Fordson Thames ET6 v8 Civil defence corps

Hi my first post!
I have acquired a beautiful Fordson Thames ET6 v8 Civil defence corps truck
Not running as yet but not into bad shape over all.
I was trying to find out a little about it and what it potental value may be as I bought it to Rat rod up. But it may be of historical significance and worth more kept standard. Could anyone help me shed some light. Any other Thames owners on this site??
Help please
Clint

have you tried the " historical military vehicle forum" they seem to have some very knowledgable members I am sure someone on there will have an opinion and don`t forget some pics, fredm

Cheers fred. I’ll check them out.

I presume it looks something like this, there seems to be one or two about and the HMV guys will likely be the ones to ask as already stated, be a shame to change it from original if it is in good nick.

Fordson Thames ET6.jpg

Exactly the same apart from the rust and scruffy paint lol

There was one standing in a field near Chartley Manor on the A518 between Uttoxeter and the A51 for many years, probably gone by now though?

Pete.

If you get into the magazines on old trucks,ie, Vintage Roadscene, Heritage Commercials and the like as I do, you will find many people with information on any make or model and you’ll find a big movement of people restoring and running such vehicles.
It will certainly be worth more as a restored classic truck.
I was only reading last night something about this model, I’ll check it out and get back to you tomorrow.

That would be fantastic mate.
Thanks for letting me know. Its such an awsome looking beast. I agree it would be a shame to change it, but I seriously could not live with 50mph down hill and a serious lack of brakes. ■■■■■■■■ 150, air brakes and kept looking like original was the plan.

It seems the item to which I was referring was in a copy I passed on over the weekend, but I do remember it stating that the ET6 with the V8 flathead petrol engine, (from the earlier Fordson 7V), was only issued to the Civil Defence, all other variants had the 4 or 6 cylinder petrol and later diesel.
So it may not be quite as rare as rocking horse ■■■■, but there are not many about and I’m sure if you don’t fancy the amount of work that may be necessary, someone would give good money for it.
If you take a look at this month’s Commercial Classics you will see the sort of interest there is going on with classic commercial trucks.

Now thats very interesting. Thank you. Im not a heathen, I can appreciate a machine that has significant historical importance. I could always sell this and buy something less rare that I could play with. It all depends on what it could be worth.

May I ask what magazine and issue please. Id like to get a copy please.

clack:

Because I get through so many classic transport mags, I’m not sure which one it was I saw those remarks in, it could have been Heritage Commercials, or Vintage Roadscene.
If you go to your local W.H.Smith and peruse their transport mag section, there are 4 or 5 different classic truck mags, the relevant issue, I think it could be the July issue, should still be in stock. It was only a small column relating to your vehicle, but it struck a chord when you made your first post, pity you did not post a few days earlier while I still had the mag!
In the back pages of these mags, as indeed the back pages of T & D and Trucking these days, are adverts for old trucks which will give you some idea of the sort of money classic trucks are changing hands for, depending on condition.

clack:

Classic and vintage commercials July issue page 22

Thats great thank you.