13 foot unit and 13 foot bridge!

bobbya:
Why not give it a go at the Blackwall tunnel northbound 13 foot,you will definitely get pushed up the ramp anď given a nice little penalty to go with it.

No you wont. I run at 13ft and use the tunnel often.

msgyorkie:

bobbya:
Why not give it a go at the Blackwall tunnel northbound 13 foot,you will definitely get pushed up the ramp anď given a nice little penalty to go with it.

Obviously need to have a measure up then.

Threads like these are very troubling.

bobbya:

msgyorkie:

bobbya:

Obviously need to have a measure up then.

I have done. I have a HIAB and that is the tallest part of the vehicle when empty. 13ft.

Theres legally 1% of tolerance in the heights, plus whatever else they want to give you.

Most/all 4m euro spec trailers are factory built at 4.03m/4.04m.

buses:

bobbya:

Funny you say that.

I went threw Blackwell tunnel with a artic 13ft scania R450.

The Arial was tapping away.But No problems.
Oh you have to signal right to use 2nd lane for bends and watch the Poles in the air :smiley:

Bloody Poles. Coming over here taking our air…

knight2:
There should be clearance, I would go under. I’ve taken a 14’ 6’’ trailer under a 14’ 3’’ bridge but I knew before hand it would go under. the bridge slopes slightly from right to left the 14’ 3’’ was the lowest point, with the suspension lowered and driving on the wrong side of the road it would go under and save a long detour.

LHoist near Buxton?

Given how many times that bridge has been clobbered, I really don’t understand why they don’t insist on standard containers, high cubes aren’t necessary for the gear they load. Drivers should have been refusing it long ago really, the alternative route isn’t really suitable for a fully freighted artic, especially if it’s wet.

Andrejs:
Yo vivo de un portacoches | Cuidado con los puentes 😳😳 | Facebook

best quote goes to Fedarico

With a little polish it fixes, total is a few scratches

I took a 14.6 load under a 14.6 bridge today.
There was about a foot clearance…although I did rip the nets down,that keep the pidgeons out.
Pigeons looked well chuffed.

rob22888:

knight2:
There should be clearance, I would go under. I’ve taken a 14’ 6’’ trailer under a 14’ 3’’ bridge but I knew before hand it would go under. the bridge slopes slightly from right to left the 14’ 3’’ was the lowest point, with the suspension lowered and driving on the wrong side of the road it would go under and save a long detour.

LHoist near Buxton?

Given how many times that bridge has been clobbered, I really don’t understand why they don’t insist on standard containers, high cubes aren’t necessary for the gear they load. Drivers should have been refusing it long ago really, the alternative route isn’t really suitable for a fully freighted artic, especially if it’s wet.

If we ran proper trailers it wouldnt be a problem. Highcube @ 4m is perfectly normal in europe. Never understood why us brits what to stick them as high as possible just because we can.

rob22888:

knight2:

LHoist near Buxton?

Spot on Rob, that was a WAI without the photo. I haven’t tried the alternative route but one of our drivers did and said never again. I couldn’t work out why they used HQ’s either. Their sites a pain in the but as well, that right hand turn after the weighbridge up the hill, my DAF didn’t want to go up there , no grip what so ever.

Today i took a 16ft trailer under an unmarket arched bridge assuming it was above the limit for signage. Got under fine but on the way back there was a very old rusty brown sign saying 15’3". As id already been under i proceded and checked the whole way on the other side to see if i had missed anything. Im assuming its an old remnent from before the bridge was either raised or the road lowered. Either way bradford council owes me some new boxers.

Jwalsh8:
Today i took a 16ft trailer under an unmarket arched bridge assuming it was above the limit for signage. Got under fine but on the way back there was a very old rusty brown sign saying 15’3". As id already been under i proceded and checked the whole way on the other side to see if i had missed anything. Im assuming its an old remnent from before the bridge was either raised or the road lowered. Either way bradford council owes me some new boxers.

Bowling Back Lane?

axletramp:

Jwalsh8:

Bowling Back Lane?

Yeh. Just had a walk back and im just wondering if it arched down more on that side? I was right in the middle just incase but its a triangle sign too with no goal posts which is wierd.

Hi, if you go under the yellow painted metals at the start of the n/bound Blackwall,don’t worry about the danglers in the pipe, they are painted plastic hoses. I worked there for years.

I’d go under but do so slowly with the radio turned off.

Used to mark trailers up with there heights, we always banged on an extra 2 or 3 inches.

I have not scrolled through all these posts but the law in the UK has always been the bridge or obstacle must be at least 3 inches over the posted height.

Pat Hasler:
I have not scrolled through all these posts but the law in the UK has always been the bridge or obstacle must be at least 3 inches over the posted height.

There is no such law.

There is an official Traffic Signs Manual, but that only gives guidance to local authorities etc.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Concretejim:

rob22888:

knight2:

LHoist near Buxton?

If we ran proper trailers it wouldnt be a problem. Highcube @ 4m is perfectly normal in europe. Never understood why us brits what to stick them as high as possible just because we can.

Good to see im not the only one to see it that way. Banning ridiculous 16ft plus double deckers would be a good start in eradicating the bridge demolition that seems rife in the UK. Granted it wont stop it completely but would be a step in the right direction. With the availability of low ride suspension/fifth wheels without chassis plates, low profile tyres ect there is absolutely no need for stupidly tall trailers. Another downside has to be the big knock in fuel consumption with aerodynamics being out the window…