Reversing... please tell me it gets easier :(

So today my partner and I finished our run to Wales early with time to spare… (I have the privilege to drive his artic on L plates through his company to gain experience before my course and test).

So we are in an industrial area where we have had the opportunity to practice reversing as most of everything is closed. Said place even had a bay to reverse onto…

And… I’m struggling… Horribly. I must have tried at least 10 times and only got it right twice… I’m over steering and trying to correct the wrong way… I just balls it up all the time. Please tell me it gets easier and that the penny drops at some point and that the trailer becomes less foreign!

When I did my Cat C I was worried but got it in first try after never driving anything bigger than a car… but this… this I just can’t get. Feeling so despondent.

My test is 3 weeks away

Not being sarcastic so don’t take this the wrong way, but the penny is more likely to drop when you’ve been trained how to do it.

In the meantime, you’re already beginning to sort it out which is clear from your comments.

Don’t beat yourself up - carry on practicing.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Not being sarcastic so don’t take this the wrong way, but the penny is more likely to drop when you’ve been trained how to do it.

In the meantime, you’re already beginning to sort it out which is clear from your comments.

Hi Pete
how much would it cost for a few hours reverse training ?

Peter Smythe:

Thanks Pete… not taken sarcastically at all… I’m aware that my partner is not an instructor… but he can backup in the smallest spaces I have ever seen with minimal effort… he is trying hard to teach… and doing well… I just get confused with the steering! It will come… I hope in time for the test. I don’t want to spend my course days focusing on reversing… it what I need to pass first time.

You screwed it up as you initially got it wrong (as expected) and then put too much pressure on yourself to get it right.
You will be better next time as the penny will have dropped, you just INITIALLY need to work out a system in your head that tells you which way the trailer will go/turn. Give that a few goes and it will start to click! :smiley:

Was it one bay with nothing else around? I find it easier to back onto a bay that has trailers on either side compared to one that is in the open if you get what I mean.

A good way to begin reversing is to try and reverse in a straight line. Then “wiggle” it a bit so you see how much effort (or otherwise) is needed to make it bend and how much more effort is required to straighten it out again.

how much would it cost for a few hours reverse training ?

I think it’s IRO £80 per hour. But a call to the office will give you the accurate figure.

You are likely to need a few hours on road training by a LGV instructor to make certain you are driving it the way the examiners want you to

ROG:
You are likely to need a few hours on road training by a LGV instructor to make certain you are driving it the way the examiners want you to

Hey Rog, I think you have misunderstood… I’m not doing my test without instruction from a school and instructor. I have my C+E booked for the end if the month… 4 days worth of training and test. But I’m lucky to be allowed on L plates now to gain some experience and get my confidence up.

I struggled loads with nerves on my Cat C and I’m hoping the confidence behind the wheel will aid in the nerves being a bit less.

I also struggle with coupling and now reversing… like anything practice makes perfect… so if I continue to practice everything as much as I can now… then the course will be there to focus in my weak points and learn how to fine tune everything in order to make the examiners happy and pass…

Mistiek:
Hey Rog, I think you have misunderstood… I’m not doing my test without instruction from a school and instructor. I have my C+E booked for the end if the month… 4 days worth of training and test. But I’m lucky to be allowed on L plates now to gain some experience and get my confidence up.

AHH … that is a good plan :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Early 90s, I went out with my Brother in Law a few times before my training & test, took a while, then it clicked, sailed through the test, just keep at it & practice as much as possible.
As Pete & Rog are saying, the training will put you right for the test.

Failed my test on the reverse last Friday but ■■■■■■ the driving part with 1 minor… I was fuming with myself as I nailed it countless times when practicing

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Berty:
Failed my test on the reverse last Friday but ■■■■■■ the driving part with 1 minor… I was fuming with myself as I nailed it countless times when practicing

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Oh no!!! So sorry for you… you must be gutted. Failed Cat C first time… second time it was cancelled due to examiner sickness a driver 3rd time nailed it… but honestly hated that gutted feeling… really don’t want to have to go through that countless times again… my biggest hurdle is not that I can drive etc is just that my nerves get to me…

Hence why I am doing what I am now… did the M25 today for the first time going from Wales to Hemel… no issues. Can do tight maneuvering when needed… manage the roundabouts etc… cope with the traffic, roadworks everything… it just really need to sus out the reverse now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Radar19:
Was it one bay with nothing else around? I find it easier to back onto a bay that has trailers on either side compared to one that is in the open if you get what I mean.

This ^^^^^^ if you can put cones or something in the way of the 2 bays either side of the 1 you want,trying to reverse to start with nothing either side is harder than a smaller gap,the smaller gap gives you more to focus on than nothing,the more room you have the more you need.

Wales to Hemel…have they moved the M25■■?

Has a previous post said do some straight reversing putting slight kink on left and right side so u understand how much or not that starts to turn vehicle in the approach to what your reversing at
Don’t know if the test is still the same but u got to put vehicle around a post on left side reverse over to cones then u be watching down the side of drivers side but don’t forget to look at passenger side ( this was 28 years ago lol)
Just don’t let it beat u up
Take your time slowly putting kink in the trailer so u don’t over steer or under steer (when I took test u could take a shunt) move vehicle forward then reverse into bay more or less straight backwards
Keep at it don’t stop or beat yourself up
It will come we all been there
Your instructor should put at least half a day of ur lessons in reversing
Good luck :wink:
After point take high vis vest off whilst in the cab when u pass lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daytrunkers advise is spot on…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheNewBoy:
Wales to Hemel…have they moved the M25■■?

Using the M25 to get to the M4 I presume.

Of course. As with anything, over time. … it’ll always get easier. But give it 6 months to a year before you’re comfortable doing it. That was my window!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk