If u're 13'10 or 13'11, would you risk going under a 14'0?

Just wondering what the general consensus is on bridge heights.

I’ve never really had to worry too much about them before because I’ve never really driven anything on a regular basis which was higher than 14’ roughly (rigids).

But, whenever I see a bridge height warning I’ll always shave 3 inches off before allowing myself through, so for example with a truck 13’7, 13’8, or 13’9 high I wouldn’t go near anything under 14’. (I’d avoid any 13’9 marked bridges)

Perhaps I’m being overly cautious, but I hate taking risks of any kind. Sometimes I’ve been tempted to go under a few 13’9s to save time, trying to convince myself that they’d probably leave some leeway in the measurement anyway :question: … but I’ve never had the gall to do it, always ended up re-routing myself a longer way. What do you guys all do as a general rule of thumb with your heights?

Ta

dump all the air, foot to the floor and duck. The dynamics are that the faster you go, the lower you are…

…errrrr no wait, i think that only applies to ships or something

I don’t go under anything less than 3 inches higher than the height shown on the trailer. Like you I err on the side of caution. In the case of Grantham I only go under the 16’ bridge.

waddy640:
I don’t go under anything less than 3 inches higher than the height shown on the trailer. Like you I err on the side of caution. In the case of Grantham I only go under the 16’ bridge.

Seriously??

Yes I would .

Yes, you can measure 5th wheel heights very easily, and the trailer should tell you height based on a fifth wheel height of xxxxmm, normally 1250ish.

With a Scania, if you’ve got the lift axle up, that adds a few inches, but even then, if I was 13’9 and had the lift axle up, I’d still go under a 14’ bridge without thinking about it.

Own Account Driver:

waddy640:

Seriously??

Yes.

I’ve been under a 3.1 metre bridge with a 4 metre trailer. :wink:

Harry Monk:
I’ve been under a 3.1 metre bridge with a 4 metre trailer. :wink:

Now that’s brave!!
I’ve done 3.9m with a 4.05 fridge, and transited Swiss with a 4.1m Box!

High cube containers as a rule of thumb normally run at 14’6 (ours run at 14’4 after a quick measurement and discussion with the gaffer) but I digress.

We ran high cube containers into Viridor at Crayford. I had to stop in the road out front and ring in just to clarify they required a 9’6 box… I should point out that the bridge is marked up at 13’9 and I still had acres of room to spare!

COOKiEEES!!:

I’ve never really had to worry too much about them before because I’ve never really driven anything on a regular basis which was higher than 14’ roughly (rigids).

But, whenever I see a bridge height warning I’ll always shave 3 inches off before allowing myself through, so for example with a truck 13’7, 13’8, or 13’9 high I wouldn’t go near anything under 14’. (I’d avoid any 13’9 marked bridges)

Perhaps I’m being overly cautious, but I hate taking risks of any kind. Sometimes I’ve been tempted to go under a few 13’9s to save time, trying to convince myself that they’d probably leave some leeway in the measurement anyway :question: … but I’ve never had the gall to do it, always ended up re-routing myself a longer way. What do you guys all do as a general rule of thumb with your heights?

Ta

I don’t have a rule of thumb - If the bridge says 13’ 9" and my trailer is 13’ 9" I’m going under - End of

If I didn’t I can’t imagine the detours that I would have to take. Bridges are clearly marked so why would they put a sign on that was incorrect. - Oh and if they did that’s not your problem either.

That new Phillips bridge height map has them all marked 3" lower than they are. Follow their advice and you will never hit a bridge .

eric the judge:
That new Phillips bridge height map has them all marked 3" lower than they are. Follow their advice and you will never hit a bridge .

That’s bloody daft.

A) will cause extra mileage for no reason
B) will prevent you actually getting to some drops

eric the judge:

Not quite all of them, one shown as 14’6" is still 14’6" or it was last Monday. It all leads to confusion and defeats the object of the atlas.

COOKiEEES!!:

Ta

why would it be a risk?

If i have a 14’1 trailer i dont go under bridges under 14’1 is this too simple?

merc0447:

But a 14’1 truck should go under a 14’1 bridge no probs, as the height sign on the bridge is the height of the highest vehicle that can safely pass under the bridge, not the height of the bridge

I remember a driving instructor I was talking to
once said shave 3 inches off as you never know if
its been measured wrong or had new tarmac laid
and not altered the height.

It looks like someone started a 3 inches rumour :slight_smile:

waynedl:

merc0447:

But a 14’1 truck should go under a 14’1 bridge no probs, as the height sign on the bridge is the height of the highest vehicle that can safely pass under the bridge, not the height of the bridge

Then explain why a bridge is 14’3" one day of the week and the following day it is 14’0" without any alteration being made.

convoy:
I remember a driving instructor I was talking to
once said shave 3 inches off as you never know if
its been measured wrong or had new tarmac laid
and not altered the height.

It looks like someone started a 3 inches rumour :slight_smile:

But none of that is really your problem, if you’re 14’ and the bridge clearance is 14’ and you hit it, that’s the council that’s going to be paying dearly!!