Last night me and a few drivers where chatting
and a stobart driver bought up bridge heights at
one of his drops. He said a place they go to is the
other side of a 14’ 6 bridge and the trailers they take
are 14’ 6 he goes on to say that some drivers at his
depot are lazy and say they cannot go as the bridge
and trailer are the same height but he says the 14 ’ 6
is the trailer height and not the bridge height meaning
it will go under. so my question is what’s your take on it?

A) The 14’ 6 is the bridge height so a 14 '6 trailer wont go under

or

B) Its the trailer height meaning a 14 ’ 6 trailer can go under safely

It’s the headroom, so a 14’ 6" trailer will pass beneath a 14’ 6" bridge.

Can be either, triangular signs saying 14’ 6" warn of a headroom of 14’ 6", round signs saying 14’ 6" instruct that 14’6" is the maximum safe height to proceed.

Harry Monk:
It’s the headroom, so a 14’ 6" trailer will pass beneath a 14’ 6" bridge.

Wouldn’t a 14’ 6" trailer be the same height as a bridge with 14’ 6" headroom.

If its in a circle sign its no vehicles over this hieght may proceed (even if you clear it you can be prosecuted if your taller)
If its a triangle its minimum safe clearance (try a taller trailer by all means but your fubarred if you hit the bridge)
Circlular signs must be obayed (e.g. speed limits) triangles are warning (e.g. Sharp turn)
To sum up your question yes a 14’6" lorry can physically and legally pass under a 14’6" bridge showing either sign.

I’m guessing! Is it the Sproughton road bridge before the circle for Coop Ipswich? We were told that Suffolk Police warned Stobart about pulling 14’6 trailers under there!
That was in daylight hours by the way! And the bridge sign is a triangle! :wink:

cerbrious:
If its in a circle sign its no vehicles over this hieght may proceed (even if you clear it you can be prosecuted if your taller)
If its a triangle its minimum safe clearance (try a taller trailer by all means but your fubarred if you hit the bridge)
Circlular signs must be obayed (e.g. speed limits) triangles are warning (e.g. Sharp turn)
To sum up your question yes a 14’6" lorry can physically and legally pass under a 14’6" bridge showing either sign.

cerbrious:

The stobart driver said someone got caught by a
cop letting down the air suspension and they apparently
made him stay there to the morning as it was busy then
he still could not go under

dessy:
I’m guessing! Is it the Sproughton road bridge before the circle for Coop Ipswich? We were told that Suffolk Police warned Stobart about pulling 14’6 trailers under there!
That was in daylight hours by the way! And the bridge sign is a triangle! :wink:

yes

Must have been an old Irlams trailer! They were 14’11 and won’t go under! Are Stobbies still pulling loads out of Purina at Sudbury? That’s where the tall trailers were heading for after I used to tip at Coop Ipswich! :slight_smile:

at the end of the day would anyone go under a bridge the same height as the trailer… not me

convoy:

or

I used to wonder how Stobart drivers managed to sleep by day or night in noisy places like the wide load road in the roundabout at A13 Purfleet.
Answer: they don’t :smiley: :smiley: They stay awake worrying about things like this! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Reaper KH:
at the end of the day would anyone go under a bridge the same height as the trailer… not me

More times than I care to remember. If I’ve got a 13’ 3" trailer on, I’ll go under a 13’ 3" bridge.

Harry Monk:

Reaper KH:

More times than I care to remember. If I’ve got a 13’ 3" trailer on, I’ll go under a 13’ 3" bridge.

is it a case of shut your eyes and squeeze those ■■■■ cheeks tightly :smiley:

roadhog69:

convoy:

or

I used to wonder how Stobart drivers managed to sleep by day or night in noisy places like the wide load road in the roundabout at A13 Purfleet.
Answer: they don’t :smiley: :smiley: They stay awake worrying about things like this! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

now see what you have done convoy…if you just said “a” driver instead of a “stobart” driver,we wouldnt have got a pointless comment like this :open_mouth:

Harry Monk:

Reaper KH:

i’d go with this.
surely if the bridge is posted, say, 13’3 then the maximum safe height to pass under is 13’3

Harry Monk:

Reaper KH:

Yup, thats me too…Especially in Grantham :sunglasses:

on the subject of bridges what about that one between j17 m4 and malmesbury . i used to take 8ft boxes under ok but go the other way via j16 if i had a hicube . some guys swore blind they used to go under with 9ft6ins boxes. IIRC the road dips down as you go under. another one that was awkward was edwin shirley trucking in carpenters rd at stratford with a low bridge at each end but you could squeeze under the one at the north end of the road that was marked 13ft3ins or less. shirleys own trucks were only 4m for euro work so they were alright

We load spud boxes out of HK timbers at Gainsborough,Now im 14ft loaded and there is a 14ft bridge just on the edge of the town, I can get under easy with at least 8inch to spare :confused: ,I have got out and checked,but jeez I still grit my teeth every time I go under. :grimacing: It looks closer in the mirrors.

Be careful if the Tarmac is new! They do tend to relay higher and not bother to replace the sign! Also try and hit the crown on the road right. We have done jobs where we have taken beacons off machines, dropped air and even taken plenty of tyres and tracked the machine under minus the trailer!

dessy:

Whoever told you that is talking crap dessy! we go to Billingtons for sugar (under the bridge to the roundabout, turn left and follow to the end, not right to co-op) we have 4 or 5 lorries go in there everyday, obviously the teardrop trailers(15’3" :unamused: ) have to go via the town, but the 14’6" trailers go under the bridge easily. They have been going under the bridge for a good few years and no problems with 14’6" trailers, Police or otherwise. Ive got a cb ariel on the roof of my XL Globetrotter and it doesnt hit the bottom of the bridge.
So anyone running at 14’6" you will have no problems getting under!