First time on class 1

Just wondering how people found their first time out alone doing class 1?
I have had my class 1 for 9 years but never been in an artic since my test. Been offered a class 1 job but having silly doubts about am I doing the right thing at nearly 52 lol

It all depends on ones confidence first time. If you did well in training and found things easy then you probably will have no problem however if you struggled during training then it could be more of a problem.

Since it was 9 years since you drove an artic it would probably be a good idea to get a couple of days to refresh your skills at a reputable training school.

No matter what just take your time and don’t rush anything. If reversing and are not sure get out and have a look or get someone you can trust to tell you to stop before hitting anything.

Good luck.

When I got my Class 1 at 21, my first time out on my own was in my mates brand new motor, pulling a tipper trailer, while he went to the motor show.
I was the world’s worst reverser…so I took my Dad with me. :blush: :laughing:

Then around 98 another mate was starting back after 10 years off it,.so he came away with me for a week as a refresher, the guy I worked for at that time was spot on and he gave me permission.
As Jake says, go for a refresher course or go with a mate for a couple of days.

Just take your time with everything you do and don’t let others pressure you ask about anything you are unsure of and get someone to help you in tight spots, if you’re going to ask someone for help in an MSA etc for reversing ask a European driver as they are far more likely to help you than a UK one who will be to busy filming you on his phone hoping for his 5 minutes of fame on U-tube

No , it’s a bloody stupid idea , you’ve had a license for 9 yrs and you’ve not wanted to use it , what’s changed now other than £££££ , yes there money out there to earn , but the reasons you didn’t want to do it for 9 yrs will still be there , I’ve a mate who did as you suggest , ££££££ , and in his words it’s the worst decision he’s made
There’s 1 million jobs out there , look for something you want to do , life is to short to be miserable for a good part of your day

Go for it your love it I passed my class 1 back in 2007 and didn’t start driving artic till 2017 full time just seem to stick to driving class 2 motors . Then I got myself a job night trunking on class 1 and love it wished I moved onto driving class 1 motors sooner

Driving was fine, its the manoeuvring that’s difficult, hopefully you don’t end up anywhere too tight etc first couple of shifts which should help build you confidence

I would recommend talking to an agency. Tell them you’re a good driver understand large vehicles tachos loads of experience but want to make the jump back to class one so reversing will be a bit of an embarrassment for a few days. See if you can get in with a supermarket RDC or depot to depot trunking, loads of space at the depots, usually. You might be alright on your own, or alternatively a few hours with a good driver in cab giving a few reversing tips to get you back up to speed.

I had the same problem, when I passed my test at 21 years old in the 90s nobody would give me a class one job because of insurance, when I came back to be able to do class one when I was 23 a couple of lads that were the drivers that started an agency give me a few hours of in cab tuition. The only thing is some of the know-it-all warehouse-men will love it if you are a bit rubbish at reversing and will give you ■■■■. Just don’t punch anyone, and after a few weeks, you likely be as good as anyone else most likely.

I saw an Eddie Stobart driver do 10 shunts to get into a motorway services space a few weeks ago, so you’re not alone. If in doubt have a look. Better to take shunts than to do damage.

If you have a towbar on your car, borrow a trailer or caravan to practice with - if you can crack reversing a short trailer, a long one will be a piece of ■■■■

dozy:
No , it’s a bloody stupid idea , you’ve had a license for 9 yrs and you’ve not wanted to use it , what’s changed now other than £££££ , yes there money out there to earn , but the reasons you didn’t want to do it for 9 yrs will still be there , I’ve a mate who did as you suggest , ££££££ , and in his words it’s the worst decision he’s made
There’s 1 million jobs out there , look for something you want to do , life is to short to be miserable for a good part of your day

I haven’t done it for the last 9 years for family reasons, wife works shifts as did I but my son is 15 now so I am now thinking it is now or never.

whisperingsmith:
If you have a towbar on your car, borrow a trailer or caravan to practice with - if you can crack reversing a short trailer, a long one will be a piece of ■■■■

I quite often tow trailers on 12 tonner, roller or diggers normally and have to reverse with them just never reversed an artic since my test.

trucker10:
Go for it your love it I passed my class 1 back in 2007 and didn’t start driving artic till 2017 full time just seem to stick to driving class 2 motors . Then I got myself a job night trunking on class 1 and love it wished I moved onto driving class 1 motors sooner

I know in the back of my head that I want to do it, it’s just the what if I can’t sleep in motor or really struggle with the reversing especially at this time of year in the darker months. Thanks for the advice

I’d say just wing it. You soon get used to it. Better than paying £300+ for a few hours refresher course.
As for reversing just keep getting out to check.

Just go for it.
I went from car licence to Class 1.
Very first job after passing was collecting a trailer from a farm up a very narrow lane then take it to Romania.
I couldn’t get the trailer to move so I rang my (former) instructor & he rightly questioned whether I had taken the trailer brake off - I hadn’t.
No idea but no fear.
Map book routing, multiple currencies in cash, proper borders, payphones only (not that I bothered calling much), reversing onto ferry - all overcome as required.

My example may be extreme, but truck driving is never going to be the job you can have all the answers or experience for when you set off.

Dont let anything pressure you. We were all new and hopeless. My first day on the job the shunter had to reverse for me. Dont believe all the experts who say otherwise.

A couple of months ago I started doing some ad hoc shifts on artics after a long break (5 to 10 years). I was honest about my lack of recent experience and my employer had no problem with me taking his shunt motor and an old flatbed out for a drive one saturday morning - just for a couple of hours to get the feel of it before doing any paid work.

> whisperingsmith:
> If you have a towbar on your car, borrow a trailer or caravan to practice with - if you can crack reversing a short trailer, a long one will be a piece of ■■■■

Excellent idea if you can do it and then as said long trailers are so much easier. If all drivers did this before training they would make life far easier for themselves later on.

> Mainzer:
> > whisperingsmith:
> > If you have a towbar on your car, borrow a trailer or caravan to practice with - if you can crack reversing a short trailer, a long one will be a piece of ■■■■
>
>
> I quite often tow trailers on 12 tonner, roller or diggers normally and have to reverse with them just never reversed an artic since my test.

If you manage that ok you will soon adapt. Just take your time and you will wonder why you ever worried about it.

I think it’s worth a shot Mainzer - feel the fear and do it anyway as an old self help book said :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice everybody, much appreciated