Got a old bedford truck in the workshop

I dont just get to work on newer trucks i get to drive this today and am working on it in the morning as its off to a local museum for a few years…it last went on a proper drive at london to brighton 2007…

6 cylinder petrol engine…

parked next to the spitfire on the same airfield as us.

last 4 would look great in B&W as little modern things in them.

A video of it going about 20 mph at its fastest…it was as bumpy as the video does shake a bit couldnt take a video of me driving as it was hard enough driving let alone videoing it…had to cut our drive a little short round the airfield as it started to spit back through the carb and missfireing a lot…working that out in the morning.

:smiley: Very nice tidy old Bedford. Thanks for showing, shame about the lumpy road.

Jayeastanglia are you in dog borstal?

Nice truck

Oh What a beaut! A 1948 Peterborough issued reg no. I wonder who it was new to?

Bedfords you see them everywhere!’ - so went their ad slogan - shame we don’t anymore - great little workhorses.

A friend is restoring a couple of ‘O Series’ Bedfords and is in need of a replacement engine for one of them - does anyone one know where there one available for sale? - Please contact me via Private Message.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers - R

What a lovely motor. Being a fellow East Angle, I’m fascinated to know which airfield, and whether the Spitfire is a permanent fixture?

Is it somewhere around Ipswich / east coast?

rendlesham airfield//bentwaters airfield…which is also where dog borstal is building K9…No I dont work at dog borstal…I work for what used to be Lowery its now called TELENT…
And if anyone does think of coming onto the airfield remember where we took the pics is not open to the general public but some other parts of the airfield is.
The spitfire is at the moment a perment living place along with a few other planes including a ME109…a few stunt planes and 20 or so harrier jump jets in pieces.

What a super restoration job on what was a very popular truck in the mid to late '40s.

If I was really picky I would say that you must change those mirrors to the smaller round ones. Those 7x5s were probably made by Wingard and would not have been produced before about 1963/4.

i never did any resto work to this it was done 2 years ago in the workshop by other fitters…but they did make a lot of mistakes…A few i spotted and a few can be seen in the pics…
front indicators under the bumper.
indicator switch lights up on the right side of dash.
horrible red hooter under bonnet.
tie wraps holding wires up under the body
sticky holders holding wires onto the chassis.
crimp spade connectors.
the mirrors.
rubber mat in the cab.
door handles wrong sort
suppresion caps on the spark plugs.
radial tyres.
a few more but have forgotten them…
But then the fitters did work from nothing at the time …
I was told the truck cost £10000 from auction 3 years ago and was valued at £25000 6 months ago even with the wrong bits on by a professional valuer on classic/vintage vehicles…still it was a nice privalage for me to drive it with no boss beside me.

Brilliant Restoration. Just dont tell him your name, Pike :wink:

last 4 would look great in B&W as little modern things in them.

Ok, a bit of fiddling and you’d never know it was 2008!!..

those B&W pics look great…hadnt got that far yet as been busy all weekend…

And no rubbers on the pedals…highly illegal…i`m gonna report it to vosa :laughing: