Fault on DAF 7.5 tonner

Mainly happens when its raining BUT its happened when its been damp . Driving along no warning lights showing then after going through a pool of water at the side of the road that you can’t avoid because of on coming traffic red ENGINE stop light comes on & low emissions light comes on. No power only walking pace. I’ve been able to crawl to a safe place to stop. After waiting about 30 mins starts it again engine warning light goes out BUT emissions light stays on & power returns. Then the emissions light does go out in the end. Our fitters have tried to find the problem BUT doesn’t show any fault. I’ve heard since that it happened to other DAF’s have you had this problem if so what was it. Its a dam pain because its happened several times now & I’m getting to the stage I can’t trust it anymore.
Tonight I thought I’d got it worked out, it had been raining but only slightly…pulled into yard drove round to the wash stopped it BUT had gone to far forward went to restart it engine light came on. Went to tell fitters, got back to truck & the zb started!!!. So waste of time no fault to show up. Plan B came into washed it… jet wash & truck wash … still the zb started!!!..HELP!!!

sounds like the seal around the fuse box cover under the grill could do with looking at

i had it on an 02 plate CF, if it was absolutely hammering it down, it would do similar symptoms, obviously not the emissions light though, as it was e3

water was getting in the back of it and playing havoc with it, if you lift the grille, then look on the passenger side, there is a largeish black cover with a ‘no jet washing’ symbol on it, if you remove that, it goes straight in to the back of the fuse box

Bet that wouldnt happen on a scania.

Saaamon:
Bet that wouldnt happen on a scania.

You’re right the fault would be much more expensive and complex on a Scania !

Thanks for the replies I will put that to them in the morning. Your dam right it wouldn’t happen to a Scania. Drove a Scania Rigid for Corby Chilled for about 10yrs no problems…forgot only a blown turbo in an “N” reg rigid on the M42. Then Scanny artic’s for 7yrs BUT sadly made redundant last year forgot its 2013 now I have Actros & DAF problem’s. Please can I have a Scanny again. Oh must say for nearly a year no problems with the Volvo’s of Innov@te. Better point out I never used the jet wash on the front end only under the wheel arch & around where I thought the water would have splashed up.

Spanky is spot on, open up the fusebox and spray with wd40 as a short fix. If when you get a red engine warning you come to a slow stop like me in the middle of the forth road bridge and its not safe to get out the quick fix again is foot on the brake and drain the tanks you then get a red warning on air this takes away the engine red warning oddly. Build up air and your away with people around thinking what the ■■■■.

My old 51 plate daf had loads of quirks, like being able to open it with my house key :laughing:

Arfa:
Mainly happens when its raining BUT its happened when its been damp . Driving along no warning lights showing then after going through a pool of water at the side of the road that you can’t avoid because of on coming traffic red ENGINE stop light comes on & low emissions light comes on. No power only walking pace. I’ve been able to crawl to a safe place to stop. After waiting about 30 mins starts it again engine warning light goes out BUT emissions light stays on & power returns. Then the emissions light does go out in the end. Our fitters have tried to find the problem BUT doesn’t show any fault. I’ve heard since that it happened to other DAF’s have you had this problem if so what was it. Its a dam pain because its happened several times now & I’m getting to the stage I can’t trust it anymore.
Tonight I thought I’d got it worked out, it had been raining but only slightly…pulled into yard drove round to the wash stopped it BUT had gone to far forward went to restart it engine light came on. Went to tell fitters, got back to truck & the zb started!!!. So waste of time no fault to show up. Plan B came into washed it… jet wash & truck wash … still the zb started!!!..HELP!!!

On the Scania P280 at my place of work we seem to be having a problem. All of them seem to be showing warning signs saying low emissions, Engine malfunction and reduced speed. Now all i have to do to clear the dash and reset it is switch the engine off and leave it like that for 15 seconds. Turn the key and get all the lights on the dash and leave it again for 15 seconds. Repeat it two more times then start her up and it should reset itself.

It get’s on my ■■■■ :smiley:

It only happens when it is damp and mild in the air

Thanks Spanky, merc0447, trev_H , saaman for your kind replies…sorry I’m laughing at opening it with your house key :unamused: :smiley: . Its Trucknet to the rescue again.

mickyblue:

Arfa:

On the Scania P280 at my place of work we seem to be having a problem. All of them seem to be showing warning signs saying low emissions, Engine malfunction and reduced speed. Now all i have to do to clear the dash and reset it is switch the engine off and leave it like that for 15 seconds. Turn the key and get all the lights on the dash and leave it again for 15 seconds. Repeat it two more times then start her up and it should reset itself.

It get’s on my ■■■■ :smiley:

My p360 does exactly the same thing most mornings

The warning light is showing a high NOx content in the gas stream.Would check the water is not getting into the NOx sensor probe wiring where it screws into the SCR cat.If the probe is shorted to ground it will go into limp mode but when the water evaporates after a few minutes due to the heating of the cat/silencer unit the light will extinguish and the ECU will drop the limp mode and go back to full injection flow.

i work for dhl under the nhs contract and we have daf lf 220 engines , we have had loads of trouble with the emissions lights coming on , daf say its because we do lots of short journeys causing some problem to do with the ad blu not being burned off due to low exhaust temperatures in the part of the exhaust the ad blu is injected. we have also had 2 engines replaced due to this problem but unfortunatly i dont know the full story about that . although what i do know is that heat wrapping from the turbo to the silencer where the ad blu is injected has cured the problem on some of them as it has raised the exhaust temps causing the ad blu system to function correctly .

i think your problem could be near the same as when its raining and you driving thru puddles the water is cooling the exhaust silencer where the ad blu is injected causing the ad blu system not to function correctly thus throwing up the eml/emissions light.

hope this might have helped

al

bking & al_p & the rest thanks for your comments, I will print them off & give the to the workshop. They have had it in again today because I was on the dcpc course so didn’t need it. Look out for the next instalment when it rains again for an update. Anybody on the A47, A46 & A1 southbound tomorrow see a 7.5tonner going slow it could be me. :smiley:

water getting into the eng ecu wiring/plugs . as the eng ecu is bolted to the n/s engine block
check the rubber mounts that hold the ecu to the eng block because if the rubber mounts are worn , it starts to wear the ecu itself

I reckon he’s been looking for the “go faster” fuse and forgot to put the lid back on properly.

what bking says kinda links as it could be ad blu not water shorting the sensor to ground at a guess:?

Keep getting the MIL warning light coming on on our little DAF, so it seems a possibly problematic system, though not sure the problem is connected with water. It, thankfully, usually takes a while for the engine to be derated but the one time it didn’t was embarrassing to say the least, seeing as it only has 150bhp to start with.

We have about 150 DAFs in our fleet now, and I’d bet that most, if not all of them, have had some major issue since being delivered over the last 18 months…bring on the freezing mornings I say, when they all freeze up again! Cannock depot had all theirs delivered over a weekend…drivers were called in for some training on 'em and they were ready to roll Monday morning…one didn’t even make the yard gate before calling it a day! When available, we run around on Bio-diesel…our 61plate CF doesn’t like that and is always asking for its fuel filter to be drained. Makes me glad I drive a 54 plate 420 Scania with a dodgy seat!

Saaamon:
I reckon he’s been looking for the “go faster” fuse and forgot to put the lid back on properly.

Who me…never. :wink: :laughing:

I must say a big thank you to everybody for your help I have passed all the replies to big Brother who’s our fleet engineer/manager. I’ve connected this with water because I can’t remember a dry day lately. Well thanks again.

maybe the bit of tape they wrap round the wires has fallen off like it does on mine :smiley: