Reversing fears

Take your time and take as much space as you need. Try do do as much as you can going forward so that you just have little corrections to make while reversing. If in doubt get out and look.

Don’t worry how long it takes or who is watching. It takes ■■■■■■■■ to drive an artic so sod them.

Only had my class 1 for 12 months and still have so much to learn but I love reversing. There’s nothing better than someone walking up and complimenting you on getting a big bendy truck in a small gap.

Don’t give up. If I can do it, so can you.

Get Euro Truck Simulator, or, better still, Trucks and Trailers, and a steering wheel. Practice as much as you like.

I haven’t been passed long, passed class 1 in June, and only been actually driving them for about 6 weeks. When I’ve been getting to drops, and its mentioned that I’ll need to reverse onto/into somewhere, I’ve taken to dropping the line ‘I’ve not been driving these too long’ into the conversation, so far it has managed to get me help when it’s been needed, if thats someone to see me back, or just watch and step in with some advice when needed, or something moved out of the way, I’m always glad for the assistance.

So far, I’ve only admitted defeat once, and that was on my 2nd day on containers, banksman said where it needed to be, and how to get in there, then walked off. I spent the best part of 30 mins having a go, until I gave in and asked an experienced driver for some help. We decided between us that it would be best if he put it in there for me, and even he struggled, despite that he made it look so easy.

Best thing I found is to watch the old hands do it… Specially their initial positioning. If you get that right it goes straight in with literally no effort.

Being fairly young and looking younger I’ve been to a fair few places where idiots have stood there with their phones ready for when I mess up… It’s funny how they disappear with their heads down when you’ve got it lined up in one.

You’ve done the right thing is asking for advice.

Why learn from your own mistakes when you can learn from someone else’s

You’ll get there fella just keep on keeping on

No one was born with a licence so it takes an awful lot of practice.I’ve been on hgv’s for 40 years now and little uns before that.The only advice I could give is first,think about the reverse,then use all the room available and take your time.Try to ignore any onlookers.You’ll get there in the end -guaranteed.

This is my biggest fear too! One tip a fellow new driver gave me was every day he’d stop at at least one service station on the motorway and reverse into a spot before carrying on again (time permitting of course). Only adds a few minutes to your journey and (hopefully) each time it should get a bit easier :wink: