Standard driving licence c1

Hi all,

Further to my introduction a few weeks ago, I want to become a hgv driver. At the moment I can’t afford the 3 grand needed to pass the relevant tests, and so I’m hoping to get in at a company in smaller vehicles, prove myself and hopefully get them to put me through the hgv tests at some point in the future.

I noticed on the back of my driving licence, that I already have a few categories, one of which being ‘c1’ lorries up to 7.5t.

Does that mean I could start driving a 7.5t lorry tomorrow if I wanted to or are there other hurdles I need to get over first, i.e., training, certificates etc?

Probably being completely naive here!

If you passed your cat B test before Jan 97 then all you need to drive a 7.5t for money is driver CPC my friend

You need to do the 35 hours driver cpc in order to drive any LGV including C1 commercially

Check out the link in my signature below

Bugger, thanks chaps!

ROG:
You need to do the 35 hours driver cpc in order to drive any LGV including C1 commercially

Can he not take the option if paying £250 and doing a cpc test with a days training rog like a new pass

Dazza1shot:

ROG:

Can he not take the option if paying £250 and doing a cpc test with a days training rog like a new pass

Yes, those that have C1 entitlement already have a choice of doing the CPC test, or doing the 35 hours periodic CPC.

Timd77:
Bugger, thanks chaps!

If you do decide to complete 35 hours periodic training now to make use of your category C1 entitlement you won’t have to sit modules 2 and 4 to gain a category C licence.

Dazza1shot:

He could do modules 2 and 4 as part of gaining a cat C licence, but if he wants to get some work driving 7.5t vehicles in advance of that he will need to do the 35 hours of periodic training.

Glen A9:
He could do modules 2 and 4 as part of gaining a cat C licence, but if he wants to get some work driving 7.5t vehicles in advance of that he will need to do the 35 hours of periodic training.

INCORRECT because doing either will get a 5 year DQC

The downside is that doing tests means they can be failed so most opt for the 35 hours attendace

Best option if possible when got C1 pre 1997 licence would be to go for C and then CE with a provider who has those courses approved for driver cpc hours to gain most or all of the 35 needed

ROG:

So doing modules 2 and 4 will get him a DQC without doing a cat C test (ie modules 1 and 3)?

Glen A9:

ROG:

So doing modules 2 and 4 will get him a DQC without doing a cat C test (ie modules 1 and 3)?

YES because the driver cpc is for LGV as a whole and not for specific categories of LGV

Maybe slightly off topic but is there any benefit in doing C1 training and test rather than C. Looks like they cost about the same.

LE1erRE:
Maybe slightly off topic but is there any benefit in doing C1 training and test rather than C. Looks like they cost about the same.

There is no benefit. Category C1 only allows you to drive vehicles between 3.5t and 7.5t. Category C allows you to drive all rigid vehicles regardless of weight.

I knew about 3.5 to 7.5 limit but just wondered about:

1. easier
  2. good preparation for C
  3. more chance of work with similar salary
  4. better chance of passing C at a later date

Read through the post and sorry for being thick but what’s the conclusion on the best way to be able to drive one for a living?

I’ve applied for a couple of jobs with large delivery companies, just as a van driver, to hopefully make a good impression and get them to help me progress.

Timd77:
Read through the post and sorry for being thick but what’s the conclusion on the best way to be able to drive one for a living?

I’ve applied for a couple of jobs with large delivery companies, just as a van driver, to hopefully make a good impression and get them to help me progress.

No one would ever do their C1 licence mate, as then they would need to take their C and then C+E to drive an artic.
You can jump the C1 step, so unless you want to drive a small horsebox van and nothing more, take your Class C.

Best of luck…

1. easier
  2. good preparation for C
  3. more chance of work with similar salary
  4. better chance of passing C at a later date

It’s more common to go straight to C. But, as far as the above goes:

1. Maybe, but only if you use something like an Iveco Daily (we use one). Interestingly, to get a manual C1 you have to take your test on a manual vehicle. Whereas you can train and pass on an auto C and get a full manual for C (which obviously covers C1 as well). So maybe one advantage outweighs the other.

2. Yes, it could be treated as preparation for C as the training is precisely the same. Just the size of vehicle to get used to. Another interesting little thing is that the C1 vehicle will be unladed whereas the C will have a 5 tonne load. So, in that sense, the preparation doesn’t work. Experience on loaded C1 will counteract this.

3. Not sure about this one. There should be a reasonable difference between the two rates of pay but I know this isn’t always the case. Possibly more employable with a C as a new driver - even when applying for C1 work. Same applies to folks who hold a CE. They stand a really good chance of getting a start on C with progression to CE having proved themselves.

4. As per 2).

In my view, there isn’t a perfect answer but my leaning is towards C rather than C1. BUT, if there is a job offer for C1 and funds are tight, C1 training and test has to be considered. Anyone using this route will not need to take further theory tests and, of course, the driver cpc stands just the same.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete. They cost the same as well so probably not a lot of point. If there was a substantial difference then I would have considered it as a way of testing the waters to see if its for me. Have never driven anything bigger than a transit van so I’m in the dark at the moment.

Just to point out that we charge about £600 less for a C1. Smaller vehicle, lower running costs and a shorter course.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I think the gears will put me off a bit. Is there much difference in pass rates between C1 and C?

Our pass rate for C1 this year is 100% first time compared to 86% for C. But don’t let the gears worry you. We’re talking about a 6 speed, full syncro just the same as on many cars.

Maybe a plan, when you have your provisional, is to book assessment drives in a Daily type vehicle and also a CAT C auto. Having said that, the quality of these vehicles varies so much you’ll need to look around and possibly have at least 2 assessments.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing: