Reversing

OK so today was only my second run out on my own in an artic but I still cant get my head round the fact that to reverse an artic you have to turn the steering wheel the opposite way to where you want the trailer to go :blush:

Can you still get it there in the end ?

ROG:
Can you still get it there in the end ?

Erm yes :blush:
Friday it took 5/6 shunts to get in to a wide open space, and today another driver took over (admittedly I was trying to get on a bay between to other trailers) :blush:

You drive forward and stop, put it in reverse… do you now start the reverse or do you spend 5 seconds (that’s not long) thinking about it ?

We’ve all been there, and it becomes alot easier with practice. i found the best way to learn was to be chucked into the deep end.

who u working for?? might see you about?

I turn the wheel the wrong way If I’m unit only or in a rigid :laughing:

As a relative newby myself it does get easier, I’m about 4 months in and its getting so much easier :smiley:

Only problem is every now and then something crops up to remind me i’m a novice last Thursday i spent the day backing into some real gits off main roads etc and at the end of the day was chuffed to bits then Friday i did my last drop at T.J Morris - Liverpool back onto bay loads of room (there was even a empty bay at side of me) more or less straight in, pulled out to straighten it up and lost count of the shunts and i bet it took me 10mins to get it between yellow rails :blush: I even got out and scratched my head at one point seriously it was if i just forgot everything for 10 minutes 4 months ago i would have worried/panicked about the other drivers sniggering etc now i just laugh at myself :laughing:

You’ll get there mate. Some of the reverses i have to do farms scared the hell out of me :open_mouth: but as time goes on you will get used to it.

Do what i do, dont be embarassed about having 5/6 shunts, i laugh along with everyone watching, it makes you more relaxed

My reversing isn’t too great that’s why I jumped at the chance to do a few hours shunting per night, immerse myself in the deep end and learn :exclamation:

I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it mate it’ll take time like everything does

my company put me on shunting for a few weeks before letting me loose :smiling_imp: - getting chucked in at the deep end is all well and good but what if you reverse it into someones pride and joy.

Tell you the truth that dsa test is crap - you get taught how to past a test with the most very basic of a reverse. 30 minutes with a shunter trainer will give you loads of tips and tricks :wink:

merc0447:
my company put me on shunting for a few weeks before letting me loose :smiling_imp: - getting chucked in at the deep end is all well and good but what if you reverse it into someones pride and joy.

From my point of view, I’m taking trailers from trailer park to other warehouse on the ind estate, and dropping them in an empty car park so no one’s pride and joys will be nearby, thank god, still taking bets on what I’m going to hit though, will either be other trailers or the fence from what will be round near me.

First time that I went straight onto a bay, I was so chuffed that I had forgotten to open the barn doors!!! :blush:

ROG:
You drive forward and stop, put it in reverse… do you now start the reverse or do you spend 5 seconds (that’s not long) thinking about it ?

I drive forward, stop, put it in reverse and then start the reverse.
Should I stop and think for 5 seconds before reversing then?

DAF you should just ask your gaffer if you can stay on a extra hour on your own time to practice, you’ll come good the more you do it.

merc0447:
DAF you should just ask your gaffer if you can stay on a extra hour on your own time to practice, you’ll come good the more you do it.

Trouble is though my depot isnt open yet, though its just started to be fitted out today, and the depot Im running out of at the moment Im the nominated driver to drive the hire car back each night with a lot of warehouse staff and 6 drivers and they scream at me if Im 5 minutes late back :laughing:
But seriously, if I get sent out properly on my own tomorrow (as opposed to another driver with me and I suspect I will be) then if I get the chance Ill do a few reverses… :wink:

ROG:

DAF95XF:
I drive forward, stop, put it in reverse and then start the reverse.
Should I stop and think for 5 seconds before reversing then?

I usually do if I have not reversed C+E on a regular basis for some time.

For those that do it day in, day out, it becomes second nature after a time (experience) but for those that only do it occasionally or have hardly done it before then a little more ‘think time’ may be required - so what if others are being held up for an extra few seconds… it will still be quicker overall as the initial ■■■■-up will not happen :smiley:

Practice makes perfect and if in doubt get out and have a look. As someone else said after a while of just doing artics you will be making a hash of reversing a rigid.

There are few common mistakes new driver when when reversing, I know I did :blush: and various people took some time to help me. :smiley:

1. For many of us we weren’t born able to reverse an artic, it’s taken a few years of practice and I for one can still make pigs ear of it. :blush: Especially when the most people are watching. :laughing: Nobody ever sees your best reversing. :frowning:
    So calm down and accept that you are on a learning curve.

2. Don’t try and go to fast, and try and keep manourves small if possible. Other wise you end up over correcting and reverse doing a good impression of a snake. :laughing:

3. Which way to turn the wheel? Well it’s quite easy if you follow this rule.
    If you want to straighten up steer into the mirror that has most of the rear of the trailer. if you want to increase the angle steer into the other mirror.

DAF95XF:
Trouble is though my depot isnt open yet, though its just started to be fitted out today, and the depot Im running out of at the moment Im the nominated driver to drive the hire car back each night with a lot of warehouse staff and 6 drivers and they scream at me if Im 5 minutes late back :laughing:

A lot of warehouse staff and 6 drivers…you still can’t get away from buses can you?..lol :laughing: :laughing:

I’ll pass on the advice that was given to me when i started,it’s saved my blushes plenty of times.
When you are preparing to reverse into a bay,gateway,sideroad etc.,always make sure that when you bring the vehicle to a stop(going forward),the rear of the trailer is already pointing the way you want it to go when you start your reverse.
Imagine you’re driving along with a row of bays on your right hand side.
Steer the unit toward the space your going to reverse into,then steer back out as you pass the space(using all the room available),then as the rear of the trailer passes the space,steer the unit the other way again so the unit and trailer are at an angle of between 30 and 45 degrees.You should be left with the rear of the trailer facing the gap you want to reverse into.
This saves you a lot of steering wheel turning and reduces the amount of space you need.
Don’t know if i’ve explained myself very well,hope you understand what i mean.
Good luck.