Working hours & Breaks

Hi all,

I have in the last few days started back on a tipper for the 1st time in 10 years, after being on either 360’s or various other plant. I started with a local tipper company on Monday. So I start driving at 7am, drive till 10am take a 16min break, drive till 1230-1ish take 35min break. Then drive my 4.5 hours in the afternoon.

I have asked a few other drivers but opions vary and some I’m not sure are legal.

Could someone help clear this one up for me :slight_smile:
Many thanks,
Maccy

Maccy:
Hi all,

I have in the last few days started back on a tipper for the 1st time in 10 years, after being on either 360’s or various other plant. I started with a local tipper company on Monday. So I start driving at 7am, drive till 10am take a 16min break, drive till 1230-1ish take 35min break. Then drive my 4.5 hours in the afternoon.

I have asked a few other drivers but opions vary and some I’m not sure are legal.

Many thanks,
Maccy

For the tacho regs that is fine as long no more than 4.5 driving was done from 7 to 1230

Only got one RTD break question - from 1pm to finish do you do more than 6 hours of driving/other work?

Maccy:
Hi all,

Many thanks,
Maccy

Based on the times you’ve given, as long as you finish work by 19:05, or have another 15 minute break if you’re working past 19:05, you’re fine :wink:

You already know that if you do more than 4½ hours driving in the afternoon you’ll need another 45 minute break … so I won’t mention it :slight_smile:

My usual finish time is 5-530

Maccy:
My usual finish time is 5-530

No probs with any regs in that case :smiley:

My guess is that those who says its illegal do not understand the split 45 driving break rule

Thanks guys, much appreciated :slight_smile:
So how would it work taking my 1230 break if I did want to work till 6pm.

What would the best split option be?
Great help guys

I would have thought that a minimum 30 mins would have to be taken no later than 11:46, to avoid going over 4.5 hrs, on the first stint. Or am I missing something.

cracker-bar:
I would have thought that a minimum 30 mins would have to be taken no later than 11:46, to avoid going over 4.5 hrs, on the first stint. Or am I missing something.

+1

cracker-bar:

not necessarily,its 4.5hrs driving time,so unless he has constantly been driving from 7am till 10am,then constanly driving from 10.16 to 11.46,then that would be the case.
i often have to take a break when the 6hrs WTD is up and still have not done 4.5hrs driving.

Maccy:
So I start driving at 7am, drive till 10am take a 16min break, drive till 1230-1ish take 35min break. Then drive my 4.5 hours in the afternoon.

OP is clearly stating a driving time of 5.14 prior to taking the second part of a split break.

maybe the OP needs to clear up if he was constantly driving in that period.
doing tipper work i very much doubt he was but perhaps he could let us know.

Maccy:
Thanks guys, much appreciated :slight_smile:
So how would it work taking my 1230 break if I did want to work till 6pm.

What would the best split option be?
Great help guys

As long as you don’t accumulate more than 4½ hours driving time without a break of at-least 45 minutes there would be no problem working to 18:00.

From what you’ve posted I’m certain you’re aware of this but … at any time in the shift when you’ve accumulated 4½ hours actual driving time you must have a 45 minute break.

The 45 minute driving break can be split into two parts, the first part must be at-least 15 minutes long and the second part must be at-least 30 minutes long, and they must be taken in that order.

From the times you’ve posted, as long as you don’t exceed 4½ hours driving time before having a 45 minute break or a 45 minute split break, and as long as you don’t exceed 6 hours working time (working time is driving time and other work) without a break of at-least 15 minutes you’re fine :wink:

senior50:

cracker-bar:

+1

You are both missing something - 4.5 driving time not 4.5 total time

The OP clearly states he drives for 3 hrs, takes a 16, then drives for in excess of 2 hrs! He doesn’t say work. Maybe I’m being pedantic, but if you tell me you’ve driven from 0700 to 1000 then I count 3 hrs driving, take a 16 break, then drive til 1230-1300, and there’s another 2hr14-2hr34, if he had said worked those hours then yes he’s legal. But he clearly states it’s driving time.

cracker-bar:
The OP clearly states he drives for 3 hrs, takes a 16, then drives for in excess of 2 hrs! He doesn’t say work. Maybe I’m being pedantic, but if you tell me you’ve driven from 0700 to 1000 then I count 3 hrs driving, take a 16 break, then drive til 1230-1300, and there’s another 2hr14-2hr34, if he had said worked those hours then yes he’s legal. But he clearly states it’s driving time.

It could be read in that way but that would mean all the time stated was driving time with absolutely no other work time which is not realistic so it would be right to assume that he meant duty time

Whilst I agree with what you’re saying Rog, whenever I’m asked for advice on anything that could, if incorrect, have a serious impact upon an individual, I only ever use the facts given. I’ve been caught out before when making what I considered reasonable assumptions. The best advice has already been given, by tachograph, don’t exceed 4.5 hours without a 45 break, however long it takes you to accumulate it.

The op does use the term drive in his post in all fairness

Reason number #1 why the brought in the driver CPC!

senior50:
The op does use the term drive in his post in all fairness

Thanks so much people, invaluable information here. In my OP I stated drive; 99.9% of the time that is the case, the time taken to get loaded and out of most quarries or crusher yards is under 5 mins. At the other end, its generally a case of drive on site, tip and leave, so other work is not really applicable.

One of the reasons that lead to me asking this, was I did also drive a utilities hiab for 5 or so years. So back then driving time was never an issue, my other work was the bulk of my day - with driving time totalling no more than 2-3 hours split over the day.

So what I’m taking from the thread is my breaks are legal, yea ■■ 7-10 (approx) driving 3 hours, break 16 mins. Drive 10:16-11:45-12:15, break 31 mins. Now I have 4.5 hours driving time for the afternoons work.

So options are, as above for 9 hour driving day, yea?

OPTION A -10 hrs driving reduce my morning driving to no more than 2hrs - followed by a 45 min break, drive 4.5hrs - followed by a 45 min break, then I have 3.5hrs = 10hrs driving time?? Yea, All legal??

OPTION B - 10 hrs driving - 4.5hrs followed by a 45 min break, 4.5hrs followed by a 45 min break, then I have 1 hour driving time left; Yea legal??

Many Many thanks to everyone who has contibuted to this thread. I really like the variety of plant/tipper work, but Hiabs/Grab wagon aer nice as its simple to keep yourself legal and meet deadlines :slight_smile:

Also if anyone can contiribute to different 10hr split driving days that would be really helpful.

Thanks again Maccy