Training schools , decisions decisions

Hi I’m new to this forum, I came across it trying to do a bit of research on a company I was considering…
I live in kent and after searching online for a while have come across a place called
The lgv driving company , which say there number one provider for hgv training ,
I’ve posted on here to ask if anyone has used this company or has information before I take the plunge.
Thanks in advance :0)

Hammer76:
Hi I’m new to this forum, I came across it trying to do a bit of research on a company I was considering…
I live in kent and after searching online for a while have come across a place called
The lgv driving company , which say there number one provider for hgv training ,
I’ve posted on here to ask if anyone has used this company or has information before I take the plunge.
Thanks in advance :0)

They sound like a broker to me so best avoid. Whereabouts in Kent are you? I did all my training (Class 1 & 2) with Gordon Springate. They are based in the Kent County showground at Detling. I passed both tests first time.

Hi - 3 in Kent come recommended

Standard advice is to avoid brokers like the plague! Always visit the trainer and make sure you’re comfortable with the set-up. The only exception is to book on rock solid recommendation.

Be aware that, unlike car instructors, there is no compulsory register for LGV instructors. As a result you are in the lap of the gods to some extent. There is a voluntary register run by DSA. There is also a register of DSA Accredited LGV Schools. I’m proud to be in both lists. When you hear these claims, you should always check them out with DSA. Many folk claim to be registered and are not. Simply barefaced lies.

If you want to have a few days away from home, I can offer you a cracking deal. Up to you.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks so much for your responses and help,
I’m in west Malling which is one junction away from Maidstone
I become suspicious of this other company as they are chasing me sometimes daily for the
Fee of the course £1099 which they wanted paid in one go straight away.
I’m also not gona be paying by credit card so have no back up in that front either.
Thanks again.

At Peterborough, ours is currently £1000 including 1:1 tuition, VAT, test fee, driver cpc (Mods 2 and 4 or 35 hours as appropriate) and free accommodation.

That takes some beating.

Must be booked by end April but course can take place anytime to suit you this year.

I didn’t train with Pete myself but having seen so many (positive!) comments from people who have used Peter’s school, and seeing how helpful he is to people on here (even if they aren’t training with him) , if you can manage the week away from home that is certainly the best deal in the UK I have seen at the moment and I would grab it if I were you. You just need a deposit to book.

I recently paid more than that to do C+E and that was without driver CPC.

NEVER pay any money to any school until you have met them face to face

Follow that advice and you will never go far wrong

Great advice people , and thanks very much Pete I will be giving serious consideration ,
Chris

NEVER pay any money to any school until you have met them face to face

… with the exception of me!! Seriously though, the advice is spot on unless you have rock solid recommendation. Some trainers, including me, have a good name for residential training and it not often feasible to visit first. Having said that, a forum member travelled from Durham to Mansfield to have a look at me (booked and passed) and I currently have a gent on the books from Enfield who has been 3 times so far - once to look around, once for medical and once for classroom theory training. He’s staying with us in a few weeks when he does his practical. Out of interest, he’s over 70 and it’s on his bucket list to get his LGV.

Getting a load of positive recommendations for a company from various other members on an open forum like this one without any negative vibes is certainly worth as much as my previous advice