Atkinson - Aki, Atki, or Atky!

This is starting to do my head in now, everytime I read an article on an Atkinson the shortened term is spelt a different way, so I end up saying it as I read it. As far as I’ve known it the nickname for an Atkinson has always been an Aki or even Big Aki on occasions. Current magazines Editors however have felt the need to add the silent T so it reads Atki (AT kee). This is irritating as I find myself pronouncng it as At kee when reading articles. We all know there is a T between the A and K but it was always silent unless the full name was used, at least all the years I’ve heard or said it.
Now it seems the latest spelling is Atky with a flaming Y. Who makes up this tosh so we all end up reading incorrect terms. Susie as Suzie is another of my hates but that’s for another time. Okay its what might seem a small and unimportant issue but does anybody else find this sort of thing annoying, if not is it okay to call Mercedes, Merks, Scania a Skanya and Leyland a Layland, probably not. Not everyone is top of the class with their spelling but you expect magazines to get it right. Oh well I’m off to read my book on SedAk’s, sorry SedAtky’s!
Franky.

This puzzles me too, so I just refer to the vehicles of Atkinson as nasty pieces of junk, makes it so much simpler :laughing:

I found it confusing too, its so easier just to call them plastic sheds :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing:

Well I always called them Atky’s or Sed Aks myself, but then I can only really spell FODEN! :wink:

Pete.

windrush:
Well I always called them Atky’s or Sed Aks myself, but then I can only really spell FODEN! :wink:

Pete.

How about PODEN :open_mouth: :laughing: :wink:

Frankydobo:
Now it seems the latest spelling is Atky with a flaming Y. Who makes up this tosh so we all end up reading incorrect terms. Susie as Suzie is another of my hates but that’s for another time.

That’s a Bob Tuck thing. At the factory, and in the local area, it was always “Atki”.

ATKINSON…And The Occassional ATKI.

Atkinson are classic iconic British Lorries,and I always try to refer to them in a reverential way,and the
correct way:ATKINSON. With just the occassional “Atki” …if you must use this nickname,please spell it
with the actual first four letters of the actual Atkinson marque name:A T K I :slight_smile:

What I don’t like is the incorrect and slipshod ways that some people use to refer to the Mercedes-Benz
and Rolls- Royce motor vehicle marques:- Mercedes :unamused: and Rolls :unamused: There has never been a Rolls
motor vehicle marque,and the last examples of the Mercedes marque were made in 1926 :slight_smile:

I could go on,but I’ll leave it …for now :slight_smile:

VALKYRIE.

8LXBV8BRIAN:

windrush:

Pete.

How about PODEN :open_mouth: :laughing: :wink:

That’s what they were badged in Portugal. Apparently, Foden means something unrelated to lorries there.

Being a bit pedantic here are nt we. Atki where I worked,Aki for those who could nt be bothered to pronounce the T, Scania or Scani and as for Leyland how else would you pronounce it. Mercedes or Mercs and Rollers, common practice unless you are a member of the Pink Gin set, amusing eh. Crow.

geoffthecrowtaylor:
Being a bit pedantic here are nt we. Atki where I worked,Aki for those who could nt be bothered to pronounce the T, Scania or Scani and as for Leyland how else would you pronounce it. Mercedes or Mercs and Rollers, common practice unless you are a member of the Pink Gin set, amusing eh. Crow.

ATKINSON or Atki the rest is just wrong :laughing: :laughing:
and as for the oldam thing —/AK. :blush: :cry: :angry:

Got to be with a T…Atki

Hi, All,

Do we have an Atkinson “historian” on this thread?
I have seen and driven a few of the cab versions that Atkinson produced, but today whilst glancing through a new book in one of our larger bookstores. I came across a picture of a 4x2 Atkinson unit at the 1964 Earls Court show that was fitted with a "Clearview " cab. No. not the Viewline cab, “Clearview”.

This is a new one to me , has any one any info or photo’s . It wasn’t a bad looking cab for the period , did it go into production or was it experimental?

Cheers Bassman

Atkinson Bodyline,Viewline ,Guardsman Cabs,Etc.

Bassman:
Hi, All,

I have seen and driven a few of the cab versions that Atkinson produced, but today whilst glancing through a new book in one of our larger bookstores. I came across a picture of a 4x2 Atkinson unit at the 1964 Earls Court show that was fitted with a "Clearview " cab. No. not the Viewline cab, “Clearview”.

This is a new one to me , has any one any info or photo’s . It wasn’t a bad looking cab for the period , did it go into production or was it experimental?

Cheers Bassman

Hello. 240 Gardner is the Atkinson Historian,and I shall be very interested in his comments on the “Clearview” Cab. I cannot remember coming across this cab before…it’s a new one on me too.
However,are you sure that the author of the book that you were browsing though is correct in naming the cab (whatever it is) “Clearview”? What is the title of this book? And the name of the author? Please.
Is it this book?:-
google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt … g&dur=1562

Or this book?:-
amazon.co.uk/British-Lorries … 1845842111

amazon.co.uk/British-Lorries … pd_sim_b_4

The Atkinson Bodyline Cab:-
flickr.com/photos/63211677@N … 821406@N24

The Atkinson Viewline Cab:-
flickr.com/photos/16693939@N07/7718764226/

The Atkinson Guardsman Cab-Model:-
google.com/imgres?q=ATKINSON … x=82&ty=67

Now then.Was the cab on this one-off Guardsman 4x2 Tractive Unit model called the Clearview? - it didn’t have a central pillar in the middle of the windscreen.It was a one-piece windscreen,hence the Clearview name.

And hear is an export Atkiinson 6x2 lorry which has similar cab to the Guardsman’s cab - but it wasn’t a Guardsman cab:It was a locallly built South African cab:-
flickr.com/photos/39624596@N02/6930296688/

VALKYRIE.

Surprised at some of the answers, must be a local term to Northeast area calling them Aki’s, as we certainly didn’t include the T, mind you we do have some words and sayings nobody else can understand nevermind say. Always be an Aki to me though! Sure I’ve seen a pic of the Atkinson Clearview, they also done a model known as the Bodyline, it had the usual cab but a different grille without the external rad, they also did a Viewline with a plainer grille too.
Franky.

Up at the factory it was generally Sedd Atki.

Shakin’ shed, piece of crap, seddon akki.

VALKYRIE:

Bassman:
Hi, All,

Cheers Bassman

Hello. 240 Gardner is the Atkinson Historian,and I shall be very interested in his comments on the “Clearview” Cab. I cannot remember coming across this cab before…it’s a new one on me too.
However,are you sure that the author of the book that you were browsing though is correct in naming the cab (whatever it is) “Clearview”? What is the title of this book? And the name of the author? Please.
Is it this book?:-
google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt … g&dur=1562

amazon.co.uk/British-Lorries … 1845842111

The Atkinson Bodyline Cab:-
flickr.com/photos/63211677@N … 821406@N24

The Atkinson Viewline Cab:-
flickr.com/photos/16693939@N07/7718764226/

The Atkinson Guardsman Cab-Model:-
google.com/imgres?q=ATKINSON … x=82&ty=67

Now then.Was the cab on this one-off Guardsman 4x2 Tractive Unit model called the Clearview? - it didn’t have a central pillar in the middle of the windscreen.It was a one-piece windscreen,hence the Clearview name.

And hear is an export Atkiinson 6x2 lorry which has similar cab to the Guardsman’s cab - but it wasn’t a Guardsman cab:It was a locallly built South African cab:-
flickr.com/photos/39624596@N02/6930296688/

VALKYRIE.

Further to my above second post on this Atkinson thread,I’ve been doing some reconnaissance work on the Internet searching for intelligence (in RAF and USAAF- speak) on references to the Atkinson “Clearview” Cab. :slight_smile:
I’ve come up with one reference to the Clearview name - the photographer must have read the same book as you,Bassman :slight_smile: …:-

flickr.com/photos/wyliefox/7723748536/

However,the almost universal name for this cab model is Viewline :slight_smile: :-

flickrhivemind.net/Tags/viewline

VALKYRIE.

Frankydobo:
Surprised at some of the answers, must be a local term to Northeast area calling them Aki’s, as we certainly didn’t include the T, mind you we do have some words and sayings nobody else can understand nevermind say. Always be an Aki to me though! Sure I’ve seen a pic of the Atkinson Clearview, they also done a model known as the Bodyline, it had the usual cab but a different grille without the external rad, they also did a Viewline with a plainer grille too.
Franky.

The 1964 Show saw the ‘Guardsman’ cab, supplied with a 235 bhp ■■■■■■■ V8 to Bulwark Transport. It remained a one-off, but it is said that a second cab was built, but was used only as a mock-up for filming an episode of Z Cars.

The Viewline was first exhibited at the 1966 Earls Court Show, and featured a series of horizontal grilles across the front. The production version had the first manifestation of the dummy radiator, and amost every exterior panel differed from the two prototypes.

The so-called ‘Bodyline’ was described in all contemporary litertaure as the “full front deluxe cab” - it was the first version of the Mk.1 cab to have twin headlamps, and also featured a concealed radiator and a piece of bright trim around the front. I’ve no idea who started using the ‘Bodyline’ name, but I can find no record of the term until the late 80s to describe a preserved example.

I have just been looking at some internal price lists for 1961 to 1964 - curiously, none make reference to the concealed radiator.

B1 GGK:
Up at the factory it was generally Sedd Atki.

Wrong factory :wink: