Quick tacho question from a new driver

I start tomorrow driving a tipper I start at 6.15 at the yard but can’t get loaded until 7am so will leave the yard at about 6.45am,
Apparently the site I am tipping on will still take loads until 5pm and again this is about 15 mins or so from the yard
So I should be driving from 6.45am until about 5.30pm obviously with breaks for loading and tipping (but does this count as other work?) can someone please give me an idiots guide of when and why I should take my breaks

Whitey2104:
I start tomorrow driving a tipper I start at 6.15 at the yard but can’t get loaded until 7am so will leave the yard at about 6.45am,
Apparently the site I am tipping on will still take loads until 5pm and again this is about 15 mins or so from the yard
So I should be driving from 6.45am until about 5.30pm obviously with breaks for loading and tipping (but does this count as other work?) can someone please give me an idiots guide of when and why I should take my breaks

You need 45 mins before exceeding 4.5 hrs of driving. You also need 15 mins before exceeding 6 hrs of work that’s of course if you’ve not already had your 45 mins. I’d guess that if you had 45 mins break at 11.45 you’d be covered .

If poss take a 45 min break starting no later than 1215 and that will cover you for the lot UNLESS you get to 4.5 hours total driving time before then

ROG:
If poss take a 45 min break starting no later than 1215 and that will cover you for the lot UNLESS you get to 4.5 hours total driving time before then

will this not be 5.5hrs driving by then though

bald bloke:

Whitey2104:

You need 45 mins before exceeding 4.5 hrs of driving. You also need 15 mins before exceeding 6 hrs of work that’s of course if you’ve not already had your 45 mins. I’d guess that if you had 45 mins break at 11.45 you’d be covered .

this would be 5hrs by then is this still ok ?

Whitey2104:

bald bloke:

Whitey2104:

this would be 5hrs by then is this still ok ?

Two different rules not to get caught out by …
4.5 hours driving
6.0 hours working (driving + other work added together)

If you have only done 4 hours driving and 1 hour other work = 5 hours working time then you still have either 30 mins driving or 1 hour working time to go

Do not get these confused
1 driving time
2 other work time
3 working time = 1+2

Whitey2104:

ROG:

will this not be 5.5hrs driving by then though

By the sound of it a lot of your time might be hanging about so in 5.5 hrs of work you might have only done 4 hrs if that of driving, I’m assuming it’s a digi card you’ll be using so you’ll get an accurate figure of how much driving you’ve done.

Driving = wheels turning

Loading etc = other work

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing: