1960's &70's town centre lorry parks, where were they?

3300John

The lorry park in Edmonton was in Willoughby Lane, over the bridge and down the lane. There was a gatehouse that was manned by a man whose daughter often accompanied him logging the vehicles in. Opposite the gatehouse was the toilet/washroom in a portacabin type building. As well as the pub over the bridge there was also a good chippy that was run by a Greek or Turkish guy, sold great ribs ‘n’ chips! The Basildon company I worked for used to haul the cookers for Mains Gas next door and they had an arrangement to park their trailers in the lorry park. Used to take the cookers all over the country (often reloading in Mains Gas in Padiham) as well as also trucking electric cookers out of Belling in Enfield. Wouldn’t mind a pound for every night I spent in the lorry park ready for an early start! The Tesco store is where Mains Gas used to be, I haven’t been round that area for years but you say that Ikea stands where the truck park used to be.

Is the lorry park in Kirkaldy still on the seafront?

formertrucker:

Yes still there mate parked on it in the car Monday, still free parking, I suppose its still free for lorries, Lynx pub gone though, Les.

lespullan:

formertrucker:

Yes still there mate parked on it in the car Monday, still free parking, I suppose its still free for lorries, Lynx pub gone though, Les.

My first delivery in Scotland was in Kirkaldy back in 1975. Blundells, right next door to the Raith Rovers football ground. I parked on the seafront too. Are those swans still wandering about between the lorries?

ChrisArbon:

lespullan:

formertrucker:

My first delivery in Scotland was in Kirkaldy back in 1975. Blundells, right next door to the Raith Rovers football ground. I parked on the seafront too. Are those swans still wandering about between the lorries?

Didn’t see any Swans but [zb] seagulls I’d just given the car a good clean T cut and polish, they were sliding down the bonnet because they couldn’t grip, what a [zb] mess. Les.

lespullan:
A few more Long Eaton, Nuneaton, Taunton great night Turks Head pub, and Southampton Juniper Berry pub, Worcester Dolphin pub, all good places for food and drink. Les.

Taunton cattle market, Priory Bridge Road, just down the road from the Priory WM Club - my first experience of REAL scrumpy in days of yore - and the Juniper Berry, Southampton - now that’s another story altogether…

Steve

Ste46:

lespullan:
A few more Long Eaton, Nuneaton, Taunton great night Turks Head pub, and Southampton Juniper Berry pub, Worcester Dolphin pub, all good places for food and drink. Les.

Taunton cattle market, Priory Bridge Road, just down the road from the Priory WM Club - my first experience of REAL scrumpy in days of yore - and the Juniper Berry, Southampton - now that’s another story altogether…

Steve

Good crack in the Juniper Berry, perhaps crack’s the wrong word keep your back to the wall and if you drop owt leave it or kick it outside to pick it up, :laughing: Les

lespullan:

ChrisArbon:

lespullan:

formertrucker:

Didn’t see any Swans but [zb] seagulls I’d just given the car a good clean T cut and polish, they were sliding down the bonnet because they couldn’t grip, what a [zb] mess. Les.

Used to deliver sacks of cork dust from Crown Cork, Edmonton to Nairn Flooring in Kirkaldy. 'andball on, 'andball off! What a mess! Used to park up on the seafront after showering and changing in Nairn premises. Used to try to get a backload out of Wishart’s in Kirkaldy but all they had at the time was Europe bound, mainly Spain, and my transport manager didn’t want to send me that far!

Went to London with my father in a Mk3 Mandator the early 60’s. We ended parked up in Tooley St itself outside the digs - a huge building with a cage - like lift.
Dad said it was there or the Minories but we ended south of the river. Anybody remember the Minories, and where it was? I used Aldegate in the 70’s but never heard anything about the Minories, or Vallance rd either. Jim.

In Southampton I can remember 2:
One next to the new swimming bath down near dock gate 8, opposite Meachers yard. I used to gaze onto the muddy patch watching the trucks park up when I should have been swimming with the rest of my school class, 1967 ish. It’s where the DeVere Hotel and Carnival Cruises are now.

Mount Pleasant Road, over the gas works bridge and left towards Southern Television studios. Park on the road and the cafe/digs across the road on the corner.

jmc jnr:
Went to London with my father in a Mk3 Mandator the early 60’s. We ended parked up in Tooley St itself outside the digs - a huge building with a cage - like lift.
IIRC The nearest ones to The Minories would have been Goodmans Yard , & National Car park near the Royal Mint, Goodmans was free but The NCP one wasnt, Regards Larry.

Scotnat:
Potters Field Lorry Park. Tooley Street.
we used this park in the 70s regular
not great surface but handy for good cafe and pubs.

Hello all on Truknet, first time poster here!

I used go out with my dad in his lorry and he used to park here regularly back in the 70’s. The things I remember were going to the public toilets on Tooley street where we got a wash before going out for something to eat. One thing I think I recall correctly was a long hose pipe that was used as the next best thing to a shower! We used to eat in a café on Tooley Street, I seem to remember is was owned by a Greek or Turkish proprietor with fishing paraphernalia scattered around the room (not sure on this last point). The owner used to play the same three records on the juke box, one of them being KC and the Sunshine Bands ‘Queen of Clubs’ but I cannot recall the other two at present.

I my dad took me round the local area in the evening, taking in the Tower of London, old Royal mint building and going round St Katherine’s Dock if it was decent weather. My dad used to go for a pint in the Copper Kettle pub while I ‘guarded’ the wagon!

Canons Marsh Bristol a few minutes walk from the city centre. The Garricks Head was the nearest pub as long as you were carefull to keep your back to the wall.

Numbum:
Canons Marsh Bristol a few minutes walk from the city centre. The Garricks Head was the nearest pub as long as you were carefull to keep your back to the wall.

That pub got demolished late '70’s?
Wonder where all the “suspect” customers went then?

did anyone else frequent preston,anywhere between the security park,and the jail was lots of waste ground where all the houses were knocked down…i think the iron horse was my fav pub well within staggering distance from the chinkys and chippys,plus all the clubs and dancing.wall to wall ■■■■■ where the mums and daughters were out on the pull together.i had many a lost day there.a quick flash of the hgv and you were a 1 night member…sin city at its best.
wolverhampton was also a fav with similar parking…i think it was the pub called the blue balls where all the jack and danny frequented,with the more confident ones,had a number in chalk on the sole of their shoes as that was the price in pounds…the amature ones just had to be kept topped up with drink and that was the job done…i think the pub was named the blue balls because thats how yours would look 1 week later if you wernt careful with your choice of in cab entertainment. :smiley:

bournemouth next to the football ground.walk about 200yrds to the cafe.lovely in the summer
google.co.uk/maps/@50.73299 … 56!6m1!1e1

Purley Way, Croydon.

Cattle Market Bury st Edmunds was a place I used to park on a regular basis. good pubs and a good chippy. I overslept one morning and woke up to a lot of noise and clattering. It was market day and the stalls had started to set up around me :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:
did anyone else frequent preston,anywhere between the security park,and the jail was lots of waste ground where all the houses were knocked down…i think the iron horse was my fav pub well within staggering distance from the chinkys and chippys,plus all the clubs and dancing.wall to wall ■■■■■ where the mums and daughters were out on the pull together.i had many a lost day there.a quick flash of the hgv and you were a 1 night member…sin city at its best.
wolverhampton was also a fav with similar parking…i think it was the pub called the blue balls where all the jack and danny frequented,with the more confident ones,had a number in chalk on the sole of their shoes as that was the price in pounds…the amature ones just had to be kept topped up with drink and that was the job done…i think the pub was named the blue balls because thats how yours would look 1 week later if you wernt careful with your choice of in cab entertainment. :smiley:

Turk’s Head was it in Preston ?

There was a Turks Head in Taunton town centre.