Reversing fears

Hi I’m Paul,

I have had a class 1 licence for a number of years now, but it as been a few years since I used it, I am working as a class 2 driver at the moment, but I really want to drive class 1 again. I would really like to hear about peoples experiences regarding reversing and how they managed to master it.

The reason I ask is that this problem is stopping me from applying for class one jobs, The last time I drove a artic my reversing was dreadful and I gave up after a few weeks. I found it so stressful and the more I tried the worse I seemed to get, the final straw for me came when a bunch of cold store workers took great pleasure in watching me struggle for ages trying to get on a bay, one even stood filming me on his phone.

After that shift I quit and went back to class 2 driving, and it has left me with a great fear of trying again. There are so many more class one jobs advertised in my area and I feel I am missing out.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

It’s by no means easy. I’m fortunate having grown up farming I’ve had plenty of practice. but things to remember would be:

Get the trailer pointing roughly where you want it while going forward.

Build a mental picture of what’s behind you for those moments when you cant see anything in the left mirror.

Don’t be frightened to get out and have a look

Equally, don’t be frightened to ask someone to watch you back. Say please and thank you.

Worj the unit round to get a quick look in the mirror if you can (I know what I mean)

Take your time

Next time you get “workers” looking and taking the Michael, wander over and ask them if they’d like to have a go, most will belt up because it’s very easy to take the urine, it’s not as easy when you’ve to do it.

Take a deep breath or two if you get muddled, it’s not a competition, as long as you don’t hit anything and get the trailer where you want it any reverse is a good reverse.

Hi Paul

Reversing can be the easist or the hardest part best advice I was given when I started was “it takes as long as it takes better to take 10 minutes longer than rush it to look good and hit something”.
As for the cold store workers I would have got out given them the keys and said your turn then watch them scuttle off back inside.if in any doubt ask someone to watch you back its in thier interest to get you done and gone as quick as, never be afraid to ask for help.

Jeff

Look at where you want to put it on the approach and then stop

Now work out how much you can set it up by going forwards and leaving it on an angle with the rear pointing to where it needs to go

Always try to reverse on the driver side even if that means going half a mile down the road and turning around

Unlike the test you can get out and look as many times as you like

If you find that you are delivering somewhere and an artic is about to reverse then ask the driver if you can have a go with both windows open so that driver can yell stop

NEVER be afraid to ask others for help - do not expect them to offer - if they do help then tell them not to keep waving you back but to keep their arms at their sides unless they wish to raise them for you to stop as well as yelling stop
That might seem daft but its easy to see a sudden movement for the ‘banksman’ rather than trying to see if their movements have changed

Very wise words.

Im pretty new to this to and I met a guy the other day who said he’s been doing it 30 years and still hasn’t mastered it!

Like everyone else said take your time and try to enjoy it. Telling people your new is good I have picked up so many tips from just talking to other drivers and watching how they do it.

I love reversing, its what keeps you sharp instead of boring motorway runs.
Its one of those things where one day it will suddenly click into place and youll start finding it a lot easier.
Some very good comments here but i think your biggest problem from reading your post is yourself. Your lack of confidence is not good. Have you got a training school nearby that you can ask for some help one weekend? Don’t let this spoil what you want to do.

Thanks for the replies and great advice,

I seem to remember that one of the main problems I used to have was getting the unit in the right position to start the reverse from, I would pass the bay and turn hard left, but the trailer never seemed to end up in line with the bay, thus making the manoeuvre a lot more difficult than it needed to be.

paul64k:
Thanks for the replies and great advice,

I seem to remember that one of the main problems I used to have was getting the unit in the right position to start the reverse from, I would pass the bay and turn hard left, but the trailer never seemed to end up in line with the bay, thus making the manoeuvre a lot more difficult than it needed to be.

That seems to be the problem - try gently turning left but leaving enough room to turn the unit hard right so its bent ok to see

Each situation will be different so consider all options

If you get the chance to do some shunting work grab it, couple weeks of that and you will wonder what the fus was about.

m1cks, it is a confidence issue!

I recently got offered a good class 1 job that I was meant the start last week, but I bottled it and rang the bloke to tell him I was unable to take his offer.

The place where I am working at the moment (agency) has lots of artics, but its a bit manic and the company want you in and out asap, so not much chance of asking another driver for a go. I defiantly haven’t got the skills to work for them on class 1 as its shop deliveries and some of the drops are a nightmare.

ROG, when I watch over drivers getting on the bay it all seems to happen so quickly, I used to try and replicate this but obviously not with the same results lol

Paul

As said shunting would be a good idea to get your confidence up was doing shops for poundland for 12 months some are a nightmare but thats the way to learn.
1 lad did shops for 2 days and bottled it now goes same place every day but thats not teaching him anything.

As someone said go back to who you took your test with and ask about a saturday morning help with reversing no pressure no one watching be a confidence booster

Jeff

paul64k:
ROG, when I watch over drivers getting on the bay it all seems to happen so quickly, I used to try and replicate this but obviously not with the same results lol

Got a video thingy on your phone which can be slowed down on replay?

Slowly, slowly catchy Monkey.

Don’t be a C–t, take a Shunt.

I’ve been doing this on & off for the best part of 25 years & I’m still useless at getting on tight bays, I tend to reverse half way in then take a forward shunt straightening every thing up in the process.

Lift your tag or lift axle if you can, everything responds quicker.

Once the trailer is on its way, opposite lock on the steering wheel & follow it round with the cab. Keep it slow with small adjustments.

Try not to use the buffers on the bay to stop suddenly, can damage the back of the trailer/door hinges & it’s you that’s gonna be picking the load up ! Judge it when you are level with other cabs but don’t get too complacent, your trailer might be slightly longer or the 5th wheel might be set further back !

If your in a Tautliner- Stow the end Ratchets away properly, don’t leave them hanging out to catch the Suzy’s (just like our night loaders keep doing, because it takes too long to put them away neatly- Grrrrr !!!)

Good practice if you get to play in one is- on quiet roads/industrial estates practice reversing into a road, keeping the trailer wheels 2 ft from the kerb. (Like you do on your car test)

I’m an occasional class 1 driver, full time on an 8 wheel beavertail and about twice a year get lumbered with driving our lowloader.

I never relish the prospect of it and usually avoid it if I can but if push comes to shove I’ll do it and then wonder why I was worried about it. OK I’ll admit I’m not mega with it but can usually sort it out one way or the other and am thick skinned enough to start a manoevre off from scratch if needed.

When I first got my class 1 licence I took that job for about 3 months while the other driver went off to Canada, I mastered it and kept my hand in but as time has passed I’ve done it less and less. Trouble is the only jobs that I can’t do with my 8w are 22t excavators which are about 11’ wide so whenever I get one it’s instantly hard work. Plus our unit is a manual and I’ve got used to Opticruise so it’s a bit of a shock to the system.

Really though it’s just a mental thing, I think you need to have another crack and bite your lip when it gets tough.

Paul - Keep trying - don’t lose hope - NEVER give up - persevere ! :wink:
I was lucky and got plenty of reverse practice from my Dad years ago.But I still manage to mess up every now and again.
Best to ignore the gobsh!tes who like to take the pish,not one of them would have the bottle to do what you’re attempting.
Some great advice here,especially about any training school near to where you live,give them a call if there is.Nothing to lose.

It’s been a great help reading all those comments.

I really need to try again., or spend my life regretting it, I think it’s a good idea to have a morning with a training school, if I can find one with a proper artic unit.

Hopefully I can man up, and finally do the kind of work I really want to be doing.

paul64k:
I think it’s a good idea to have a morning with a training school, if I can find one with a proper artic unit.

And one who will not do it with cones but take you to say an industrial estate with empty units where you can do it for real

Paul
Another thing if you stop the traffic reversing in anywhere take your time dont rush it, wouldnt mind betting most people waiting sat there thinking "wish I could do that ". :slight_smile:

Where abouts are you because if your near west mids theres Westgate training in Aldridge if that helps

Jeff.

paul

firstly this isn’t your test and you can shunt back and forth as many times as you need ,
stop worrying about what you think other people are thinking in reality we have are own problems and haven’t given your reversing a second thought ?

now what I do because even after 15yrs on class 1 I still have to think about how im going to reverse on to that bay or through that gate … just imaging your on the bay and you are going to drive off it what would you do to get off the bay and just do the opersite of that, I know it sounds silly but it works for me and I just tell myself that if another truck has been through that gab then I can get through ? it all comes with experience paul so the more you do it the sooner you will master it and believe me you will master it in three months you will be embarrassed that you even mentioned reversing on here lol … good luck and just crack on it will come …

Daytrunker, I live in Grimsby.