the river in front of the old cafe , also directly across the road in the old cattle market . Many a happy night spent there in the 80s , can’t remember the pub in town , grab a granny night was a cert .

Best lorry park was outside our house or Gleadless Townend Sheffield. :laughing:

No more parking in Hexham from March next yr :cry:

Chris Webb:
Best lorry park was outside our house or Gleadless Townend Sheffield. :laughing:

As long as you had cleared THAT border Chris eh?!

pete smith:

Chris Webb:

As long as you had cleared THAT border Chris eh?!

:laughing:
Aye Pete,mind you there were a lot of unofficial lorry parks in Manchester area,Ardwick Green,Belle Vue,Hyde,Mottram,Hollingworth and also official ones at Stockport and Hazel Grove. They covered a big area for log sheet/book accountancy :smiley: - from Lancaster int north to Ellesmere Port int Wirral plus Warrington and Widnes.
Just beware the silent checker. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Anyone remember the park at the bottom of Headrow in Leeds city centre behind the Tam o’Shanter pub. It was run by the British Legion. After a tour of the local pubs it was off to George’s fish and chip bar on (if I remember correctly) the 2nd floor around the back of Quarry Hill flats (where they filmed “Queenies Castle” with Diana Dors) for a fish supper. Mind you it wasn’t recommended to go there on your own! George made you a cup of tea whilst he was cooking your meal fresh. He used to do massive home made fish cakes.
Another favourite place of mine to park was the Old Deer Park NCP Park on the A316 at Richmond, London. A car park in the day and wagon park at night. Lots of furniture drivers from Christie Tyler and Rest Assured used to park there. There was a British Legion club right next to the park, a toilet block adjacent and Richmond public baths the other side of the road for a good soak in a private bath. The attractions of Richmond town centre were just the other side of Richmond Green and the Thames river bank was close by for a pleasant walk with riverside pubs. I used to frequent a great little cafe just up the road towards the roundabout serving the road to Kew Bridge and M4. It was run by a really nice Italian family and served excellent good value food.
When in Manchester, I used to park under the Mancunian Way off Oxford Road. It was usually full of drivers from Wiltshire firms like Syms of Calne etc. A good night out was assured in Tommy Ducks and other local pubs nearby. The only problem was you had to be gone fairly early next morning or you would be surrounded by cars.

By the river in front of the old cafe , also directly across the road in the old cattle market . Many a happy night spent there in the 80s , can’t remember the pub in town , grab a granny night was a cert .
[/quote]
Thanks Rigsby, any ideas what is there now so I can find it on Google maps? Apparently the cattle market used to be in Tolney Lane but I seem to remember being more in the town centre than that.