London lorry parks in the 80 s

Vauxhall Bridge was where we would do a change over when I was on Towmaster Transport (Queenborough Kent) in the 70’s had a few good nights over the Queen Ann Pub (Strippers & Poofs) plenty of dodgy nights out at the Merry Chest on the A2 Good Days ■■■■ Matthew

Fergie47:
Malc

THAT’S IT MATE !!! well done that man, been thinking of the name since the first post !

The Ram, I wonder if it’s still there, if’ it’s still a pub, and still does B&B.

Thanks for that !!

Fergie

Hi Fergie,
Was still there in july 2010 ,a night club you can see the old name above the Ram’s Head in the photo.
You can see the Docklands railway built on stilts right close to the building.

Cheers Malc.

Suedehead:

kickstart:
and after a bath in the private baths in the baths opposite it was down the road to a cafe run by Italians for a good nosh,

Oo err :open_mouth:

The best breakfasts i always thought where made by the italians,the cafe near Heinz at Harlesden and another we always tried to get to was one in Peckham,cant remember names any more,but generally most italian cafes knew how to cook a good English breakfast.

Aye I used an Italian café on tooley st in the 70s and early 80s,always good grub and always busy.
regards dave.

kickstart Richmond lorry park you are right the café was called marries lovely people and the baths were spotless do you remember the addendant gay boy peter always kept the baths spotless good bloke as you say good pubs up the town orange tree was one ahas yousay always a deal going on istayed there dozens of times when I drove for catnic mixed grill in marries was lush regards rowly

South side of Woolwich ferry. All them pubs and a kebab, £1 to park up but you had to be on your toes for the thieves, allways check before leaving on a morning.then there was Hertford just up the A10 good night out there as well.

Catford wasn’t bad except for amulances and police sirens all night

dafdave:
Aye I used an Italian café on tooley st in the 70s and early 80s,always good grub and always busy.
regards dave.

Must have past you by somewhere Dave I was a regular user of Tooley Str & the Italians the copper etc, used the others as well Aldgate not often (parked too tight) Sheperds Bush I also used a lot somebody mentioned the rats at Vauxhall Bridge I think they were bigger under that railway carriage at the Bush. Entertaiment wise it was always good crack around the ramp & Bethnal green etc although it wasn`t bad around the Bush, Wellington Pub for the strippers Mecca bingo for Cheap Beer :smiley: :smiley:

Hiya …that lorry park off the north circular at Edmonton was Willoughby lane. i think it was the gas works at one time.
you walked past the footbal ground onto high st. quite a few good pubs… what was the name of the lorry park at the
bottom of Commercial street it was the square you went round then did a left up into commercial street.(Mansel street)
its a office block now. Tooley street yes we had a depot in Bermondsea (Croda) Silvertown yes. Woolich ferry yes… Becton yes
The Ship and Shovel on the service road at the side of the A13 Renwick way. their was a small Parking area at the top
of Checkers lane near Fords I think that replaced the other park that McDonalds built on opersite Fords. was the cafe towards
Rainham on the dual carridgway the Oak then another cafe at the end of the twin track you could park up if you was early.
then it was was Thurrock porta cabin in the middle of the parking area. Harris transport was close by and Leyland /Daf.
then Truck world was round the back near Proctor and Gamble…good old days
John

Colchester St, Aldgate rings a bell? Railway yard at Bishopsgate. Davis Turners place on the bridge -Queens Rd.

Stayed at Catford alot,used to do a fair bit of multi drop round london in my early years of driving so if any other drivers was down that way we would meet up kfc accross road and plenty of pubs for a drink or i would stay at George’s diner at silvertown the owner was a great bloke or the council lorry park at the blackwall tunnel

3300John:
Hiya …that lorry park off the north circular at Edmonton was Willoughby lane. i think it was the gas works at one time.
you walked past the footbal ground onto high st. quite a few good pubs… what was the name of the lorry park at the
bottom of Commercial street it was the square you went round then did a left up into commercial street.(Mansel street)
its a office block now. Tooley street yes we had a depot in Bermondsea (Croda) Silvertown yes. Woolich ferry yes… Becton yes
The Ship and Shovel on the service road at the side of the A13 Renwick way. their was a small Parking area at the top
of Checkers lane near Fords I think that replaced the other park that McDonalds built on opersite Fords. was the cafe towards
Rainham on the dual carridgway the Oak then another cafe at the end of the twin track you could park up if you was early.
then it was was Thurrock porta cabin in the middle of the parking area. Harris transport was close by and Leyland /Daf.
then Truck world was round the back near Proctor and Gamble…good old days
John

Hi john I think the café on the a13 was the four oaks were the guy used to park you up depending what time you were going next morning[similar to aldgate].the café at Thurrock was the cabin,then there was the noak on the a13 on the right before tilbury
regards dave.

greek:

dafdave:
regards dave.

Must have past you by somewhere Dave I was a regular user of Tooley Str & the Italians the copper etc, used the others as well Aldgate not often (parked too tight) Sheperds Bush I also used a lot somebody mentioned the rats at Vauxhall Bridge I think they were bigger under that railway carriage at the Bush. Entertaiment wise it was always good crack around the ramp & Bethnal green etc although it wasn`t bad around the Bush, Wellington Pub for the strippers Mecca bingo for Cheap Beer :smiley: :smiley:

Hi mate I used to work for snaylams of Bolton and was doing London every week,parked on tooley st regular had digs in the st johns tavern,used to frequent the shipwrights arms near the cop shop on tooley st also the copper,the anchor tap[remember that one,down the side st at back of the copper right at the side of the courage brewery].also went in the kings arms.When I was round Bethnal green a gang of us used to watch the exotic dancers in the greengate,and numerous others I cant remember.The one that does spring to mind is the van tromp remember slack alice.I must have seen you somewere as I also stopped at shepards bush when it was the railway carridge.Do you remember georges at silvertown? used to be good grub but only a small parking area,better than the silvertown motel
happy days eh different job today,glad im retired.
regards dave.

davepenn54:

dafdave:
ha ha yer right there,remember goin up bethnal green rd watchin the girls in the pubs,2 come to mind,the van tromp[spelling] and thje greengate,happy days.
regards dave.

Thanks for jogging my ole memory I couldn’t remember those pub names for the life of me :laughing: :blush: If I recall rightly the Greengate also used have a very ‘blue’ comedian/compere who worked the crowd and he went on to be on the telly, adverts, and I’m sure he was in one or two series that were on in the 70’s/80’s Can’t remember his name? does this ring any bells for anyone?
Regards
Dave Penn;

i remember a comedian around that time that got on the tele, RAY MARTEEN, was gay and very blue

alan

dafdave:

3300John:
Hi john I think the café on the a13 was the four oaks were the guy used to park you up depending what time you were going next morning[similar to aldgate].the café at Thurrock was the cabin,then there was the noak on the a13 on the right before tilbury
regards dave.

Hiya Dave yes Noak,s cafe, their was a motorhome place next door at one time i think we picked up our return load notes
from a cabin at the back of their at one time.
John

used Aldgate when it was a patch of rough ground with a lake in the middle (big puddle),if you could find somewhere to park then into the brown bear leman st, early morning it was like a gas attack on the somme with all them Gardners starting up, a decent cafe was behind montaqe myres timber on millwall dock through a hole in the fence it was green shed good grub,another was a green and white place just before the cambridge pub island on the a10 after you came down through cockfosters in a row o shops on the right run by italians?

3300John:

dafdave:

3300John:
regards dave.

Hiya Dave yes Noak,s cafe, their was a motorhome place next door at one time i think we picked up our return load notes
from a cabin at the back of their at one time.
John

You are right john ive picked notes up there myself,think the firm was djv?.First night out I had in 1970 was at the noak,should have been meeting another driver at thames board mills which I did but it was late in the day and he was in the four oaks so met him next morning when we loaded at tilbury,happy days gone for ever.
regards dave.

Gotta have crossed paths Dave DJV he used to subbie it off someone else then subbie it out to others used them for yrs. Mainly dealt with Kieth for North East Work. When on for Gallacher did not use them that often but one day went into DJV`s office in Portbury & had not seen kieth for yrs he was working over there. Al in the 30yr I had on flat general work I sorta grew up with him.
12yrs on Collinson Bros (Chopwell )mostly south east work & the 9 yrs I had at GE Armstrong did quite a lot of south east work as well.

greek:
Gotta have crossed paths Dave DJV he used to subbie it off someone else then subbie it out to others used them for yrs. Mainly dealt with Kieth for North East Work. When on for Gallacher did not use them that often but one day went into DJV`s office in Portbury & had not seen kieth for yrs he was working over there. Al in the 30yr I had on flat general work I sorta grew up with him.
12yrs on Collinson Bros (Chopwell )mostly south east work & the 9 yrs I had at GE Armstrong did quite a lot of south east work as well.

I had 10yrs with snaylams of Bolton when you had to find your own backloads,by the time djv had finished shunting loads around it was hardly worth the effort We used to mainly load reels of kraft paper off Sammy Williams at Dagenham docks ,timber out of 44 berth tilbury or reels and pulp off hipwood and grundy at 42 berth tilbury
regards dave.

Round the corner from The Ramp, remember the waste ground in Sclater St. Coming back from the pub once bought a leather jacket at 11 pm from the back door of a shop in Brick Lane. Also many a night parked at the cafe on top of Blackwell Tunnel S/B, think it was the old gas works offices, where the Dome is now.